SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Wedding worries (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/386598-wedding-worries.html)

loulou1981 03-10-2016 03:03 PM

Wedding worries

So I'm getting married in May, I'm obviously really excited about it but I'm also starting to feel a bit anxious as the date gets closer.
I know it's my AV but it keeps saying "of course u can toast with some champagne"!!!! I've mentioned this to my fiance, his answer was right..."no u can't, u have a drinking problem & always will do, we'll find u something delicious to toast with instead" its so frustrating that 'alcohol' is always there, lingering, waiting for me to have a weak moment!!!!!
I'm sure I won't have a slip, most of our families r aware of my sobriety so I know I'll have that support but I'm worried it will overshadow the day........I just want to enjoy my day without booze being a factor!!!!

SoberLeigh 03-10-2016 03:07 PM

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials, loulou; how exciting.

It is great that your husband is solidly on your side.

Keep focusing on the beauty of the day and the goodness that your new life offers. It will help you to kick your AV to the curb.

Coldfusion 03-10-2016 03:12 PM

Best wishes for your wedding! It sounds as if you will be a happy couple.

Just have sparkling water for your toast and during the reception. You wouldn't want to start your life together by getting drunk!

saoutchik 03-10-2016 04:07 PM

Congratulations for your upcoming wedding loulou.

I'm sure you will be just fine

ICanDoBetter 03-10-2016 04:09 PM

Great that he is on your side :-)

Would you consider a dry reception? It's your day... Your call of whether there is alcohol.

Notimetoloose 03-10-2016 04:32 PM

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage...I am sure you are going to have a wonderful sober wedding day.
Your future husband sounds like he has your back.
With so much time, money and effort that goes into planning a wedding day,
it is time to take care of yourself, drink plenty of water, have a massage, plenty of stretches, exercise, perhaps a multivitamin,,get the stress out..it works.
have a wonderful day : )

Anna 03-10-2016 04:46 PM

I hope you have a beautiful wedding and it's great that your fiancé is supportive.

Dee74 03-10-2016 04:48 PM

I've toasted with many things, including an empty glass. The toast is the important thing, not whats in the glass :)

If that's all your AV can pull out, you've got it on the ropes, loulou :)

D

least 03-10-2016 05:17 PM

Congrats on your upcoming wedding. :) Just remind yourself that you don't want to wake up the morning after your wedding to a huge hangover. :(

Shantilove 03-11-2016 05:36 AM

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!
I drank at my wedding and it's a huge regret of mine and guilt I have to live with forever. Of course it ended badly and I embarrassed myself. You don't want that.
You will be able to enjoy your day sober and remember every detail, it will be amazing.

MikeM 03-11-2016 05:46 AM

It will only overshadow the day if you let it. There are so many things you could be focusing on. You're getting married! You have friends and family there. It will be wonderful in ways you can't even imagine yet. It will be the happiest day of your life.

And the fact that you don't drink, makes it even better! You can drink any type of non-alcoholic beverages and think: "Look at me. Sober. Getting married. Life is wonderful."

And the fact that the people who support you are right there... does it get any better? It sounds like the perfect wedding to me. There will be no shadow.

Delilah1 03-11-2016 06:05 AM

I love that he said we will find you something delicious to toast with, sounds like you are marrying one of the good ones!

MikeM 03-11-2016 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Delilah1 (Post 5844295)
I love that he said we will find you something delicious to toast with, sounds like you are marrying one of the good ones!

Agreed. Find me one of those in female form and I'm ready to get married! :)

loulou1981 03-11-2016 11:45 AM

Thanks everyone, just read all ur replies, just hearing that positivity has made me feel heeps better!!x

EndGameNYC 03-11-2016 12:05 PM

What would overshadow the day is a drunken, slobbering bride who rips off her wedding gown, insults her new relatives and burns the place down.

Staying sober is a much better way to make your day memorable.

Congratulations.

loulou1981 03-11-2016 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC (Post 5844832)
What would overshadow the day is a drunken, slobbering bride who rips off her wedding gown, insults her new relatives and burns the place down.

Staying sober is a much better way to make your day memorable.

Congratulations.

That made me laugh....so could've been a possibility!!!!

teatreeoil007 03-11-2016 12:45 PM

Contrary to popular belief you don't have to have alcohol at weddings and can still be wonderful.

Soberwolf 03-11-2016 01:01 PM

I think EndGame said it well Congratulations on your upcomng nuptials