Notices

First Post 5 days sober

Old 12-12-2015, 11:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Post 5 days sober

I have been an alcohlic for decades. I surprised I only learn of this recently Admitted it-

I hadn't planned posting but reading your posts I wanted to help if I could. I have tried stopping many times. always the same result. A few drinks here, a few there then I'm off to the races. It's that craving (little voice) that makes think about drinking. I can say NO many times but it never stops until I take a drink. 6 days ago I was drunk again. I woke up in a panic. I looked up an AA meeting. Honestly it felt like I was watching someone else driving and walking trough the door of the meeting. After the meeting a guy walked over and started talking to me. He was very friendly and offered more and more help. Said something about God having a part in us meeting. I have learned it is very unusual for AA but he became my sponsor within an hour. If you have never been to a meeting I strongly recommend going to 2 or 3 different ones before deciding it's not for you.

What I've learned:
Whenever I hear the "little voice" (think about drinking) I say to the voice "I'm powerless against you". As bizarre as it sounds the "voice" stops. Reverse psychology is suppose.

I'm not religious but was told to pray for help with recovery. I do it once before bed and once upon waking.

Just these two simple things seem to have made a Big difference for me.

I also learned that helping others stay sober is a good way to stay sober.

Last edited by Dee74; 12-15-2015 at 12:38 AM. Reason: my mistake - D
Old 12-12-2015, 11:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

D
Old 12-12-2015, 11:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, chrcarlson! It's good to have you with us. Admitting the problem is the first step to beating it. You'll find a lot of support in your fight from the folks here at SR.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome chrcarlson ,

Nice positive post I wish you well .
Old 12-13-2015, 12:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome and it's great you've taken action. I remember my first meeting well and the friendliness blew me away. All the best on your journey.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Carlson
Old 12-13-2015, 01:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I appreciate the kind sentiments. There is one thing you maybe able able to help with. I need new friends and activities to enjoy. I tired finding AA groups that are active in sailing, hunting or other social activities. Evidently there are none. I am going to continue AA but would like to find sober groups that do fun things. I need a lifestyle adjustment. Do any such groups exist in Dallas-Fort Worth?
Old 12-13-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Chrcarlson!!
Old 12-13-2015, 11:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

This is the only place on earth where we can talk, type, as long as we want about our problems w alcohol. Many will listen, many will help.

If no sober hiking/hunting group exists you can start one. Post an add on Craigs list.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

3 more days sober. I feel much better. My mind isn't so fuzzy. I think fear is helping me not to drink. I know that isn't a long term solution.

Thanks D122y,
Old 12-14-2015, 10:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well done !!!
Old 12-14-2015, 10:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post, I'm going to try reverse phycology on "the voice". All the best to you mate
Old 12-14-2015, 10:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hello Sean30. It's the first step in AA but they don't explicitly say to think it when you get a craving. It seems to lesson my craving a great deal. Let me know if it works for you.

I also have a few people from AA I can call. I haven't had a real "crisis" but have done it a few times just to talk and make it easier to do if I ever really need to. If you don't go to AA you might get on the Chat here a few times so if you ever have a strong craving your very comfortable using the chat. One more tool in the box.

I wish you well, my friend.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello fellow Texan.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

8 days is great progress!

D

Last edited by Dee74; 12-15-2015 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chrcarlson View Post
I appreciate the kind sentiments. There is one thing you maybe able able to help with. I need new friends and activities to enjoy. I tired finding AA groups that are active in sailing, hunting or other social activities. Evidently there are none. I am going to continue AA but would like to find sober groups that do fun things. I need a lifestyle adjustment. Do any such groups exist in Dallas-Fort Worth?
Not that I've heard of but I'll ask around and get back to you. Also congrats.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

99 days

My first post seems like a very long time ago. 99 days sober now. That's a long time for me to go without drinking, a new world record for ole Chris.

Lately the cravings/thoughts of alcohol have been up a bit. I suppose it an up and down thing with early recovery. I'm still going to meetings. They are helpful. I need to buckle down and complete step 4. It's 8am and I've been awake for 2 hours. For the last week I've been getting up early-that's a good thing. I haven't been getting much done but am hoping that will change...if I don't spoil it with drinking. I've spent too many days hungover in the past. What else? I feel I'm in the doldrums neither here nor there. I feel I'm in the doldrums, not a drunk and not enjoying a great sober life. I'm slowly working through my legal problem-no more problems there. I passed my Alcohol and Drug evaluation. Then again I studied, I didn't want to be forced to go to AA. I told my sponsor the questions were subjective and vague. It's been so long since my hands were shaky how am I suppose to remember? And blackouts are by definition impossible to remember. Yep, I lied. I'm still going to AA but didn't want any more State involvement in my life. I don't think my sponsor was pleased. Maybe I should have been more truthful but the Court is on my back enough. Tonight I go to a Victims Impact Panel. I could sit on both sides. The damage was done by a drunk driver 30 years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Right Knee21002-2.jpg (59.3 KB, 86 views)
Old 03-17-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hang in there. 99 days is fantastic! The only time I really managed to quit (only 23 days as it turned out) I wound up in the "doldrums" too. It's a lousy place to be but I think it means "it's time to buckle down and grow some more." I didn't want to and gave up.

Don't do it!
Old 03-17-2016, 08:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on 99 days. Maybe doing that 4th and 5th step will break you out of the rut you seem to think you're in.

As someone who went back out drinking after 145 days last year, I can assure you that it doesn't get any better out there. Wishing you the best as you move toward triple digits tomorrow...
Old 03-18-2016, 06:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks! I felt sorry for the two speakers at the victims impact panel. They both lost loved ones. I was a bit resentful. 169 people paying $40 each free venue. Where does all that money go? Some to politicians that pass laws forcing folks to go and pay MADD. Is there such a thing as good corruption? The female speaker passed around photos of her son's car and spoke of how horrific his injuries were. The car still had four tires. Her son's death was senseless. I thought about the young solider killed moving gravel and the female LT impacted with a 80mm mortar. She was KIA walking to the DEFAC to get a ham sandwich. Cleanup involve 3,000 gallon of super chlorinated water. You could still smell her for weeks. She seemed to be trying to horrify the audience and all I could think was "lady I've seen a lot worse." "Sorry for you son but it happens out there." It was wrong and I do feel bad about it. I can't un-see or un-experience things. I just didn't feel the horror or sympathy the class was intended to inculcate.