SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   It begins for real this time (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/386334-begins-real-time.html)

ijustwantaname 03-06-2016 04:39 PM

It begins for real this time

Hi all

I am one of those people who can go a week without a drink, but once I get started, there's no stopping very soon.

I am a lot better behaved than I was 5-6 years ago, but still drinking far too much. Most of the time, I drink every 2-3 days, a minimum of 3-4 glasses of wine or 3-4 stubbies of beer, but just as often the whole wine bottle, or the whole 6 pack of beer. As a very small-built person with existing chronic health issues, this is a lot for me.

Anyway, I said last week that I would go "back on the wagon" as of today. So here I am.

I'm from Australia, one of those countries infamous for its drinking habits.

Grendhar 03-06-2016 04:42 PM

Welcome to SoberRecovery.

Anna 03-06-2016 04:55 PM

I'm glad you found us. Welcome!

SoberLeigh 03-06-2016 04:58 PM

Welcome to SR, ijustwantaname.

I hope that the support, understanding and encouragement you find here will help you achieve lasting sobriety and recovery.

Glad you found us.

maverickspoint 03-06-2016 05:08 PM

Hey, my drinking habits sound very similar to yours. They were a lot worse in the past but ended up that way. I know this time around I'm done and the reason for that was that I finally admitted I can't and never will be able to moderate. I'm only 32 days in this time around but man it feels good to know it's finally over. You can do this, it is SO worth it,

least 03-06-2016 05:20 PM

Welcome to the family. :) The support here has helped me stay sober over six years now. I hope we can do the same for you. :hug:

Hevyn 03-06-2016 05:25 PM

Welcome, ijustwantaname. It's good to be able to talk things over here. We all know what you're going through.

I once drank like you - but because I did nothing about it, I ended up an every day drinker. As you've probably heard, it is a 'progressive disease'. You could grow dependent on it. I always thought willpower would work, but drinking took me down despite my best attempts at controlling it. Glad you are here!

ijustwantaname 03-06-2016 06:23 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm actually surprised to find it's very difficult to use words like "sobriety" - in fact right there is about the second time ever that I have typed it. Because I have never considered myself "alcoholic", therefore it doesn't seem right to refer to my "sobriety".

But the truth is that a drinking problem is a drinking problem. There is perhaps no difference at all, and I may well fit the criteria for an alcoholic.

And once I put that word down for the first time, a little earlier today, it suddenly felt better, even if I had to force my fingers to actually type it out the first time.... but it seems that once you do that, it suddenly becomes empowering to say it/type it!

So here it is:
Sobriety.
Sobriety!!
Sobriety!!!

Hevyn 03-06-2016 06:28 PM

I agree. :) You're doing this.

ijustwantaname 03-06-2016 08:39 PM

I still can't say it out loud. Oh well, baby steps.

DuhDave 03-06-2016 08:54 PM

Well then, just say I'am gonna stay ...(wait for it)...SOBER for the rest of my life !

Come, embark on your Sober journey with us !

Welcome !

DD

Delilah1 03-06-2016 09:35 PM

Welcome to SR!! Glad you found us!

❤️Delilah

Soberwolf 03-07-2016 04:45 AM

Welcome

Dharma33 03-07-2016 05:24 AM

Hi, IJust-

I'm glad you are here with us!

Once I came to terms with the fact that I can never drink moderately, and took alcohol off of the table completely, life became a lot easier. I'm hoping you will find that, too! :welcome

ijustwantaname 03-07-2016 07:52 PM

Thanks again everyone.