Notices

New to recovery

Old 03-06-2016, 05:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to recovery

Hello, I am 48 years old and have had an opiate addiction for 5 years. I am now in recovery and thought I was doing so well until my husband of 30 years left me. I am having an extremely hard time with this especially now that I am forced to feel the emotions that I always pushed down with pills before. I am on such a roller-coaster right now and almost feel "bi-polar". As I said, I am very new to recovery and I know without a doubt that if I slip I will end up dead because I can't go through getting clean again. I am sure that many of you have dealt with many scary situations after recovery and am hoping to get some advice on staying clean while going through a life changing event. I thank you all in advance for any help.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Jennifers, welcome. I'm sorry for your loss. You'll find lots of support here -- keep reading and posting. We're here for you.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Jennifers - I'm happy you found us.

Alcohol was always my 'go to' for coping. If we're honest, we have to admit it does nothing to actually help us. We just get numb. A temporary dulling of the senses - then we pay for it with anxiety and regret. I hope you'll stay with us and post often. It helps to share what you're going through with people who understand.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sorry for what brings you here, but want to welcome you to the family. I hope you can benefit from the awesome support here.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jennifer, I'm sorry about your marriage breaking up and I am sure it's a very stressful time for you. I did go through a very difficult situation when I was in early recovery - my 19 yr old daughter was stalked by a stranger for a period of about 6 months and her life was in danger. What gave me strength was knowing that if I could get through this, everything else would be easy. And, I did get through it and it did give me a confidence that I hadn't had. You can and will get through this and you will find your way and you will be better and stronger.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad you are here Jennifer....you will find much support & encouragement here & know that you are not alone in this! Be kind to yourself, especially in these early days, rest, eat healthy, drink lots of water & take it easy on yourself.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much. I have always been a pretty private person but have found through sharing with other addicts helps so much to get through each minute sober. I am having such a hard time now with the shame and guilt that comes with this terrible disease and I am so thankful I found you guys. I am quite positive I will be bugging you guys very often. Recovery from this is the hardest thing I have ever done and I am trying very hard to stay clean during this ordeal. I really appreciate you having such kind hearts to uplift a complete stranger!
Old 03-06-2016, 09:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Jennifer
Old 03-07-2016, 04:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome