Notices

Had a slip up last week

Old 03-14-2016, 11:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Had a slip up last week

Like the title states I had a slip last week (Monday) and drank a good amount of beer which I suffered badly for the next day, at that time I was on day 51 (day 58 today) and somehow the AV bested me. I have not drank since and am not restarting the count. I had previously ordered Antabuse (disulfiram) a few months back but did not get it until a few weeks after I quit so never used any. Actually its not really legal/prescribed in Canada so I took a gamble VIA an online no prescription site and the first shipment from India did not make it but they resent free of charge from Russia and that made it, although it took awhile.
Anyways since I had the pills I decided to take them for a couple of days just for some added insurance that I would not let the one slip turn into something much worse. I actually also wanted the pills for this very reason and of course it works as you cant drink for a good few days after taking the pill or you will get very sick even from a single beer. I know the Antabuse pills have gotten a bad rap over the years as they can cause serious damage or even kill but if used properly and you really want to quit then I believe they are OK just depends on the person I suppose.

Brian
Old 03-14-2016, 11:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by QuitForSon View Post
I have not drank since and am not restarting the count.
Why not?
Old 03-14-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have you spoke to a Dr about this buying pills even Antabuse is risky business
Old 03-14-2016, 12:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are not going to restart your count after drinking? In sobriety we need to stay honest with ourselves. Good luck
Old 03-14-2016, 02:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Way to not let that AV take a day away from you! Keep it going.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back

I have to be honest tho - I really can't recommend buying meds without a doctors say so.

Not all meds are suitable for everyone - particularly if you have existing health issues or you're on other meds.

it's always a good general rule to see a Dr first.

D
Old 03-14-2016, 07:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

Your starting another shot at sobriety by being dishonest about your sobriety date and your looking to take a potentially dangerous and illegal, for you, drug to help you stop? Thank you for sharing that. It reminds me of the insanity of alcoholism.

I really think attending an AA meeting and finding some people in person to discuss your plan with would do you a lot of good. I'm certain they would have a better plan to help you get and stay sober.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Glad you didn't let a day of drinking totally derail your sobriety plan.

Your self-prescription of anatabuse makes me nervous, though. You didn't need it for 7 weeks. You don't need it now. Why risk a health issue?

Why do you think you drank after 7 weeks? That's the bigger issue. "The AV got the best of you" is the effect. What was the cause? You need that answer more than you need antabuse.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What made you drink? Usually for me it starts before I pick up. Do you need to tweak your plan?

I'm glad you have put it behind you and remember that you can do it!
Old 03-16-2016, 09:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Antabuse can have some serious side effects and is not suited for everyone. I also would not trust medications bought over the internet without a prescription and sent from Russia or India.
As far as the counting goes, there are two school of thoughts there:
Some people don't count and others do.
I think you should pick which it will be but if you are counting, you should be honest about it.
You don't have 60 days today, if you did not pick up since your slip you have 9 days today.
This is not a competition, fooling others might not be good but trying to fool yourself is worst: it is setting yourself up for failure.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I understand, it's 58 and 1, get to 365 and 1, best of luck!!