Notices

Prozac...

Old 03-05-2016, 04:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Prozac...

Hello again,

I'm just done my 6th meeting (I know it's not many...)

I was just wondering has anyone ever taken this? (Prozac (In the US - it has a different name in the UK - Fluoxetine).

I'm off to pick it up now, but prior to taking the first dose was wanting to (hopefully) get an idea of what to expect. In terms of both side effects, and results from the medication.

Any advice would be very much appreciated, thanks!

Cassie x
Old 03-05-2016, 04:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I never have... but my Lady has just begun taking it a couple of months ago.

Her GP started her on 5mg and she has gradually ramped up to 20mg.

I'm not here to offer advice or medical expertise, but I can relate my own experience of being a supportive partner to someone going onto Prozac.

She has found a great deal of relief from negative, and even self-destructive / self-harming thoughts. She has found an ability to laugh again, and a tolerance for things that just a couple months ago would have frustrated her greatly.

Side effects - she's noticed a heavy tiredness in the mid afternoon, and some difficulties getting to sleep at night. At times she's felt a little "revved up" which she noticed is a little odd, but not bad, per se. She has found that a lot of aches and pains she previously experienced have gone away.... chalking that up to a belief that many of those were a result of her depression and seretonin levels.

She is finding herself way less irritable, and she feels in general a lot BETTER than she did when she was struggling to get through every day, plagued by awful thoughts and constantly frustrated and in pain.

Good luck on your journey with this, I hope that it helps... and just be fully open and honest with your GP.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Cassie: I take fluoxetine. Have for years. I feel much better on it. I take it for anxiety and it really takes the edge off my endless worrying. And not just regular worry-- prior to fluox my mind would make lists all day long of things I didn't complete or do well, my brain would replay conversations all day and I would worry if I said something wrong. Then at bedtime, my brain went into overdrive and made lists of everything I ever did wrong or could have done better. And I am talking about dumb stuff like "I should have practiced the piano more when I was 9". I still have those thoughts but they are quieter and in the background.
Ha! Probably more than you needed to hear--sorry. But I do not have any negative side effects.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've taken it for about 10 year and love it.
I'm a much easier person to live with now. My husband would probably agree!
Old 03-05-2016, 07:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't take prozac but I do take an SSRI and I will share my experience. First, I will say it has been a life-saver for me. My wife won't let me stop taking it. I don't blame her.

Anyway, the first week is difficult, you know something is going on, and I felt "off" for about 6-8 days. But then as my body adjusted, it had the desired effect. For me its not a happy pill, but rather a medication that keeps me from becoming unhinged at stupid little things.