Notices

I am afraid about my future.

Old 03-13-2016, 05:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi soberaccountant. I received my DUI after I had obtained my Bachelors in Accounting. I was working towards my CPA license. When I applied for the license I had to admit to any and all arrests/convictions. They did NOT hold the DUI against me. I passed the CPA exams and have had great jobs since. A DUI generally will not affect a business career.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:01 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome
Old 03-13-2016, 06:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Keep your head up, stay sober, and you'll be fine. Keep up the hard work and you'll find a good job fit, dui or no dui. My whole dads side of the family is from Oxnard, I lived there for a couple years too. Good luck buddy, stick around!
Old 03-13-2016, 06:16 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

You'll be okay. You should qualify for a deferred adjudication or similar program. If you want, pm me and I'll give more detailed info.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:14 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Soberaccountant!!
Old 03-13-2016, 03:04 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Welcome! Your life is not ruined! Maybe this is the wake up call needed to start a beautiful life!

I agree with others...get a good attorney & try to get it reduced.

Also most people (even non-alcoholics) these days have at least 1 DUI. If that kept people from getting a job no one would be working! Ha.

They don't ask about misdemeanors on job applications only felonies. Your DUI would be a misdemeanor.

Lastly, the only job that you probably won't be able to have now (if convicted) is a "driving" job like a bus driver, truck driver etc. because of high insurance rates.

Also...an attorney may cost you some money up front but if he/she can get your DUI reduced or erased (attorneys have tricks up their sleeves), you will make up the expense by not having to pay all the DUI fees and increased auto insurance which would go up considerably.

Anyway, you'll be ok! I have friends who were hired as accountants, doctors, nurses, teachers, lawyers etc. who have 1 DUI.

Heck, President George W. Bush had a DUI & is a sober alcoholic which was a well known fact before he was elected the president of the United States.

The founder & head of MADD (mothers against drunk driving) got a DUI a few years ago.

I'm not saying it's ok to get a DUI but it will not ruin your life. In fact this may be a wonderful turning point for you!

Hang in there!!!
Old 03-13-2016, 09:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thank you for your kind words. I am 30 days sober today, and will not take up drinking again after this whole ordeal. If this is what alcohol does to me as a person then I simply will not take the first drink. I just sincerely hope you're right that i'll be able to find something again soon. The thought of being unemployed once again just brings me down.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:39 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thank you for your reply Hevyn. I face a 30 day suspension before being able to get a restricted license for 5 months in California. I won't have to get an ignition interlock device or any of that. I will have fines and alcohol school for three months which I can live with. Its just having to find another job now that worries me with all of this happening at the same time.

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
It's good to meet you, Soberaccountant. Please try not to be so down on yourself. You are not stupid - none of us sets out to sabotage ourselves. I'm so glad you didn't give up on yourself & that you want to reclaim your life.

I got 2 DUI's. They were in the state of Delaware. For the first one, I was allowed to take the 'First Offense Election'. License was revoked for a year & I had to attend a course, plus pay a fine. I understand they now allow a first offender to drive after one month with an Ignition Interlock Device. Not sure how CA laws differ. (I had a job when I got my DUI & by law they couldn't fire me as long as I was seeking treatment.)

I'm really sorry you're going through this - but glad you found us and wanted to talk things over. Please keep posting and reading - we care about you.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:46 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi chrcarlson, thank you for your kind words and support. I am glad that after so many DUIs that you were able to get and stay sober. I am blessed to be working with an owner of a sober living home that is helping me get through the whole court situation. I was considering and consulting with lawyers, but once I mentioned to them who I am working with in my area they said that I should be fine working with him going forward. They wouldn't do much different from what he is doing for me. I am blessed to have this man in my life as my step-father works under him managing a sober living facility. When I came to them and told them what had happened to me they immediately took on my case and are taking me through the process. He has worked with the judge we will be meeting and has assured me the minimum damage will happen from all of this. As much as I would like a lawyer I simply cannot afford one--but from everything I have heard from other people he has helped he is just as good if not better.

Unfortunately in my county they do not plea down DUIs nor offer any sort of deal that would keep it off my record. My county is one of the strictest counties in my state when it comes to DUI enforcement, and the DA here has taken an approach of offering no plea deals. Regardless I have to plea guilty and move on.

The sober living owner has been having me get a card filled out every time I go to an AA meeting. I have been going every day since this all went down. He told me that this will be included with the letter he will be providing the judge as well as the letter from my sponsor.

Originally Posted by chrcarlson View Post
Hey Sober, it took me 5 DUI's to sober up. All is not lost. I wouldn't be too quick to throw myself on the"mercy" of the court. They are not really in that business and are not really set up to deal with addiction problems. You have a legal problem and an alcohol problem. Let a lawyer help you with the first. You maybe able to get a deffered adjudication or other ruling that will keep this off your record.

If you deal with the court without a lawyer or even with,then get a sign in sheet now and have it signed when you go to AA. Get a sponsor that is willing to speak with the judge on your behalf. You will be showing you are dealing with the problem. If is a 1st offence and judge might have mercy.

There is lot of help at AA and here. Use the fear and desperation is set up a good plan for your sobriety.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:49 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi Misssy2,

I can get it expunged in California after I serve one year of informal probation. My county unfortunately has no such thing as deferred sentencing or plea down's of DUIs. The gentlemen I am working with, a family friend and sober living owner with years of experience in dealing with the court is helping me get through all of this process.

I look forward to the a future where I can look back at this and be okay with this. Right now I have to admit its just overwhelming, and the fear has been crippling.

Originally Posted by Misssy2 View Post
If this is your first DUI...and your last...you can get it explunged after a certain period of time (search your state explungement rules). Also, if it is your first time..maybe the public defendant or attorney can ask the court to give you a deferred sentence which they have here in RI for drugs. It is a program where IF you stay out of trouble for 1 year...you will not be charged with the crime.

So, it would show for 1 year...but then you could get it explunged if you got in no further trouble. My son was put on a program like that and a DAY before it was to be over...he got arrested for something .....But, had he not...he would have a clean record.

Also, having a degree shows the court and any potential employee..you are a hard worker with goals....and this is a setback. Always be honest on your employment opportunities....a stupid mistake in your life...that you deeply regret.

Be grateful...you didn't get caught stealing or fraud....right? In your field a DUI is not going to affect your job directly. This is a bad time in your life...however, you are SO young and don't let this set back.....take away your feelings of success and all the hard work you have achieved...and just keep ACHIEVING and put this in your past! This too shall pass.

2 years from now this will be an old bad memory. You will struggle for a little bit....but I promise it will not last forever.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:52 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thank you KissMyTiara,

I am working on my Master's now to meet the 150 semester units in order to take the exam and obtain my CPA. I am encouraged that this is not going to cause me any issues when it comes time to petition for my CPA with Board of Accountancy.

I guess my short-term fear is finding a new job now with this monkey on my back.

Originally Posted by KissMyTiara View Post
Hi soberaccountant. I received my DUI after I had obtained my Bachelors in Accounting. I was working towards my CPA license. When I applied for the license I had to admit to any and all arrests/convictions. They did NOT hold the DUI against me. I passed the CPA exams and have had great jobs since. A DUI generally will not affect a business career.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:30 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

soberaccountant, I have been arrested for 5 DUI's. I have been convicted of a DUI 2'nd. A 5'th DUI in Texas can and will usually get you 20 years in prison. Check the court record for your DUI court,. Is there anything that sounds like an Obstructing Traffic conviction? It's code for DUI in Denton County Texas Criminal Court #3. The court has a MADD rating of 100%. Court 3 is the strictest of 4, Denton is one of the worst Counties in Texas to get a DUI and well...it's Texas. I met a young school teacher they pleaded down-I was told they never do that. It's always worth investigating your options.

I guess I'm repeating myself. I just hate to see people in trouble especially a first offense.

Anyway, you never have to get another one.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:56 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Do your best

Massive congrats on 30 days this is the best Monday ever
Old 03-14-2016, 01:55 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

As much as I would like to I do not have the certifications to do so yet. I have my bachelor's, I am working towards my masters to be able to sit and obtain my CPA but that process will take another couple of years.

I need to find work now, I cant sit by and watch my finances destroyed and lose everything that I worked so hard to achieve. It's days like these where it already feels like it's over for me. I don't feel like anyone really understands anymore. This pain is just overwhelming and I can't seem to deal with it anymore. I want to die but I know I can't. I want this to be over and have a better life but when will that ever come? I've been dealing with all of this heart ache and misery for years now and it didn't get better. I don't know what to do and I don't know how I am supposed to feel. In pray to God for direction and hope for my future to no avail. I hope I can look back at this someday but right now it's just so overwhelming and I don't know how to hey to the next step. If I lost everything I will lose it. I don't know what I will do to my self. These are just facts.

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post
I learnt a great new word (on here) this weekend. 'Awfullising'. We do a lot of that, us alcoholics. We can pretty much spoil even the best moment by thinking how it'll end in disaster. So when we are faced with something that actually IS big and scary we can really run with it.

Like someone said - you have a legal problem and an alcohol problem right now. Get legal help with the first, and a sponsor to help with the second. I'm aware (vaguely) that there are different kinds of accountant, so forgive me if the next sentence seems a foolish suggestion, but would you be able to do freelance work / set up your own business perhaps?
Old 03-14-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KissMyTiara View Post
Listen to KMT soberaccountant. You still have a promising career ahead of you!!! I had a DUI arrest and a couple of other arrests (bar fights) prior to graduating with my accounting degree. I'm now a CPA/Partner with a large regional CPA firm. You're not the first (or last) professional that has screwed up in this way, but be sure to get the help you need!!!
Old 03-14-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Yep, see Soberaccountant. Two CPA's saying it's gonna be OK. Yes it's scary at first and things seem bleak. But that really is not what is going to happen. Keep working towards your 150 hours to sit and accruing very valuable work experience. Every job I applied for after my DUI no one ever mentioned it. It was a misdemeanor and I completed everything required. I don't think they even do background on misdemeanors. And the Board of Accountancy didn't question it either.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

OP, what are your thoughts on simply drawing unemployment for a while?

Trying this sobriety thing while at the same time stressing about money/job issues can be daunting. Maybe if you got on dole/unemployment for a few months it will make the sobriety process easier. The first few months of quitting seem to be the hardest, take it as easy as you can. It would give you some time to "re-group" and re-center yourself if nothing else.

Just an idea i thought I'd throw out there....
Old 03-14-2016, 03:37 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 30 days soberaccountant

D
Old 03-14-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

30 days is wonderful, soberaccountant.

I think the responses here are great. I hope it's helping to talk it over.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:21 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

"In pray to God for direction and hope for my future to no avail" I been told God speaks to us but when we drink we don't hear. Also we see God in the rear view mirror. One thing is certain you haven't drank for for awhile and that sounds like a good thing for you. Some of need a real kick in the pants to before we start to listen.