Notices

Back to work plan help required

Old 03-08-2016, 01:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back to work plan help required

So I had a huge wobble this weekend with my drinking and found myself in a very dark place again. I've been off the last couple of days-my boss knows I suffer with depression so that's what I have tagged it as. But I want to make it work-work gives me routine, a purpose, an excuse to get out the house, dress up pretty etc. However I want to know what plans specifically for going back to work in early recovery people have put in place that helps them stay sober when the tiredness/pressure etc comes in from facing the world like this. I'm a fighter, don't want to hide any more but I need to spend today writing a good strong plan
Old 03-08-2016, 01:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi

Making sure I have enough food with me, especially if it's a full on day

Having a large thermo cup of hot tea (ginger lemon with chamomile and fresh lemons) made very strong to cut across my tastebuds

Looking at the day first thing in the morning and thinking about hot spot meetings or potentially triggering people

Setting alarms on my phone with suitable messages to AV. Usually includes a few swear words to remind myself how strongly I feel about not drinking.

Setting reminders to ask myself - how are you feeling? Are u okay? What do you need?

Picking a time to leave and sticking to it.

Eating healthy snacks like dates or cheeries on the drive home

Picking a route home

Planning the evening in 10 minute slots once I get home if I have to - this keeps me focused

Use the microwave timer to do this or to time urges (reminds me of working through pinchy nasty contractions!! And reminds me I am not in physical pain)

Saving up my SR time. I keep it special and check my fav threads when I get into the car after work. It grounds me.

Think about 5 people that love me and would want me to be good to myself

Hugs to youxxx
Old 03-08-2016, 02:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

one needs to start

Originally Posted by sadsadgirl View Post
I'm a fighter, don't want to hide any more but I need to spend today writing a good strong plan
If done to the best of ones ability -- this should take a while.
Make a list of reasons why you should not drink.

Get, order or steal a copy of the AA Big Book.

Eat good and exercise.

There are many more but, one needs to start somewhere.

MB
Old 03-08-2016, 02:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks trees-they are really helpful suggestions. I tend to procrastinate a lot in work and my sponsor is suggesting that I pray for willingness when I'm doing it. But if I've procrastinated then I'll stay later thank I should and it gets me worse and worse!

What do you do for lunchtimes? I'm thinking of leaving the office to go to a coffee shop-get herbal tea and read/listen to mindfulness meditation on my phone.

Loving the phone reminders idea!!
Old 03-08-2016, 02:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great ideas here sadsadgirl - when are you thinking of going back to work?

D
Old 03-08-2016, 11:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Today Dee! En route as I type. Looking for an AA meeting to attend tonight as that gives me something to look forward to. I think it'll have to be a case of taking each hour as it comes and just making the most out of them!

Setting alarms on my phone. And going to take half an hour out for lunch to sit with a tea and log on to here.

I'm nervous because it'll be the first time I've seen my boss for a few weeks. But it's a bit like ripping the plaster straight off. Having an AA meeting at the end of the day will give me something to work towards.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My recovery plan included weekly sessions with an addiction counselor. She was very helpful to me, in all aspects of my life, not just sobriety.

I also find that practicing gratitude every day gives me a positive outlook.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Love all these ideas.

My procrastination got worse when I stopped drinking -- my dark voice needed another place to shout it out.

Its better now, but still tough going.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by sadsadgirl View Post
However I want to know what plans specifically for going back to work in early recovery people have put in place that helps them stay sober when the tiredness/pressure etc comes in from facing the world like this.
First off, if work is giving you stress and anxiety, that has to be addressed. It's just WORK. A job. Not our lives.

Second, regarding tiredness/pressure...alcohol is no replacement for rest, it's not the solution for stress and pressure. You are aren't drinking because your tired and feeling pressured, though you might tell yourself that. You drink because you are an alcoholic.

Rest when you are tired, find healthy outlets for your stress. And don't drink. Drinking is setting you back every time you do it.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope the day went ok sadsadgirl

D
Old 03-09-2016, 02:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes it did Dee and I got myself to a meeting too, which I really enjoyed. Felt ropey when leaving work but the meeting sorted me out.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad the meeting helped sadsadgirl!
Old 03-09-2016, 02:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sadsadgirl I've worked right through my recovery and never considered anything else. I'm a better worker now too.

You can work successfully in recovery if you make food, sleep and exercise your priorities after not drinking. For the next few months everything else can wait unless you have a person dependent on you.

Structure your working week and weekends to support your recovery. Don't do things that don't help your recovery, emphasise the things (and people) who do.

Decide what you are going to eat during the week, pack lunches that will support your health, get adequate rest. Walk or do whatever exercise you enjoy.

This can be your best time ever and I hope it is for you.