Notices

Who Felt Better SOON After Quitting?

Old 03-13-2016, 07:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

it's been quite a process so far (11.5 months) with lots of changes.
BUT the early wins were - clear eyes, night sweats cleared up in a few weeks (big relief), I looked younger within a few months, my gym work outs and fitness classes really improved, as in I noticed my stamina and strength really improve in just a month or so, sleep improved in a couple of weeks.
Good health everybody!
xx
Old 03-13-2016, 07:54 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I guess it all depends on how you define "soon". Like Dee, my experience is "other", although a month or two might be considered "soon" after 35 years of drinking.

Happiness at not doing further harm to myself for one more day trumps discomfort.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I felt better right away. Within a week my energy levels were up and I was more productive. My sleep improved, when I go down I sleep deep and restful. Mentally the feelings of doom left and I am generally more positive and out going. Physically I look better, skin is clearer, eyes are white, lost the bloated look. Lots of good things.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberinSyracuse View Post
Most of them will have minimal symptoms if any, and they will be short lived!

Look, PAWS is real and some people suffer from it. And it's discussed extensively throughout this forum. But...

In this thread, let's hear from those who felt better quickly after quitting!

Weigh in and tell us how you felt BETTER once you stopped drinking. Better mood, better sleep, in better shape, better concentration, etc?

I'll start...
Do you think you did not experience PAWS because of your detox process? I am currently on an amino acid regime for PAWS and really hope they help relieve symptoms. I am one of those people who has really struggled with PAWS and has really looked to other who have struggled to hear their story and the truth of how long this can last. The information actually HELPED me because I have been encouraged that this will end one day as long as I stay sober. With PAWS symptoms it is very difficult to stay positive, the anxiety and depression can be overwhelming at times. So I think it's good to hear the truth which can be dismal and to hear positive experience of recovery.
P.S. Your posts have given me lots of information on things I can do to ease and perhaps alleviate my symptoms. Wish I had known about amino acid therapy for my detox. Thanks!
Old 04-01-2016, 08:45 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Stillpooh,

The thing I think we all need to remember is recovery is different for each of us. Is what you are doing helping to lessen your PAWS symptoms?

I agree about learning from all of the posts. The success stories motivate me, and sometimes I will read about someone who slipped up, and sometimes it is after a considerable amount of sober time, and I remember that has been me, and it reminds me how much I want sobriety.

Keep reading and posting, and I am sure others will be around with lots of good advice!
Old 04-01-2016, 08:57 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Like others said, the immediate benefit was the cessation of "impending doom feelings" and the stirrings of some hope. Tat happened at the end of day one as I crawled into bed.
Physically I felt better increasingly over a two to three week period.
Emotionally and wholistically improving is taking much longer. I had many of the same issues before drinking and am now working through them. This work, while gradually reaping benefits, will likely be o going for years to come. Just glad I'm still here to have these challenges!
It seems that many in this site are guarded about potentially "pollyanish" stories if immediate triumph and I feel I came out of the gates here in that mindset..... A staggering relapse and the realities of sobriety this time have seasoned my expectations but.... I remain an optimist and enjoy success stories in links like these. I gain strength from this site from the variety of posts that land here. Many of us can relate to parts or moments from all of them.
Good day folks!
Jonathan
Old 04-01-2016, 08:58 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I felt better in 3 days. Im only just over 3 weeks into absteince and I feel great. Full of energy (most of the time) and Im getting less forgetful less dull witted (although I still have my moments) then again, I did before I drank haha
I play fight the grandsons and sing now too...although apparently Im tone deaf.
Oh yes as well, my skin and hair are not dry looking and my eyes are not puffy and bloodshot
Old 04-01-2016, 01:39 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Within a week:

I could sleep again.
I could eat again.
I cold function - stand upright alll day long (wooo weee that was amazing).
I could shower (also standing up).
No more vomiting.
No more diarrhea.
No more heart burn.
No more headaches.
No more "what did I do last night?!" feelings.

Great thread!
Old 04-01-2016, 01:44 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by waterlogged View Post
It was about three days for me
I was admitted to a detox program for a week. When i was leaving i saw the doctor the same one i saw when i went in. She didnt recognise me
They take a pic of you when you arrive she showed it to me Omg i didnt recognise myself. I now have the pic on the fridge to remind me.
OMG the SAME thing happened to me. The nurse who admitted me to detox took a few days off and on my last day there I went down to have my vitals taken and she started to cry when she saw me. I looked so different. I was SO out of it that I do not even REMEMBER my first night at detox. I was on so much librium and so whacked out of my mind I don't remember being admitted. I have the before and after pics of me from detox and now...I don't even look like the same person.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:55 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Define better...
By that I mean that it's kind of on an ever evolving continuum in my experience. In certain ways both physically and mentally I felt great in a day or two - but then other secondary things come through. And on and on.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:00 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I'm on day 20 and feeling really really good.

My sleep has been amazing.

My skin and hair are definitely healthier.

My eyes are clear instead of constantly bloodshot.

I had some minor tremors for a few days but they're gone now as long as I remember to eat.

Not to get into too much information territory, but going to the bathroom is a much more regular and pleasant experience as well.

I don't have a sex life currently so can't report on that but I bet it'd be better too.

No more headaches every morning.

No more constant vague heartburn like I had when I was drinking.

No more always feeling like I was on the edge of a windy cliff, one good burst of wind away from losing it all.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:07 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Yes, those pics are savage aren't they? I'm of two minds as to whether that should take place. I know mine wouldn't be on the fridge. lol

Had just about immediate physical and cosmetic improvement but the head stuff is not so pretty and am often still tired and unmotivated. Have good windows sometimes.

I don't care if I have got PAWS so long as I'm sober. It can be interesting in a depressing sort of way. That's positive.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Sobriety cant be rushed is my own personal experience x However in answer to your question, I felt physically better by around day 6 of detox, my skin became clearer after a month. Psychologically however, well thats taking a lot longer.

Nothing against a positive thread, but it is important to recognise the ups and downs of getting well, coming off a pink cloud can hit you hard if your not expecting it. Pays to be aware of what to expect to avoid relapse x x x
Old 04-01-2016, 04:33 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I feel pretty fortunate that I felt better very quickly. But recently I think I've hit another gear and feel better than I have in quite a few years. Combination of daily strenuous exercise, no alcohol, and quality food intake have contributed. Come to think about it, for at least 3-4 years I was a polluted mess most of the time.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:37 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

My anxiety was pretty much gone after 3 weeks or so. Big benefit of quitting for me!

Delfin
Old 04-02-2016, 05:33 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I felt physically better after 4 days.....then gradually things got really good. At 4 months Sober I feel my physical positives have plateaud but mentally I am getting stronger and sharper !
Old 04-02-2016, 06:28 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberinSyracuse View Post

In this thread, let's hear from those who felt better quickly after quitting!

Weigh in and tell us how you felt BETTER once you stopped drinking. Better mood, better sleep, in better shape, better concentration, etc?

I'll start...
So, a great idea. I’m really new here and I don’t have a lot of time to spend on threads, but from my early experience, as should be expected, there is a lot of “downer” stuff here to be read.

There is nothing wrong with some threads for “UP” and positive thoughts to balance that sad sack feeling one can find in forums like this. Everyone in here should be in some part positive that they have joined and care enough to have done so. If you (one) joined here, you care about yourself in at least some small way. You may be a “sad sack” but you are working on it! (figuratively speaking in a generalization about all of us, using the word “you”)

This was my favorite comment so far that sticks with me:
Originally Posted by blueberry2015 View Post
I felt physically better by around day 6 of detox, my skin became clearer after a month. Psychologically however, well that’s taking a lot longer.
Psychologically…that’s a really big one with me. Like Blueberry, I struggle with this.
I AM NOT happy with this sobriety stuff AT ALL. I love drinking and I want to drink all I want, everything I want…for as long as I want. The problem is the human body is not designed for filtering huge amounts of poison, and that’s what alcohol is in large amounts. We might as well be drinking Windex, the only difference is Windex doesn’t give you that crap eating grin at midnight! But it will make you feel like crap in the morning…

So…POSITIVE!
I will leave the negative right there on the table and do as you ask S.I.S….
1-Sleep better
2-Not dehydrated or hung-over
3-Losing weight and getting in better shape
4-Bloating is disappearing…I was swelling up like a pig or a balloon ready to pop.
5-Less cramping (see dehydration above). I would get cramps easily before.
6-I can eat a heck of a lot more and enjoy it. Before, I could only eat smaller portions. One would think that would be good because that’s the way to eat, but I could not really tear in to that weekend splurge meal or finish a big dinner when going out to eat or celebrate when I was toxic. Now I can eat like a pig! Even though I’m not drunk! (I think this is a problem for older people who have been drinking for decades. I never had that problem in my 20’s or 30’s)
7-On the positive side (there are negatives, but we are focusing on positive here), mentally I hate myself less. I am only self-loathing now because I drank myself in to this situation where I can’t drink. I am mad at myself…because I want to drink, but I screwed that up by being an idiot…
…sorry…POSITIVE!...Seriously, I know I’m doing what is right, and that helps me feel better.

You know what bothers me the most? My parents and my wife telling me they are “proud of me”.

That’s like (racism) complimenting a black person because “they speak so well” or never got in trouble with the law…it’s an admission that you expected less of that person.

Why would we want praise for doing the right thing? IT’S THE RIGHT THING! WE SHOULD ALL BE DOING THE RIGHT THING…ALL THE TIME!...Am I right or am I right?

My POSITIVE is that I am no longer doing THE WRONG THING! There should be no praise for not doing the wrong thing…it was the wrong thing to begin with!

Positive!

I’m 75 days sober, working toward 90. Looking for an improved blood test at 90 days. If the liver is still high…I’m looking at longer intentional “total” sobriety. Maybe for life, if the body doesn’t come back.

A good report and I get another lease on life. The naysayers here will tell me I will fail at moderation if given the chance. I want them all to keep saying that. It gives me strength to prove them all wrong.

So keep on telling me “I can’t do it”.

My drive to defeat that “negativity” makes me “positive” because I look forward to an opportunity to succeed. I can’t do that if I listen to those that tell me I will fail. I am a different kind of sad sack than them…hopefully….

Without “positivity” I will never know.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:17 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

No, DichotoMe.

You have framed a "me vs. everyone else" setup in which the "negativity" of others is something you seek to disprove by cobbling together a plan that allows you to drink. I recall your previous post, one that described near-fatal pancreatitis and sky-high liver enzymes. If you get a good report from your physician -- and I suspect that you'll interpret pretty much any results as "good" -- and you can return to drinking. And that, despite compelling evidence to the contrary, both in your own narrative and the known progression of alcoholism, you can do so successfully.

I'm not going to waste my time or yours trying to convince you that something is really off with your approach.

What I will say is that this is a site devoted to helping people find new lives in total sobriety and recovery. To come here and trumpet the "positives" -- call it moderation, call it a new lease on life -- suggests your mind is made up. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I started feeling better after just a few days. Even better after a few weeks. Even better after a few months. Even better after a few years. Gee, do I sense a pattern here?
Old 04-02-2016, 07:46 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DichotoMe View Post
So, a great idea. I’m really new here and I don’t have a lot of time to spend on threads, but from my early experience, as should be expected, there is a lot of “downer” stuff here to be read. There is nothing wrong with some threads for “UP” and positive thoughts to balance that sad sack feeling one can find in forums like this. Everyone in here should be in some part positive that they have joined and care enough to have done so. If you (one) joined here, you care about yourself in at least some small way. You may be a “sad sack” but you are working on it! (figuratively speaking in a generalization about all of us, using the word “you&rdquo This was my favorite comment so far that sticks with me: Psychologically…that’s a really big one with me. Like Blueberry, I struggle with this. I AM NOT happy with this sobriety stuff AT ALL. I love drinking and I want to drink all I want, everything I want…for as long as I want. The problem is the human body is not designed for filtering huge amounts of poison, and that’s what alcohol is in large amounts. We might as well be drinking Windex, the only difference is Windex doesn’t give you that crap eating grin at midnight! But it will make you feel like crap in the morning… So…POSITIVE! I will leave the negative right there on the table and do as you ask S.I.S…. 1-Sleep better 2-Not dehydrated or hung-over 3-Losing weight and getting in better shape 4-Bloating is disappearing…I was swelling up like a pig or a balloon ready to pop. 5-Less cramping (see dehydration above). I would get cramps easily before. 6-I can eat a heck of a lot more and enjoy it. Before, I could only eat smaller portions. One would think that would be good because that’s the way to eat, but I could not really tear in to that weekend splurge meal or finish a big dinner when going out to eat or celebrate when I was toxic. Now I can eat like a pig! Even though I’m not drunk! (I think this is a problem for older people who have been drinking for decades. I never had that problem in my 20’s or 30’s) 7-On the positive side (there are negatives, but we are focusing on positive here), mentally I hate myself less. I am only self-loathing now because I drank myself in to this situation where I can’t drink. I am mad at myself…because I want to drink, but I screwed that up by being an idiot… …sorry…POSITIVE!...Seriously, I know I’m doing what is right, and that helps me feel better. You know what bothers me the most? My parents and my wife telling me they are “proud of me”. That’s like (racism) complimenting a black person because “they speak so well” or never got in trouble with the law…it’s an admission that you expected less of that person. Why would we want praise for doing the right thing? IT’S THE RIGHT THING! WE SHOULD ALL BE DOING THE RIGHT THING…ALL THE TIME!...Am I right or am I right? My POSITIVE is that I am no longer doing THE WRONG THING! There should be no praise for not doing the wrong thing…it was the wrong thing to begin with! Positive! I’m 75 days sober, working toward 90. Looking for an improved blood test at 90 days. If the liver is still high…I’m looking at longer intentional “total” sobriety. Maybe for life, if the body doesn’t come back. A good report and I get another lease on life. The naysayers here will tell me I will fail at moderation if given the chance. I want them all to keep saying that. It gives me strength to prove them all wrong. So keep on telling me “I can’t do it”. My drive to defeat that “negativity” makes me “positive” because I look forward to an opportunity to succeed. I can’t do that if I listen to those that tell me I will fail. I am a different kind of sad sack than them…hopefully…. Without “positivity” I will never know.
my two cents. I haven't read your other posts specifically. I did comment on this specifically with regard to feeling better. Now that I've read your response I understand more where you are coming from. I personally attempted moderation in the past. For me it does not work and hats what I finally realized. One drink turns into two which turns into a six pack or bottle of wine or more every single day. Truth is I enjoy drinking, but not the ill effects that my lack of ability to moderate brought to my life. For me it isn't about anyone being proud of me ... Why this is working for me is because I finally hit a point where not drinking brings a sense of pride in myself, and I don't want to let me down. If someone else tells me they are proud, I view that as them acknowledging how hard I am working at this, not that hey expected less or for me to fail.

Just my thoughts... And I wish you the best on your journey.