Notices

Cant stop drinking

Old 03-09-2016, 02:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cant stop drinking

Hey everyone, this is my first time on a forum like this and I really need some help. I'm 22 years old and for the past 3 years I have been drinking heavily everyday. I haven't had 1 day off the booze since I was 19 when i went through a bad break up. Everyday after work I will drink 6 - 10 full strength beers and then after dinner I will drink at least half of a 4 litre wine cask. I really want to quit drinking because I know I am doing serious damage to my body. I've tried to go cold turkey once before and started having really bad withdrawals. I just don't know where to start, any advice you guys can give me?
Old 03-09-2016, 02:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No advice really as I have continued to fail at quitting. Actually that is not true, the one piece of advice I have is to NEVER GIVE UP fighting. I have had a series of major meltdowns recently and have finally accepted to go to rehab. If I could say one thing to my old self, when I first signed up here and started to get really serious about quitting I'd say "Don't wait years to get the help you need"
So, I'll say the same to you, if you cannot do it on your own, reach out for whatever help you can right now. Go to rehab, go to AA, go to a doctor, get any kind of help. You don't want any more of this misery do you?
Lastly, maybe go to your doctor or the hospital even, if you suffer serious withdrawals it is the safest way for you to quit. They can also help you put into place other support.
Best of luck to you!
Old 03-09-2016, 03:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The best advice I have is to get through the withdrawal however you need to and seek out some support. It does get better, but yes the withdrawal is brutal!

Welcome to SR
Old 03-09-2016, 03:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by michaeljay View Post
Hey everyone, this is my first time on a forum like this and I really need some help. I'm 22 years old and for the past 3 years I have been drinking heavily everyday. I haven't had 1 day off the booze since I was 19 when i went through a bad break up. Everyday after work I will drink 6 - 10 full strength beers and then after dinner I will drink at least half of a 4 litre wine cask. I really want to quit drinking because I know I am doing serious damage to my body. I've tried to go cold turkey once before and started having really bad withdrawals. I just don't know where to start, any advice you guys can give me?
That is some heavy drinking. Good thing is, you have your youth working for you.

But this needs to stop. There will be a point where you will get fatally ill from drinking if you keep this up. And btw, that means you may not live to see 30.

Hard facts. But you need to hear them.

Another fact is, if you do quit, you can make the most out of live. You have so many ways you can become happy. Only one thing is standing in your way: drinking.

Given your description, how much you drink, your age, your experience with withdrawal, I recommend you go see your doctor, get into a medical detox program and then rehab. Give it your all. It's not just getting rid of booze. It's about creating the live you've always wanted.

Btw, you may be wondering why your age is a factor. I remember being 22. And I'm still young, 34. But I know that at 22, you are much less equipped to deal with things. You just haven't had the learning experiences yet. Yes, life gets better when you get older. If you do it right, that is. Learn, develop yourself, create the life you want.

And I know that's what you want. Everyone wants that. Everyone wants to be happy. And you're not. You can't be. You're a heavy alcoholic.

Take that as a fact. Accept it. Now do something about it.

And what you need to do is get help. You might be able to do it yourself, but why make it difficult? Alcoholism, sadly, is a well-known disease that many people have. The benefit though, for you, is that they have gotten really good at treating it.

You want to be happy? Go see your doctor,
Old 03-09-2016, 04:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome MichaelJay
Old 03-09-2016, 05:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Welcome Michael. The advice I'd give you is see your doctor and be honest about your dinking and desire to quit. The Dr can help you get through the withdrawals. Also know they can be dangerous, even life threatening.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome to SR, michaeljay!

I first quit drinking at 21 and found out that life could be far better than I could even imagine. Stick around here and you'll get lots of advice and support!
Old 03-09-2016, 05:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My advice is to tell your Dr. you want to quit. He/She may suggest detox. There are outpatient detox options (where you would not have to be hospitalized to detox). Go to an AA meeting. Be honest about how much you have been drinking and how you are feeling etc. You are so young....you have your whole life ahead of you. Deal with this now, don't wait. You don't want to be fighting booze in your 30s!
Old 03-09-2016, 06:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I would suggest asking your doctor for help in getting safely thru the withdrawals. After you've detoxed, make a plan for staying sober.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bunny211 View Post
My advice is to tell your Dr. you want to quit. He/She may suggest detox. There are outpatient detox options (where you would not have to be hospitalized to detox). Go to an AA meeting. Be honest about how much you have been drinking and how you are feeling etc. You are so young....you have your whole life ahead of you. Deal with this now, don't wait. You don't want to be fighting booze in your 30s!
Really, you don't. Trust me.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Michael
some great ideas here. I have to agree - if you're drinking at that level daily, seeing your Dr before anything else is probably a good idea?

D