SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I hate myself today (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/386719-i-hate-myself-today.html)

alcoholfighter 03-13-2016 01:40 AM

I hate myself today

I made it 32 days and then I blew it all yesterday. I feel like the worst person in the world right now. I feel soooo sick, like I have terrible withdrawal symptoms all over again. I'm really shaky, nervous, and have a killer headache. This sucks. Why did I do that?!?!?! I hate me

:skillet:c021::a043:

MikeM 03-13-2016 01:55 AM

I don't hate you. None of us do. You know now that you can make it to 32 days. You ask yourself why you did it. That is an excellent question to examine.

MidnightBlue 03-13-2016 01:56 AM

Hi, Alcoholfighter.

Sorry you've slipped, but good for you to come here and post.

Why? If only there was one and for all universal answer to this.

But there is absolutely no use in hating yourself - it won't add anything, it will only take away more.

You've made it to 32 days. Good.
When hangover fog clears out analyze what went wrong.
Did your overcome triggers? Did you think you can now have a drink or too? What else?

It's part of human nature to learn from our own mistakes, and the essential part here is to learn.

Move forward. Yesterday belongs to the past.

Today belongs to your new sober life. Make the best of it.

Best wishes to you.

coming_clean 03-13-2016 03:00 AM

You cannot change the past alcoholfighter, nor the future.
This makes both regret and anticipation kinda useless..

Just be sober today!

alcoholfighter 03-13-2016 03:03 AM

Thanks for the help. To anyone else reading this and contemplating drinking today, DON'T DO IT!!!! Feeling this bad isn't worth it.

alcoholfighter 03-13-2016 03:08 AM

Sorry for being annoying but I just remembered that I totally skipped celebrate recovery this week. Just blew it off and thought, 'I don't need that, I'm doing fine'. But clearly I'm not fine. Ugh. Maybe that had something to do with me not being able to stay sober this weekend.

MikeM 03-13-2016 03:12 AM

You're not being annoying. :)

Beating yourself up over this will not get you moving forward. Drop the self-loathing and move on, alcoholfighter. You can do it!

We're all here to help.

Once your thinking has cleared up, I think it'd be useful to examine where it went wrong and make a plan for that.

Dee74 03-13-2016 03:13 AM

Beating yourself up is probably the worst thing you can do, alcoholfighter.
Use that energy to make a better plan for next time :)

D

Mrskw 03-13-2016 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by alcoholfighter (Post 5847780)
Thanks for the help. To anyone else reading this and contemplating drinking today, DON'T DO IT!!!! Feeling this bad isn't worth it.

Very good advice, alcoholfighter. Hope you feel better soon, and please dont give yourself a hard time.