Notices

The rehab report

Old 03-16-2016, 10:12 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Mera - you have prolly just made one of the most important decisions of your life. Good for you. So happy for you. So proud of you.

Best wishes. Please post as much as you feel like. It's very interesting and helpful to all of us on this site. You'll never over-post this thread!

Olivia
Old 03-16-2016, 10:13 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I am glad everything is going well for you. Thanks for keeping us updated and sharing your journey!
Old 03-16-2016, 10:16 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Mera, thank you for the water tip, it makes sense to me. I'm so glad you're doing well.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:06 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Fantastic Mera, so glad it's going well . . . and don't worry about posting too much!!

I think it's fantastic the step you've taken!!
Old 03-16-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

In bed now. I hung out a bit after dinner, there are some really nice and frankly cool people here. One guy with a PhD in philosophy, studied in the US and lived in London for a bit so we can speak in English right now that I am so groggy and the Italian isn't coming out so much. My table mate is a cool girl, about my age who works in a bank. She is really friendly and nice. I've also made friends with another woman who has a vacation home in the seaside town I live in. We planned to exchange numbers and have a delicious, alcohol free dinner when she heads that way. Today I was lamenting that in my confusion and sadness while packing I packed a ton of tops but only brought the jeans I wore in. Later a man came and found me and gave me a pair of his sweatpants. he said "don't worry, they are brand new, you can have them" Isn't that nice? All of the staff are so friendly and greet me warmly by my name, even if they have trouble pronouncing it!
People come to clean in the morning and make my bed. I told them to not worry, I can do that myself but they sid "don't worry dear, we are here total care of you and your only worry should be relaxing and working on your recovery. There is a little intercom in my room and they call me there to remind me of my appointments or announce it over the microphone in the public area if I am in not in my room. I don't even have to worry about remembering appointments. They won't let me use the gym yet, they say I am too unsteady with all the detox meds, but I hope I'll get the all clear on that in a few days. The doctors come by tomorrow and the lunch people said I could ask them for a few things I want to eat. I'd prefer to have plain yogurt as my breakfast instead of the typical Italian biscuits (cookies) or bread and jam. I'd also like to have a salad with my lunch and dinner and they said it was no problem as long as I asked the doctors. They seriously could not be more accommodating or kind.
Getting here was tough. Giving up, giving in, letting go and trying to plan for all of the responsibilities I left at home was tough. Also the fear of what it would be like, but this, only 2 days in, is the best thing I've ever done. There is no doubt in my mind that this is what I needed in order to create a solid foundation for my recovery. I know there will be more hard work here and even harder work when I get out, but with this push I really think I can do it.
Anyone considering rehab, give it a serious, serious consideration. I couldn't recommend it enough... thus far. Tomorrow when they wake me at 5:30 am for the iv I might say differently!
Just waiting for the nightly med delivery and then off to bed.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:52 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hope you sleep well Mera. Thanks for the water tip! I am really interested too with how you are getting on. Hope you have a good day tomorrow
Old 03-16-2016, 02:57 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Sounds like things are going really well
I appreciate you taking the time to share
Sleep well and "see you" in the morning Mera--
Old 03-16-2016, 02:58 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

So glad it's going well, Mera! What you are doing will be a big help not only for you but for countless others on this site who have fears and doubts about rehabs. This adventure will provide you with a marvelous opportunity to begin a fine recovery. A very precious gift indeed! Congratulations on a wonderful start!

Bill.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:03 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

(((Hugs))), Mera! Happy to hear you are taking care of yourself - you deserve this. Good to hear from you.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:37 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Sweet dreams, Mera! We are all so happy for you!
Good Night
Old 03-16-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Old 03-16-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Mera - I'm just catching up with all your news. It's far from boring to read how positive, hopeful, and grateful you sound. I'm so proud of you for taking this huge step forward in your life. You're inspiring others, for sure.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:05 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

Ciao Bella! Grazie for sharing your experience with all of us, and congratulations on getting to the wonderful place you are! Please keep posting as you are an inspiration to many of us👍
Old 03-16-2016, 07:57 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Mera Love your posts, please keep writing whenever you feel like.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:04 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I slept AMAZING last night, like a rock. I woke only when they came in at 6:30 (better than 5:45 yesterday!) to give me the iv. But they put it in gently and turned out the light and back to sleep I went. They came in a half an hour later to take it out and then arrived another nurse to give me my pills. I then went back to sleep, I was so tired. Fortunately someone came knocking and told me I needed to go to breakfast. It is obligatory to go to every meal. After breakfast I came back and slept some more until the doctors made their rounds about 10:30. They asked me for the 370 question questionnaire they gave me yesterday and I explained I had done about 95% but had a few questions about some words in Italian. Fortunately one of the doctors on the team (about 6 come in at a time) speaks decent English and told me he'd come back later to help. He did and we went through the problem questions together. We then had lunch which was quite good- pasta with a salmon cream sauce for first course and then a spinach souflee and cannellini beans with olive oil. After lunch I came back to my room to rest and then at 2pm they arrived for the second iv. The afternoon behavioural group was cancelled due to the doctor being sick so I was free to rest. But later my ex sister-in-law came for a short visit. She brought me an extra pair of pants, an orchid and some soap to wash my clothes. It was nice to have a visit and just sit. She understood I was pretty drugged up, sad, everything and didn't have much to say. Afternoon tea and meds then I went outside to visit with the others, they are all so nice. Now I'm back in my room for some quiet time and soon will go to dinner.
They came by to tell me the menu for tomorrow and I asked if I could have a salad with my meal and they said it was no problem. For the yogurt for breakfast I have to ask permission from the doctor- not sure why. But they said it was usually no problem.
Good day but I am really, really groggy and tired.
I cried a bit in the alcohol meeting yesterday when the psychologist mentioned something about children. She brought it up later in our meeting and we talked a lot about my guilt.

She also said something important that I think will help others. I can't remember the exact context but she said that alcoholism is something that touches any type of person and we shouldn't feel bad, only good for getting help. She said in her years working here she has seen priests, lawyers, construction workers, nuns, housewives, bankers, waitresses, psychologists, doctors, rich, poor, young, old, every type of person possible.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:09 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Sorry for all the error and kind of confusing posts. I'm doing my best but am under the influence of a LOT of meds right now. They said they would start tapering things tomorrow. Tomorrow only 1 iv for sure, that should help, that once knocks me out, I can't even walk straight.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:05 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

In bed now, I was a little bit more social tonight after dinner. I had been coming straight to my room. But tonight I got an tea and hung out with the others listening to some music. One of them has a jambox and hooks up his spotify to it and takes requests! I asked for "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley. Which once started, most people left, I think they like more upbeat tunes. But in any case, later we were all hanging out and chatting. Everyone is so nice, they ask me about my kids and want to see pictures. I just got my meds though and am about to crash. The good news though, as I mentioned above, tomorrow I only have the morning iv drip and don't have to do the afternoon one. That should help lift the fog a bit.
Lunch tomorrow sounds delicious too, artichoke risotto for first and then grilled fish for second with my salad I asked for.
Totally random and useless news I think now that I've written it, but again, I'm a bit loopy.
See you tomorrow friends.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:08 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks for checking in again, Mera.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:11 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Thanks for sharing. I love hearing what you are experiencing. Take care, ♡CR
Old 03-17-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Congratulations for 2,000 posts Meraviglioso!