SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Is cider fattening? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/386564-cider-fattening.html)

danb26 03-10-2016 03:39 AM

Is cider fattening?

I know lager is fattening but is cider? because I have been sober for just over a month now and I have noticed plus other people have said ive lost weight

Dee74 03-10-2016 03:43 AM

yep. It's got all the empty calories of any other alcoholic drink Dan.

Glad you're seeing another benefit to abstinence :)

D

ICanDoBetter 03-10-2016 03:44 AM

Cider definitely has a ton of sugar which then impacts your metabolism/insulin levels.

Mountainmanbob 03-10-2016 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by danb26 (Post 5842299)
I know lager is fattening but is cider? because I have been sober for just over a month now and I have noticed plus other people have said ive lost weight

Don't think that you have lost weight due to drinking cider.
Cider has a lot on natural sugars.
In early sobriety as ones mind, body and soul recover
there are many changes and some are hard to understand.

Keep doing what you have been doing -- not drinking.

Most all issues clear up with more time spent sober.

M-Bob

Soberwolf 03-10-2016 04:57 AM

Yes it is fattening

strategery 03-10-2016 07:20 AM

Cider can be very high calorie. It's not as bad as some mixed drinks, but it is still very high calorie compared to many other drinks.
Drinking doesn't do us any favors with calories.

Anna 03-10-2016 07:24 AM

Yes, there is lots of sugar in alcohol. I have always had low blood-sugar and my body thought alcohol was the answer to its prayers. :( One of the many reasons I was so quickly addicted.

NoelleR 03-10-2016 08:05 AM

Actually, There is no sugar in alcohol. Any sugar in alcoholic drinks is from the mixers. Alcohol is basically made up of ethanol. Ethanol directly inhibits your bodies production of sugar. Your liver normally makes sugar when you are sleeping so that your brain has energy to function. Ethanol prevents the liver from making sugar, and you can become hypoglycemic (have very low sugar - which happens to a lot of alcoholics.

Through body processes, alcohol metabolizes over time to energy sources (sugars/carbohydrates).

(o:

48heath 03-10-2016 08:34 AM

Cider has a high sugar content,about 5teaspoons per pint.Some of the ciders produced here in the UK have even more.

Dee74 03-10-2016 01:26 PM

Hidden levels of sugar in alcohol revealed - Telegraph

thomas11 03-10-2016 02:02 PM

I think there might be a debate on the word alcohol. Alcohol can be 100% pure ethyl alcohol (which no one drinks that i know of) and alcoholic beverages. In the end, increased empty calories along with the way the liver metabolizes alcohol (I'm pretty sure it metabolizes alcohol before all other nutrients, slowing metabolism) will inevitably lead to weight gain. The possible exception being the malnourished alcoholic. Just my 2 cents.

sleepie 03-10-2016 02:08 PM

Ask your doctor. but even they may not know. There are a ton of things it might be.

I was told by 2 different doctors "Beer has a lot of sugar", then "There's no sugar in beer" and then still- "Your body converts alcohol to sugar".