Notices

No doubt Weekender March 11 part 2

Old 03-13-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Out and about Miss Ruby! I will check in when I get home.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Looking forward to hearing your results ken! Fascinating!
The fortune cookie is super cool too!
Old 03-13-2016, 09:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Just had a walk about on the land. Scared a bunch of wild turkeys. They are all over around here. My mom and her husband broadcast corn for turkeys and sqirrels and whatever else, so they come right up to the house. I accidentally found the boggy areas of the cow pasture, too. Got my feet good and wet.

I'm trying hard to picture what it might be like when I inherit all this. Seems insurmountable to take care of it without help.

Last edited by MLD51; 03-13-2016 at 09:51 AM. Reason: edited for weird autocorrect
Old 03-13-2016, 09:52 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

G'morning, guys. Woke up with some depressive Beck songs playing in my head this morning.

Oldest cat, Rhiannon, is dying. Might not live through the night. It's been a long time coming. We've watched her waste away over the past year. Rhiannon has been with me since 1997. She was quite an ornery cat, according to my mom (Mom called her a bitch) and a few others. Only Tom truly loved her. My grandmother loved her for a short while. She has always wanted to be a one-person cat. She was obsessed with me, and she was territorial. I had to try hard to love her over the past several years. It wasn't easy.

My husband has responded to the new bathroom arrangements by refusing to cook or bring home food that I want. So be it. I told him he can go get f***ed this morning. He let the dog chicken set out all night and ruin. No effort in the kitchen. That's fine.

I'm fairly miserable today. I'll probably snap out of it at some point.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:59 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Marty ~

Consider the beauty of Barter. I've helped arrange some Handshake Agreements. Don't take these examples literally, or bog down in them. Just Food for thought/stimulus...

Straight away Land use for Crops [or Bees, as I have going on now] is an option. Get Handyman/Caretaker Tasks in return.

Animal Grazing? Any scruffy Trees to cut down for Firewood in a Win - Win Scenario? Park a few RVs or Boats out back for modest Monthly Income? Use that Spare Change to outright hire some Help? Any dry Outbuildings to store an old Car, or other items in? Seasonal Pheasant/Turkey/Goose Hunting Rights? Buckshot doesn't travel far, so you'd be safe enough. Allowing a 'contained' Hunter's Camp/Tent/RV grouping around a small Campfire site w/exclusive Hunting Rights might be huge, and command decent Moolah. It all depends on Supply & Demand in that area.

Sounds like you've got 'things' that Folks would want. Match that with what you need. Bottom Line: don't get burdened by taking it on alone. You don't have to...
Old 03-13-2016, 10:05 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Just had a walk about on the land. Scared a bunch of wild turkeys. They are all over around here. My mom and her husband broadcast corn for turkeys and sqirrels and whatever else, so they come right up to the house. I accidentally found the boggy areas of the cow pasture, too. Got my feet good and wet.

I'm trying hard to picture what it might be like when I inherit all this. Seems insurmountable to take care of it without help.
I just came in from my horse pasture--it was time to pull blanket for Spring
on my old Appaloosa mare Natchez. . . I took some carrots to say hi.
It all is boggy at the moment as it rained all night.
First thing you need is a good pair of rubber boots and a mudroom or porch.

You'll find it isn't impossible--I get by without a tractor even by having
my neighbor come mow a few times a year.
Making friends with neighbors is especially important if you aren't "country"
by birth
I've got about 25 turkeys hanging about at the moment as well.

Wouldn't trade living out here for pretty much anything. . . bet you'll feel the same
Old 03-13-2016, 10:10 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hawkeye you have horses? Lucky you! That's my dream one day to sell my place in the city and buy something on the water where I can maybe have a few horses. The horses are negotiable but living on the water is not. Once my boys fly the nest that's the plan.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:26 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks, Mesa and Hawkeye. I do feel that there are solutions to everything. I'm not country by birth, but I do love it out here. The house and land are on the edge of a small town, so there are neighbors. The pasture is already rented out seasonally for cow grazing. Some guys do come and hunt turkey, for free. There are woods, so wood is abundant. I suppose a person could set up a trade whereby someone comes and cuts wood, keeping some and giving me the rest for the wood stoves, which carry a heavy load in the heating of the place. Another option would be to just sell all of it and set myself up financially. We will see what the future brings. I'd like to think I can just live here, but it might just be too much. A cabin in the woods bought with money from the sale might be more practical. Lots and lots of time to consider options anyway. No one is going anywhere for a good long time, I sure hope.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:29 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

And yes - 2 big dry outbuildings here.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:17 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Glad you are feeling better Zenchaser and Jsbodhi

Had lunch with a couple of my Crazy Golf friends at a place called the Proud Archivist - it has galleries and a small theater. A little known fact is that William Shakespeare used to live nearby. It is where I plod along on my morning runs (I join the canal at Whitmore Road). In contrast to some of you there is not much greenery, just miles and miles of urban development.

Here is a Google Earth screen shot of my manor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20160313_175925.jpg (60.0 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by saoutchik; 03-13-2016 at 11:18 AM. Reason: auto carrot
Old 03-13-2016, 11:44 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

That was a stupor-kewl Pic you put up the other day of Fog rising along that stepped Path. Just before the Rain moved in...

Is that your Man Thong drying out on the Clothesline in the Google Earth Satellite Pic?
Old 03-13-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Soberpotamus - i am sorry about Rhiannon but by my calculations she is 18/19 which is a good age, she must have been looked after well
Old 03-13-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Walking the back 40 MLD? Nice to do. My grandfather is out in the country and gets by. You can too. Neighbors are important.

We walked over to the parade. A lot of people and a whole lotta rain. We pooped out before the end as kids were sodden.

Time to put on the corned beef.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:51 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
That was a stupor-kewl Pic you put up the other day of Fog rising along that stepped Path. Just before the Rain moved in...

Is that your Man Thong drying out on the Clothesline in the Google Earth Satellite Pic?
Lol! The quality of Google Earth is amazing, it is a shame we are limited in the number of pixels we can post
Old 03-13-2016, 12:07 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

A couple of Techno Gal Pals jumped Ship from where we all worked, and popped up to Digital Globe ; the Company that supplies much of Google Earth Imagery. Man, some serious Tech goes on there.

They needed a larger 'Campus', so Digital bought the old Storage Tech [RAID Data Storage] Campus near us. The Mind-boggling thing about Digital Globe is that they synthesize all kinda Imagery: Airplane Flyovers; low Earth Orbit Satellites; 'Spy' Plane Data; and so on. To merge all this, and make it appear seamless when we click on an Image, is no small Techno feat.

All this Techno activity, and Google Earth constructing a new Building in Boulder CO, is one reason we sold our City House for $40k over Asking last Summer. TY Google!

I use Google Earth daily for some kinda Geek fun. Even if to suss out Trailer Camping Sites...
Old 03-13-2016, 12:54 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Do your best

Evening everyone we have both caught a cold nothing a good roast chicken dinner didn't sort out
Old 03-13-2016, 01:02 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Godson is out like a light! Auntie brynn has to rest up for round two

The weather is perfect here today...almost hot in the sun. Kinda nice to put on shorts again! Our winter was so mild I have a coat in the closet with tags still on and two pair of boots still in the box. Guess they'll have to wait for next winter.

Everyone seems to be having a nice Sunday! I hope the ice cream truck comes round this afternoon!
Old 03-13-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
...holds the key

So sorry about your kitty, potamus
Old 03-13-2016, 01:05 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I stopped into Taco Hell (bell) for lunch today. I have little reasons to be defensive. Coming from New York I have always had a sense about me. I saw on arrival the homeless guy picking up his food bag to go (of course). I ordered and half sat against a stool bolted to the ground. I watched him out of the corner of my eye. He was fussing with his big full duffle bag. His complete worldly belongings.

I looked away and when I saw him pass in front of me I saw the two wooden handle sticks in his griped hand. I realized this person was not ok at that moment and angry I was not aware enough to see it coming. I could not react. I simply was aware and when he move enough away I stood and took a "don't eff with me" stance.

I watched intently from that moment on as he also stared down children and adults alike. He was in a sore place. Not violent but could have been should anyone met his eyes.

Luckily I also noticed (way before this dude) a hot muscular daddy getting Kentucky Fried Chicken for his sadly overweight child. I forgave him his misdeed and was glad to know I had back up.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:08 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Ready to take the corned beef and fixings out of the slow cooker. Ruby, hope yours is as good as this!!

K