Notices

want to go out on LGBT scene

Old 03-07-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Earth Child

want to go out on LGBT scene

Tonight at an LGBT Drop in where there is no drink or drugs people started talking about which bar they go to
Iv not been on the LGBT scene for a while since i married my husband its been more than 10 years and i Started thinking about going out on the scene asking my husband if we could go out once a month
I have problems with drink and drugs to the point where i was having blackouts
Now am thinking one drink will not hurt My husband shot that idea out of my head So NO DRINK OR DRUGS feel left out and upset
I want to go to the scene but i cant if i have a drink and drugs problem
miss the good time but most of it was me Drinking myself to oblivion and having to deal with the after effects
I miss it so much but maybe that is an excuse
my husband says av got to be able to be around people who drink maybe this is a bad idea
Old 03-07-2016, 01:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, I am sorry you are suffering. I would imagine that in a large city you have a lot of options though, not just drink and drugs. I recall a friend, a lesbian woman, married in NYC, both sober women (my friend from alcohol and cocaine 9 years sober, her wife alcohol, cocaine and crack, 10 years sober) asked on Facebook about plans for new year's eve. She posted "Any friends of Bill parties happening tonight?" and she got a ton of replies for various sober events in the area that were sober and also LGBT friendly. A TON! I imagine that if you and your husband search more specifically you can find some LGBT yet sober events in Edinburgh. If not, you can find either sober events, which would be fun for you with a mixed crowd, of LGBT events, with maybe folks drinking or drugging, but you don't have to partake in that. You are sober now, you don't drink/drug. It doesn't mean you can't have friends.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I live in a liberal college town and I have the same issue when I go to lgbqt events, even if it's a dry event there always seems to be an after party. Luckily I am not the only sober person there but we are the minority in those groups. I just try to go to the events and leave early, not necessarily because of temptation but because it isn't that much fun to watch people get so hammered.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Have you considered maybe meetup.com?
You could start a LGBT sober event there. I bet you are not the only person in your area who is having trouble finding such a setting, why not take the lead?