Notices

Should I choose AA or Al-anon?

Old 03-13-2016, 05:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Should I choose AA or Al-anon?

I've never been to either and continue to be confused. I've heard people say "al-anon" is for friends/family/children of alcoholics or codependents and AA is for alcoholics.

To be honest, I am both. Codependent (from childhood, not in a codependent relationship right now) and alcoholic.

I believe my codependency led to alcoholism. I still am dealing with both but have been sober for months.

Which do you recommend I attend? Advice is much appreciated because I'm very new to anything AA related.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Why can't you go to both? I'm sure you'd be welcomed at both places.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Recommend AA....then later on maybe venture into Al-Anon? My advice is to fix your alcoholism first....then look at your relationship with other alcoholics.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

why not try both and then either continue both or pick the one you feel is more helpful for you?

D
Old 03-13-2016, 07:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bunny211 View Post
Recommend AA....then later on maybe venture into Al-Anon? My advice is to fix your alcoholism first....then look at your relationship with other alcoholics.
This would also be my suggestion. Al-anon helps friends and family deal with the alcoholic in their midst whereas AA is for the alcoholic. I do know people who eventually attended both. This is a situation where taking care of yourself should come first.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the advice!
Old 03-13-2016, 07:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Agree with those who suggested AA to start. I have the same issues and AA has been very helpful, especially the step work.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

I'd try both
Old 03-14-2016, 11:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Lots of people go to more than one 12-step group. Why not start by finding out times and locations of meetings in your area, and making a list of the ones that fit into your routine. You may find that this naturally sorts the dilemma for you. (Where I live it's hard for me to make it to either of the weekly CoDa meetings in the next city, and al-anon meetings seem to be far less frequent than AA ones (unless I'm missing something in the AlAnon listings).

Try as many as you can and find some that you like. Good luck
Old 03-14-2016, 12:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
AA member

I also qualify for AA and Al-anon.

I have only been to AA,but I know many people who attend both fellowships.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I found both to be very beneficial having my own issues with alcohol and growing up in a family where my dad was an alcoholic, I also went to Alateen when I was much younger also.

The Al-Anon/Alateen were great for showing me that I wasn't alone in feeling soo frustrated and lost in dealing with a family member who drank, I really started to begin to understand myself, the feelings, the emotions, start to make sense of it all and deal with so many things.

It then complimented my own battle with alcohol when that time came, and that's were AA can come in and add to that journey.

In hindsight seeing things from both sides with other people was a very healthy thing!!