Notices

One week today and first AA meeting

Old 03-14-2016, 02:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One week today and first AA meeting

Hello everyone today marks one week sober .
I attended my first AA meeting today which was a strange but warm experience. I found it strange that everyone who talks says there an alcoholic then everyone says hello to them and then everyone thanks them for speaking.
I also, being a nosey person , and always having worked with vulnerable people found it difficult when people spoke that I wasn't able to ask questions about their circumstances and their life.
On a plus side everyone was kind , nice and supportive and in early recovery think I will find it useful.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good work on one week. That's terrific.

I attend AA meetings. I enjoy going. The longer you attend, the more you will know about people's lives and circumstances.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on one week! And well done for attending a meeting. Keep at it, you'll get used to all that stuff.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

good on ya!
yeah, being in a structered, disciplined, environment where people were allowed to speak without being interrupted was pretty new to me,too, which was just another place i had to learn how to conduct myself- showing respect wasnt a strong point of mine.
the great thing is theres time before and after meetings to ask questions.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations
Old 03-14-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on one week and for taking that big step in your recovery by going to an AA meeting. I love the welcoming spirit at AA meetings.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

It works if you work it.......good for you on taking action!
Old 03-14-2016, 03:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Way to go on your week jtmlk

D
Old 03-14-2016, 03:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

One week is awesome, Jtmlk!

About AA meetings, I just think it improves the flow of things if there is no cross-talk or asking questions. This seems to be a tradition at most meetings. But what is really amazing about AA is the established "12 Traditions" which ensure the perpetuation of AA:
  1. Our common welfare should come first; personal recovery depends upon A.A. unity.
  2. For our group purpose there is but one ultimate authority—a loving God as He may express Himself in our group conscience. Our leaders are but trusted servants; they do not govern.
  3. The only requirement for A.A. membership is a desire to stop drinking.
  4. Each group should be autonomous except in matters affecting other groups or A.A. as a whole.
  5. Each group has but one primary purpose—to carry its message to the alcoholic who still suffers.
  6. An A.A. group ought never endorse, finance, or lend the A.A. name to any related facility or outside enterprise, lest problems of money, property, and prestige divert us from our primary purpose.
  7. Every A.A. group ought to be fully self-supporting, declining outside contributions.
  8. Alcoholics Anonymous should remain forever non-professional, but our service centers may employ special workers.
  9. A.A., as such, ought never be organized; but we may create service boards or committees directly responsible to those they serve.
  10. Alcoholics Anonymous has no opinion on outside issues; hence the A.A. name ought never be drawn into public controversy.
  11. Our public relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion; we need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio, and films.
  12. Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of all our traditions, ever reminding us to place principles before personalities.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to the fellowship Jtmlk.

Congratulations on your sober time.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great news...well done Jtmlk ..a one week candle, can't afford a cake cos Im on the dole haha
Old 03-14-2016, 08:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Happy one week anniversary! Glad you're here