You are my recovery hero Mera x
Old 03-17-2016, 02:40 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

((((((((Mera))))))))
sleep well
Old 03-17-2016, 07:22 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hi Mera:
Most impressive, what you're doing. You're climbing the mountain of recovery roped and led by true professionals and you have lots of nice alcoholics just like you and you can do this together. Now, gradually you will get up MOMENTUM and when you come roaring out of there make sure you have some kind of aftercare. The first few months after rehab are tricky and you have to be careful. There will be something inside you (the famous AV) which will be whispering, "I'm perfectly fine now. I can do it on my own. Don't need help. Can feel my way along in sobriety." Don't fall for it! You have been given and have given yourself the most precious thing of all. Sobriety. It's like a young plant, just sprouting from the ground in the Springtime. Be very careful of it and it will grow tall and strong. I planted an elm tree near our house thirteen years ago. It was only five feet tall. I watered and fertilized it carefully and it's now around sixty feet tall, its branches reaching out another thirty feet sideways. Its trunk at least a foot or more thick. It got the help of water running down the hill from the house. That's you and the water nourishing you is all the help you're going to get in the rehab and the courage and companionship of the friends you make there and meet afterwards. All climbing together up the mountain of recovery. And that means us on this SR site, whom you are helping so much by all the reports of your wonderful progress! Every good wish to you, Mera!

Bill
Old 03-17-2016, 07:33 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

so good to hear you sounding so good, Mera.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:47 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Good job to you! I'm glad you're feeling good about your decision to go. Please keep posting about how you are doing.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:51 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

You can do it!
Old 03-17-2016, 10:20 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

You're doing this!!

So proud of you!
Old 03-18-2016, 01:39 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Morning all, another early morning drip for me, followed by the meds. But good news, I got my plain yogurt this morning. I was amazed. I had just mentioned it to the doctors yesterday and they kind of said "ok, no problem" but didn't write anything down and just left for their next visit. I was sure they would forget about it. But sure enough this morning I asked the breakfast staff about the yogurt and she said, "oh, yes, the doctors called and said to give you yogurt"
I get the feeling that nobody here lets you down ever. My favourite nurse, Igor, came to give me my IV this morning. He is the most careful and gentle, always finds a towel to put under my arm to make sure I can rest comfortably and go back to sleep without bending my arm.
I've had a couple of moments of really bad frustration and cried a bit. I still feel some really strong cravings for alcohol. I think to myself "god I want a glass of wine so bad I could just scream" But the others here are helping. If they see me angry or crying they remind me it has only been 3 days and it takes time. They assured me they felt the same and that with the group therapy and private meetings with the psychologists I will learn to deal with it better. I hope so.
The place here has a mix of people. There are anorexics which are kept in a completely separate part and we never see them. There are some fighting obesity and overeating and they are in the lunch room with us, but otherwise not out and about. The people here for DBT for depression, borderline personality disorder, etc are out and about with us, the alcoholics. There is also a nursing home type area for older people with dementia and Alzheimer's. There is an old lady who saw me passing her room and said hi. She heard my accent and asked if I was American. I told her I was and she said that she used to speak English and then spoke to me in English some. Yesterday one of the other alcoholic girls came knocking on my door and said the lady was looking for me. She said "don't worry, I can tell her I can't find you if you don't want to go" But I felt like a little bit of duty and giving back will make me feel good. I'm not so much in the mood right now with all the meds, but I did stop by her room and chatted for about 10 minutes. She was very confusing in Italian but then when she spoke in English it came out quite well. Very interesting, I am sure there is something scientific about that. Obviously not fluently, but coherent train of thought, etc. She was happy for the visit. I wish I could have stayed longer but I just wasn't feeling so clear headed myself. Once they start lightening my meds I might try to go see her once a day. Off now for a crappy coffee from the machine (they don't serve us coffee at meals, but you can buy it from the machine- a far cry from the typical Italian cappuccino!) a little sun with my new friends and then we all have to be in our rooms at 10 for the medical visit. Have a great day friends.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:01 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you're doing well.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:56 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Do your best

Really happy at how well your doing Mera
Old 03-18-2016, 10:05 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Yes, Mera. The coffee from a machine is always guaranteed to be pretty awful. Maybe the machine has cocoa. Sometimes eating something sweet lessens the craving. Why not ask the doctor about medication to lessen craving also. I gather that there are some good ones available. Anyway the craving always lessens with time. But it's hard to be patient when you aren't feeling well. I found it helps to talk to people. Drink lots of liquids. Flush the alcohol out of your system. Give the little neuron receptors time to adjust.Eating well helps. Helps the liver recover. Amazing thing that liver! Mine really bounced back, amazing the doctors. One day at a time. Each day a little better. The path gets easier as you go. Courage, stamina, patience. Be a heroine. Sounds like you've got the makings of one!

Bill.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:08 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Thanks to all of you for getting me here!
It is by no means luxury, but it is nice, calm, comforting, clean and the care is beyond excellent. The only tiny critique I got is that I save my fruit they give for dessert at each meal. It is an apple a pear an orange or a banana. I put it in my purse and save it for later. But I've accumulated quite a collection. Today the orderly said "listen dear, either you eat that collection of fruit or I'm going to have to take it away" So I ate three oranges today and will have a banana before bed. If I wake in the night like last night I'll have an apple or something.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:13 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
Yes, Mera. The coffee from a machine is always guaranteed to be pretty awful. Maybe the machine has cocoa. Sometimes eating something sweet lessens the craving. Why not ask the doctor about medication to lessen craving also. I gather that there are some good ones available. Anyway the craving always lessens with time. But it's hard to be patient when you aren't feeling well. I found it helps to talk to people. Drink lots of liquids. Flush the alcohol out of your system. Give the little neuron receptors time to adjust.Eating well helps. Helps the liver recover. Amazing thing that liver! Mine really bounced back, amazing the doctors. One day at a time. Each day a little better. The path gets easier as you go. Courage, stamina, patience. Be a heroine. Sounds like you've got the makings of one!

Bill.
Oh yes, they are loading me up. I have the valium/vitamin/mineral drip twice a day. The four times a day I take 2 librium (spelling?) for cravings, then the other medications that they have decided I need- mood stabilisers, an antidepressant. They are so nice. They deliver them to your room or come find you if you are out and about.
I am really hoping that starting tomorrow they will cut out the afternoon valium, it is too much for me I think, I feel so drugged. The others here told me that they go heavy on you at the start and then start to taper things. I really, really hope that starting tomorrow I can do the iv drip just once a day. Especially because the afternoon one is at 2pm and right after I have the alcohol group, then the behavioural group and then my meeting with my psychologist. I want to be steady and of sound mind for those appointments.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:18 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Do your best

I'm so happy reading your optimism and sobriety Mera x
Old 03-18-2016, 10:35 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

From your description, it appears to be a really fine facility--and you are making the most of it.
Hopefully you'll be off the meds soon but they must know what they're doing
so be patient if you can.

I never got to go to rehab and have always wondered about it--
thanks for sharing the "daily life" of what it is like.
You already sound much much better Mera. . .
Old 03-18-2016, 10:43 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

You're a great writer...I feel like I'm right there with you.

I'm so grateful you've found a soft place to land...I hope you can keep updating us.

Big hug.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:48 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Mera! I'm so happy for you. Your experience sounds great. I think it DOES sound luxurious to have calm, clean and comforting care. That is how I felt when I went to treatment. It felt safe.

Please do keep us updated on how you are doing.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:05 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
You're a great writer...I feel like I'm right there with you.

I'm so grateful you've found a soft place to land...I hope you can keep updating us.

Big hug.
I feel the same. And I think your description of the facility, and your experience there, may very well help persuade others to take the brave step to try inpatient treatment.

Keep the updates coming. It is inspired reading.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I agree with first-person that all you say offers up a good description of a safe, comfortable and caring environment that should persuade anyone to seek help and not be afraid. You are a great writer. I look forward to your posts and hearing just how well you are doing! You are a hero! ♡ CR
Old 03-18-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

I am happy to hear I am not boring people. If I help even just one person get the help they need then it will be worth it.
After lunch I had the iv and then straight to the behavioural meeting. There is one of those every day at 15:00. The Friday topic is always interpersonal communication. Today we took a little test and then talked about our results- things that cause us anxiety and then talked about ways to deal with that. I spoke up fr the first time. Afterwards several members of the group thanked me for what I said and said it was a good input and helped.
I was exhausted but it was so sunny today so I sat outside for a bit to get some sun. I am drinking an insane amount of tea. Like obsessively, it is to the point that it is worrying that it might be a new obsession. It isn't even that good, but it is the exact same tea that was given to me when I was in the hospital after both of my son's births. So something about it brings back a nice, comforting memory.
Tonight dinner was so-so. A bean soup, which I love, but I definitely make much better at home. Then pizza. With cooked celery as a side- random. Generally the food is quite good though, just not tonight.
After dinner I took a shower and then went to get another tea from the machine. there were a lot of people hanging out listening to music. I hate that room because it is the indoor smoking room. I have started smoking again but I don't like to smoke inside and be surrounded by 15 other people smoking. But it looked so fun and jovial that I took a seat, got my tea and lit up myself. One guy has a portable wireless stereo and takes requests via spotify. We listened to music, he played a few of my favourite tunes. I said that I love to dance but didn't feel comfortable yet- both in the new environment and also sober. He said "it'll come, just take your time" We had a lot of fun. At med time though I got my pills and came to bed. They knock me out so I was ready to call it a night. I'll have to wake up tomorrow between 5:30-6:30 for the iv anyway, best to get some sleep.
Tomorrow my boyfriend is coming to visit. I'm not allowed to leave the facility yet so we'll have to stay here, but they have a nice little olive grove where we can go sit or have a little nap in the sun.
I'll see if I can upload some pictures.