Notices

Hello

Old 03-09-2016, 07:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

I'm new. I'm absolutely NOT religious. I cannot 'get' into AA, no matter what "Oh, your Higher Power can be anything..."
I don't buy into that. If you're offended, well, pass on, delete me, etc.
I'm TIRED of the God rhetoric.
I WANT to be sober, but the thought of another AA meeting (oh, we're not religious) sickens me. As well as groups who state they are not religious, and oh, Glory Be!!! :/
Yes, I've been sober before. Without AA. My own strength. I've somehow lost it; over years of "whatever".
I found this place on the internet, and if I seem a bit skeptical, well, it is 2016
Again, I must reiterate... NO RELIGION. Just boot me out, otherwise.
Oh, and Hello...this is my introduction. If you've made it this far, you've actually read what I wrote. Good day.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi CrazeeCat

We actually don't allow recovery debates in this forum.
We try to run on mutual respect here, irrespective of beliefs.

I get you're new, so no harm no foul.

Have you looked at the secular groups like SMART Recovery LifeRing, SOS, and Rational Recovery?

D
Old 03-09-2016, 08:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello friend, glad you're here! I'd like to hear more of your back story. How much previous sober time, have you made a game plan this time around for sobriety, what are your big triggers, do you have friend's and family support, etc... I've got almost 4 months and SR is a great resource. Again, welcome & good-luck!

That was a quick try, but a try none the less.
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi CC Welcome to the site. Lots of great info and support here.
I, too, am not religious. This site does not cram these ideas down your throat.
I visit this site daily as it helps me to stay sober. There are people, just like me, who have been where I have been. People who are where I am in my sobriety. And wise folks, who have stayed sober for years, they are here to help and I aspire to be like them. And all of them understand.
Stick around. It's worth it.
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

There is a section of this forum dedicated to Secular Recovery. You will find a lot of discussion of AVRT, which is something else you may want to explore.

Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 03-09-2016, 08:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Unhappy

I Live in an area where there are AA meetings held (locally) 3 times a week, which of course interferes with my work schedule (as well as MY beliefs). There are no other alternatives.
I was referred to this website, as being non-religious for my recovery.
I will not come back, as it seems as though this is a forum, although you practice recovery, it is HEAVILY in a denominational format.
Thank you for your consideration,
CC
Old 03-09-2016, 08:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lynnmarie123 View Post
Hi CC Welcome to the site. Lots of great info and support here.
I, too, am not religious. This site does not cram these ideas down your throat.
I visit this site daily as it helps me to stay sober. There are people, just like me, who have been where I have been. People who are where I am in my sobriety. And wise folks, who have stayed sober for years, they are here to help and I aspire to be like them. And all of them understand.
Stick around. It's worth it.
Thank you. I wish I had read that before the original reply. Too upset now. Thank you.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

CrazeeCat, I will pray for you Sorry, I couldn't resist.

You're in the right place, no one is going to boot you out. There are several atheists that post on here regularly. Can't recall who because it's not a big deal. You will get to know them if you post here long enough.

I don't think I post about religion. Maybe I don't notice but it doesn't seem to be the focus here. Most post about their day, problems, solutions and ask for advice.

Click on Coldfusion's link-same forum different area.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not sure how you got that by my reply - unless you meant this is not a forum where you can bag AA or any other method.

That is correct, but it works, CC. It cuts both ways.

I hope you'll give us a chance.

I'm not an AAer, but SR saved my life

D
Old 03-09-2016, 08:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Hey Crazee, take a look around is my suggestion. We have all sorts here, all stages of recovery, and all manner of ways used to get there. I am not an AA person myself, and there are plenty of us here. It may not be obvious at first, because our first goal, and one that is shared here among all of the members here, is that desire to get sober, and live well. You can do it too! I hope you stick around because there is a lot of support here for you.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I thank most of you for your input. I will search the forums. This was my "Introduction", happy you handled it with class.
About me? Well, got sober in my 20's, (started drinking at 15, but, very little; hit it hard when I was about 18) lasted 5.1 years; relapsed, got sober again in my 30's. Lasted until I was 42. Have been hitting it hard for the past 2 years. I look like poo, feel like poo...
And that's my story.
Thank you. I appreciate the kind words.