Notices

Coffee

Old 03-08-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coffee

I just responded on another thread on the subject of coffee. My recovering brain can't handle it. But in a really, really bad way. So I decided to make a new thread about it, pasting my post and question here:

Originally Posted by spadge View Post
Congratulations Mike!!!

I too am a stickler for coffee and drinking copious amounts of it which naturally in turn gives me anxiety! And I can't stand tea so drinking fruit juice at night which is curbing it.

Well done hun xxx
How bad does your anxiety from coffee get? Because I get anxious after the second cup. The first one actually relaxes me. But last time, when I had 10, maybe more, I could not call it anxiety anymore. It was pure, intense fear. Incredible fear. I felt like I would die any moment. I couldn't stand up or walk straight. Dizziness. Hyperventilation. Nausea. Vasovagal syncope starting until I stopped it before I passed out (learned that from the doctor, I did see a doctor about this).

Anyone, do you recognize this? Actually, I'll make another thread about it.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lol I replied to your other thread! Try decaf - that's wht my doc recommended. I love my coffee tho and still have at least 10 cups a day!!!

Last edited by spadge; 03-08-2016 at 12:39 PM. Reason: missed sentence
Old 03-08-2016, 12:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes, my body is much more sensitive to caffiene now. I drink decaf or half-caff only, and only a couple of cups at the most.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's what I was told - only two cups! Im like are you kidding me!!! xx
Old 03-08-2016, 01:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Curiuos to know why you would test the waters by going from none to 10 cups in a day? Either way, glad you learned from it. I drink a large cup in the morning and that's it for the day. I also think this energy drink phenomena is borderline dangerous. All my younger guys drank the stuff like water, it can't be good for you.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Before I quit drinking I would wake up and slam a large energy drink then get to the office and drink cup after cup of coffee all day and be "fine".

Now if I have 1 sip too much (2 cups is about the top end)it turns into major anxiety land, everything starts to get irritating and I can't think. I love coffee but man I tend to over do things.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Curiuos to know why you would test the waters by going from none to 10 cups in a day? Either way, glad you learned from it. I drink a large cup in the morning and that's it for the day. I also think this energy drink phenomena is borderline dangerous. All my younger guys drank the stuff like water, it can't be good for you.
It was just one of those situation where there was a lot of coffee and I kept refilling. Normally I wouldn't drink that much. This was an exception.

But I'm good with water and a couple of green tea now, fortunately.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

In very early sobriety I couldn't drink coffee at all. Now I stick to 2 cups of half caf per day, max. If I accidentally get too much caffeine (sometimes at work people mix up the decaf and the regular) I get shaky, dizzy, panicky, racing heart, etc.

On a semi side note, caffeine is a stimulant and too much of it is not good for anyone, let alone recovering alcoholics. I never really understood why AA meetings are always full of people drinking coffee...
Old 03-08-2016, 02:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I drink a max of 3 hot drinks a day so that's either tea or coffee with the odd hot chocolate. It's just not good for u to have too much & the stimulant factor could get messy if u let it
Old 03-08-2016, 04:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

10 months clean. No booze. No meds. Just regular life. Similar to my 12 year old. Except I eat a bit healthier.

I totally get freaked out from coffee. I drink it on special occasions. Whatever i decide is special. But, since I am an addictive type. I embrace the freak.

I get wired from too much sugar now too. Like at a buffet where there are about 20 different deserts. I usually sample at least half. Talk about wired after that.

I don't drink coffee or eat sweets very often, but when I do, they are my new addiction.

I get wired for an hour off sweets. Coffee.... was up till past midnight last sat. Drank 2 big cups around 7 pm.

So there we are....sweets and caffeine do not seem as addictive as booze for sure...so we got that going for us...
Old 03-08-2016, 06:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I l.o.v.e c.of.f.e.e
Old 03-08-2016, 06:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Sometimes coffee messes me up, but as long as I am mindful of the rate of my intake and don't drink it on an empty stomach, I'm fine. I usually have two cups in the morning, and one or two more mid-afternoon. I will often only have my two cups in the morning, just because I get involved in something in the afternoon and don't take my coffee break. Last October when I was on a two week meditation retreat, I had a day when I drank about 20 cups throughout the day and I thought I was going to have a serious meltdown. Fortunately, I was meditating in three hour blocks, and the pre-dinner sit calmed me down enough that I made it to dinner without freaking out. Lesson learned.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Over time, my coffee consumption adjusted itself to 2-3 cups per day of strong French press coffee with a splash of half & half. At first though, in early sobriety, I tried drinking more. My body had become so used to the numbing effects of consuming substances in such large quantities, and for effect, that I had a hard time even feeling the effects of a large amount of coffee. But then suddenly... wham!! It hit me hard. I had to reel in the coffee consumption. The anxiety and tension caused major irritability. It didn't take me long to figure out that I could indeed drink a cup or two and get the benefits, and be satisfied with that. I didn't need to saturate myself with caffeine like I'd been doing with the wine. For a binge drinker, that was a pretty cool revelation.