Notices

Heroin and Prescription Drug Epidemic

Old 03-07-2016, 10:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Heroin and Prescription Drug Epidemic

The Winter issue of The American Scholar, the Phi Beta Kappa publication, which I encountered yesterday in my doctor's waiting room, has a fine lead article on exploding heroin and prescription drug use and interestingly Middlesex County, which includes Cambridge, Massachusetts, is reported to have the highest overdose rate in the state. Boston sought to deal with some of these problems by transferring addicts to rural areas, like Cape Cod, but this has only created similar problems for those places. Some law enforcement officials have attempted to restrict prosecution to drug dealers, treating users more as a health matter, helping them to find treatment. The reality of course is that many users become dealers to support their habit.

W.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks W
Old 03-08-2016, 04:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Saddened, but not surprised. I live in the Midwest, work in a courthouse and 85% of our dockets are drug related offenses... And I see it affect EVERY kind of person. All colors, income level, education. So scary!!!

I've been telling my daughter: no alcohol, no cigarettes, no drugs. I'm trying to be honest keeping it age appropriate. I hope she grows up being aware of all these problems... So scary for the future...
Old 03-08-2016, 05:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
nmd

Sadly it has turned into an epidemic of deaths where I live. Dealers have been substituting or mixing herion with fentanyl and we have an epidemic of overdoses. So many the county can't keep up with autopsy tests.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...demic-20160124

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...-days-20160209

I don't know, is the answer to legalize everything to eliminate the black market and tainted drugs, or do we go in the other direction and throw the CEOs of drug companies into jail?