SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Back again (again) (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/386840-back-again-again.html)

immri 03-15-2016 06:02 AM

Back again (again)

Hi guys, I've strayed from here a bit but lately I've been really struggling,

I had been doing really well until one of my closest family members died 6 days ago, and then having to deal with should I go to the funeral and see some really abusive family members I have had nothing to do with since I was 18...well, that was stressful. I didn't drink, but absolutely wanted too, first time in months I even thought about it.
I was able to get through that(I thought) but someone in the house has just now bought a bottle of vodka home, and I mean I've made it very clear I don't want alcohol around me...But now it's sat on the counter and I'm thinking of some very good reasons to have it.
I've been reading through reasons to drink today, but even that isn't helping - it normally knocks me back to reality!:a043:

Bunny211 03-15-2016 06:16 AM

Hi there. You will regret it if you drink but you will never regret NOT drinking!
Can you go for a walk?
Get yourself a coffee or milkshake or something good?

ChloeRose63 03-15-2016 06:16 AM

Well, just thinking about Vodka makes me sick. In fact, thinking about how sick a hangover makes you feel should deter you from drinking again. If you can pour it down the drain. Take a drive and find a dumpster and fling it in it. I don't think you will be climbing in it to retrieve it. Just get it out of your sight. If it belongs to someone else give it to a neighbor to keep. How embarrassing it would be to knock on their door and ask for your booze back so you could get drunk. Remember you are in control so take control.

courage2 03-15-2016 06:20 AM

How about put a big paper bag or box over the bottle, write a skull & crossbones on it in big marker, add in a note that says "this goes or I do", and enjoy a bowl of ice cream & some good music?

Just don't drink until midnight. Let tomorrow (and yesterday) go.

:) :) :)

immri 03-15-2016 06:31 AM

Thanks for replying guys!! It's late here, anytime after sundown isn't very safe to walk in these parts and at 10pm my neighbours won't be answering the door.

I already left a very passive aggressive note haha

immri 03-15-2016 06:32 AM

Oh to clarify its not my booze so I can't really get rid of it
OR can I? It's more my house than theirs...

ChloeRose63 03-15-2016 06:41 AM

I really like the skull & crossbones idea! Then it really is labeled correctly :
:GrossL: POISON:c001:

Soberwolf 03-15-2016 06:43 AM

You can introduce boundaries asking politely for not leaving alcohol around ?

I'm really sorry for your loss Immri :grouphug:

immri 03-15-2016 07:29 AM

There's a no alcohol rule in the house
But I guess that's not clear enough for some

courage2 03-15-2016 08:13 AM

I think being direct about this would do you some good. Let it out (respectfully of course), and don't drink over it, or feed resentments either.

:)

Anna 03-15-2016 08:14 AM

Immri, it's not a good idea to choose to be around people who are abusive, whether they are family members or not. This is a time when you need to be selfish and focus on what is right for you.

CaseyW 03-15-2016 08:51 AM

You've done the right thing coming back here and asking for help, immri. If no alcohol in the house is the rule, then by all means get rid of it. Wishing you the best and hope you'll stay close to us today.

Dee74 03-15-2016 03:47 PM

I'm glad you didn't drink Immri - good to see you again, too :)
I think it's perfectly ok to expect others to abide by the rules you lay down?

D

Hevyn 03-15-2016 03:55 PM

I'm happy you wanted to come back & talk things over, Immri. We're always here to listen and help if we can.

Misssy2 03-15-2016 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by immri (Post 5851975)
Hi guys, I've strayed from here a bit but lately I've been really struggling,

I had been doing really well until one of my closest family members died 6 days ago, and then having to deal with should I go to the funeral and see some really abusive family members I have had nothing to do with since I was 18...well, that was stressful. I didn't drink, but absolutely wanted too, first time in months I even thought about it.
I was able to get through that(I thought) but someone in the house has just now bought a bottle of vodka home, and I mean I've made it very clear I don't want alcohol around me...But now it's sat on the counter and I'm thinking of some very good reasons to have it.
I've been reading through reasons to drink today, but even that isn't helping - it normally knocks me back to reality!:a043:

reinforce your power and your right! Ask the bottle to be removed from your household....Then you will feel more powerful than the alcohol!:a043:

thomas11 03-15-2016 05:44 PM

First, immri, very sorry to hear your situation. I read awhile back on this site that one thing we need to learn in sobriety is new coping mechanisms. We used alcohol as the "go to" for everything. We need to learn how to navigate these situations alcohol free. It sounds like you are doing it. So good job.

duane1 03-15-2016 06:13 PM

You will really regret it if you drink. Remember, "I will not drink today!".

PurpleKnight 03-16-2016 12:51 PM

Welcome back Immri, so sorry to hear of your loss!! :hug:

immri 03-16-2016 01:23 PM

Thanks for the support guys
Wow things got so much worse so quickly. I asked for the booze to be removed, yelled at and told to calm down stop acting like such a drama queen. Well you guessed what happened next, used it as an excuse and had a drink. Fell off the wagon hard this time ugh

Leonidas 03-16-2016 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by immri (Post 5854411)
Thanks for the support guys
Wow things got so much worse so quickly. I asked for the booze to be removed, yelled at and told to calm down stop acting like such a drama queen. Well you guessed what happened next, used it as an excuse and had a drink. Fell off the wagon hard this time ugh

Sorry to hear that. I would of dumped it, guaranteed that would of been the time that person left some in the open like that.