Gave my big book away.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grendhar View Post
Gave my big book away.
Why?
Old 03-11-2016, 09:08 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Someone new needed one and I've decided none of that was working for me.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:15 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

You could perhaps find a copy online to download.

One thing that I've been thinking about is how I really really really tried to control my drinking in a number of ways such as reading self-help books, counseling, going to a new church, getting a new partner, eating healthier, switching from wine to beer.......but for me it all came down to switching that control lever from controlling my drinking to controlling my recovery. Now granted a major medical event helped throw that switch as I ended up in the intensive care with a brain injury. I was able to have some awesome plastic surgery and learning to deal with cognitive and memory challenges, AND I found SR. I make a point to check in on here every day and to participate in the discussions.

Glad you are here
Old 03-11-2016, 09:20 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

It sounds like you practice self destruction. I say that because I KNOW I do and actions like that resonates the self destruct bell for me.

When I feel bad about myself, what I represent, the lies I have made, actions I have taken, I tended to punish myself. Self destruction all the way for me.

Something to be aware of. If you find yourself in a sour mood and do things or say things that make things even harder on yourself, it's your subconscious mind punishing yourself.

Which brings me to a suggestion. Even if you don't tend to practice self destruction. Set an appt with and follow through on seeing a counselor / therapist.

You don't have to do it because you have mental problems. Maybe you do, maybe you don't. Maybe you're depressed, maybe you're not. Of course if you are, therapy is the cure. If you're not, therapy takes you to the next level.

It's a big step and honestly, I'm betting you won't make the appointment. Many people have to be in a real bad state before taking a step like that. Meanwhile, if they would have taken that step earlier, they'd be in a better place.

Consider nothing more than a life couch. Most of the most successful people have a life coach. A professional that will listen and guide you.

Do it. I dare you!
Old 03-11-2016, 09:31 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

The answer has been right in front of me the whole time.

That's the real insanity.

Done with this thread, thank you to those who posted.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Returning to using my "Day 1 and beyond" thread. I see no reason to keep posting on one titled "Insanity" that I made while drunk (the other day)
Old 03-11-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Grendhar. You know I mean well. I really want to help you. But you really need to change your attitude. From the place you're in to on that says: "I just don't drink."

As you know, I find that you've not been behaving appropriately. That's not a problem though. We all have moments. Recovery can do weird things to a person. I do see it in that perspective.

What I do would like you to do is related to what you wrote:

"The answer has been right in front of me the whole time."

What is this answer that's been right in front of you the whole time?
Old 03-11-2016, 01:02 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Grendhar. You know I mean well. I really want to help you. But you really need to change your attitude. From the place you're in to on that says: "I just don't drink."

As you know, I find that you've not been behaving appropriately. That's not a problem though. We all have moments. Recovery can do weird things to a person. I do see it in that perspective.

What I do would like you to do is related to what you wrote:

"The answer has been right in front of me the whole time."

What is this answer that's been right in front of you the whole time?
I once respected you, now I could care less if you find that I have not been behaving appropriately. Perhaps I could of explained the meaning of my earlier posts better, but they were in no way inappropriate.

This fiasco started when I said I gave my big book away. All that meant was I'm going to do something different this time instead of the same old things that hadn't been working up until now.

As for trying to shut down this thread, I have read the responses and most of them have had an effect on me and I appreciate them. I just see no point in keeping a thread open called "Insanity" that I made the other day while drinking.

Mike,

Do not post to me again.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I once respected you, now I could care less if you find that I have not been behaving appropriately. Perhaps I could of explained the meaning of my earlier posts better, but they were in no way inappropriate.

This fiasco started when I said I gave my big book away. All that meant was I'm going to do something different this time instead of the same old things that hadn't been working up until now.

As for trying to shut down this thread, I have read the responses and most of them have had an effect on me and I appreciate them. I just see no point in keeping a thread open called "Insanity" that I made the other day while drinking.

Mike,

Do not post to me again.
So you do not want to explain what the answer that occurred to you was, potentially for the benefit of many others but would rather fight.

Grendhar, You are:

- aggressive
- passive aggressive
- lazy
- unmotivated
- angry

At least. I don't care if I get called back by the moderators again because you need to hear the truth.

Want to get sober? Ditch all of the above. And whatever else is going on with you. Even if you have an aversion to me, you need to set that aside and do what is best for you. And that's getting rid of all those negative things.

I have tried to help you man. But every time I got to the real cause of your addiction and/or called you on things, you have been defensive. There's other people to help, you know? I get you and can help you but you have given me little motivations to do so.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

So you do not want to explain what the answer that occurred to you was, potentially for the benefit of many others but would rather fight.

Grendhar, You are:

- aggressive
- passive aggressive
- lazy
- unmotivated
- angry

At least. I don't care if I get called back by the moderators again because you need to hear the truth.

Want to get sober? Ditch all of the above. And whatever else is going on with you. Even if you have an aversion to me, you need to set that aside and do what is best for you. And that's getting rid of all those negative things.

I have tried to help you man. But every time I got to the real cause of your addiction and/or called you on things, you have been defensive. There's other people to help, you know? I get you and can help you but you have given me little motivations to do so.
Mike it is time for you to focus your attention on something / someone else. Harassing me isn't helping either of us.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Mike it is time for you to focus your attention on something / someone else. Harassing me isn't helping either of us.
Apart from it not being harassment. I agree I am better of spending my time on something productive.

Btw, your harassment comment made me remember one point on my list that I forgot:

- over-sensitive

Ok, time for some self-reflection.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Apart from it not being harassment. I agree I am better of spending my time on something productive.

Btw, your harassment comment made me remember one point on my list that I forgot:

- over-sensitive

Ok, time for some self-reflection.
If I do not want your brand of "help", you can't force it on me. I asked you to simply leave me alone. If I don't want your help, yet you keep posting, it is harassment.

Maybe this is my fault for responding to you .. I shouldn't be feeding a troll.

I'm not responding to you again.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:28 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

If I do not want your brand of "help", you can't force it on me. I asked you to simply leave me alone. If I don't want your help, yet you keep posting, it is harassment.

Maybe this is my fault for responding to you .. I shouldn't be feeding a troll.

I'm not responding to you again.
I know where this is coming from. The same place your addiction comes from. But you wouldn't be able to handle the full truth.

Besides, I do not feel like responding to you again either.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:44 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I think "rock bottom" is defined by the individual.
My Rock Bottom was thinking it was ok to drive drunk and risk my professional licensure, not just my drivers license.
I enjoyed RR, the Easy Way to Quit Drinking and anything by Eckhart Tolle. All were life-changing.
Holly.🎋
Old 03-11-2016, 01:56 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thank you Holly.

I started reading the Rational Recovery book last night. Really like it so far.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:31 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have you read living sober

Alcoholics Anonymous : Living Sober

Linked with the permission of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.

Last edited by Dee74; 03-11-2016 at 02:59 PM. Reason: disclaimer required when linking to aa.org
Old 03-11-2016, 02:57 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Bits and pieces of it. I'll look it over again.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:08 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Grendhar,
sounds like a positive step to move away from insanity, both the condition and the so-named-thread.
and just a reminder that we have the option of putting into effect the 'ignore' function on this board.

and i'm glad to hear you're looking at/finding a path that makes sense to you.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:03 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Apologies to Grendhar. I could have been nicer. Besides, Dee has informed me that I was acting against the rules.

I won't get into detail as to why I responded this way, other than that I've seen it work very well and that I, believe it nor not, was coming from a place of wanting to help and caring.

This approach wasn't appropriate here obviously, so I misread that. And it's not allowed to begin with.

So I apologize. And wish you well Grendhar, I really do. I can't wait to see your milestones coming by!