Notices

Old 03-09-2016, 07:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,

A little background, I partied a lot in college, and in some was continued after that but it was more under the table. I quit drinking a few years back for a couple of months and then managed to "drink responsibly" for a year or so until some major stress hit. What did I do? You guessed it went back in to the bottle. This past Monday I broke out in hives, Dr. is thinking because of stress, but if scared me and I have self-diagnosed myself with about 17 different things. I made the decision Monday night that enough is enough and I am not 49 hours in. I looked at my wife and kids and decided that I wanted to not only make it to my 35th birthday in a couple of weeks, but that I want to be around for my kids 35th birthdays. I think if I can get the negative thoughts out of my head and just focus on the present and future that it will get easier. So far the only side effect has been a little "twitching" of my hands but it goes away quickly. Luckily I have an appetite and have been eating well. I thank you all in advance and please pray for me, if that's what you do, or send me positive thoughts.

Thanks again.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR FrankJr

D
Old 03-09-2016, 07:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you are here.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, FrankJr! I'm glad you've joined us here.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome FrankJR!
Old 03-10-2016, 01:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, you can do this!
Old 03-10-2016, 05:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi FrankJr
Old 03-10-2016, 12:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hows it going FrankJr
Old 03-10-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, frankjr, to SR; very glad you found us.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

how are you doing today frankj?
Old 03-10-2016, 02:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard Frankjr. How is today going?
Old 03-10-2016, 02:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome frank, how has ur day been so far??
Old 03-10-2016, 03:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support here. I hope we can help you get sober for good.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, and thanks for the welcome. Sorry it took so long for me to post today, just been busy. I leave for work at 5:30 and usually don't get home until 3:15ish.

Today has been pretty good all things considered. Slept OK, felt good all day, ran 35 minutes and got in 4.2 miles, made dinner, spent time SOBER with the wife and kids, and got to 2 grocery stores all by 9:30. The thing is, my grocery store runs after getting the kids down would always be a time of drinking, so to do it all sober was a little wierd.

Health wise, besides the difficulty sleeping, and knowing my BP is a little high it was a good day.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by frankjr View Post
Hi Everyone,

A little background, I partied a lot in college, and in some was continued after that but it was more under the table. I quit drinking a few years back for a couple of months and then managed to "drink responsibly" for a year or so until some major stress hit. What did I do? You guessed it went back in to the bottle. This past Monday I broke out in hives, Dr. is thinking because of stress, but if scared me and I have self-diagnosed myself with about 17 different things. I made the decision Monday night that enough is enough and I am not 49 hours in. I looked at my wife and kids and decided that I wanted to not only make it to my 35th birthday in a couple of weeks, but that I want to be around for my kids 35th birthdays. I think if I can get the negative thoughts out of my head and just focus on the present and future that it will get easier. So far the only side effect has been a little "twitching" of my hands but it goes away quickly. Luckily I have an appetite and have been eating well. I thank you all in advance and please pray for me, if that's what you do, or send me positive thoughts.

Thanks again.
Hey buddy. Word of advice: stay away from "Dr. Google" and "WebMD"..... you'll drive yourself crazy thinking you're having a heart attack, have cancer, you about to die, etc. Seems EVERY little symptom you enter into Google comes back as "life threatening condition", "cancer", "heart attack", etc

I'm guilty of the "self diagnosis" thing myself, even went to a dermatologist one time cause i was super paranoid about a new skin mole that appeared suddenly. I spent days and days sulking with my anxiety/paranoia building. I did the same thing, went to "Dr. Google" and it only gave me more anxiety, made me more paranoid. "Dr. Google" just makes your anxiety worse if you are an highly anxiety-prone person (as i am). I made my appointment, got checked out, and it turned out to be nothing.... wasted like $100. And that's just one example.

When i was younger i actually went to an ER cause i genuinely thought i was having a heart attack, i was doing the same thing back then "Googling around".

You'd be surprised how many "dangerous" conditions simple anxiety can mimic, almost exactly. Always see an actual doctor if something legit concerns you, stay away from "Dr. Google" it will just amplify your anxiety levels x10000.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grubby View Post
Hey buddy. Word of advice: stay away from "Dr. Google" and "WebMD"..... you'll drive yourself crazy thinking you're having a heart attack, have cancer, you about to die, etc. Seems EVERY little symptom you enter into Google comes back as "life threatening condition", "cancer", "heart attack", etc

I'm guilty of the "self diagnosis" thing myself, even went to a dermatologist one time cause i was super paranoid about a new skin mole that appeared suddenly. I spent days and days sulking with my anxiety/paranoia building. I did the same thing, went to "Dr. Google" and it only gave me more anxiety, made me more paranoid. "Dr. Google" just makes your anxiety worse if you are an highly anxiety-prone person (as i am). I made my appointment, got checked out, and it turned out to be nothing.... wasted like $100. And that's just one example.

When i was younger i actually went to an ER cause i genuinely thought i was having a heart attack, i was doing the same thing back then "Googling around".

You'd be surprised how many "dangerous" conditions simple anxiety can mimic, almost exactly. Always see an actual doctor if something legit concerns you, stay away from "Dr. Google" it will just amplify your anxiety levels x10000.
Thanks for the advice Grubby, and I came to this eye opening conclusion on my run today. My lab results came back pretty good, 2 of the enzyme tests were slightly elevated, but only by 5 points each. The Dr. said that he wouldn't worry about it unless they were 2 or 3 times what mine were. Of course throughout the day, before my run, I kept looking into those and kept finding that some people can be in trouble even at those levels. But like I said on my run, I decided to try to stop worrying about it, stay the course, and when I go back for a re-test after 90 days, mostly to see if my BP goes down I will ask the questions and see where I am at. My BP was way higher than it should have been which was likely the combination of a ton of stress, not having drank in 40 hours, and just being anxious.

Thanks again.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Looks like I spoke a little too soon last night. Ended up staying up watching a movie a little later than I planned with my wife. Slept well, but had some insane dreams including one of me drinking, and woke up with a headache this morning. I am assuming dehydration, but it sucks because I feel like I usually would while partaking. Add last night's dream in and I feel like I did a few days ago. HOWEVER, I am now 84 hours in, so I know it will get better. Luckily I get to go into work later than usual today.

I hope you all have a wonderful day.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks Frank you too
Old 03-11-2016, 03:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ok, still having a rougher day than the last 3. Headache all day and now I am at my parent's house with my family which would normally be a few beer affair. Going to make it, but going to be a long night, especially with the kids being a handful.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Were right here with you Frank