Notices

Tired

Old 03-04-2016, 10:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tired

I am not a heavy drinker, but even "moderate" drinking seems to affect me. Also, it's expemsive and time consuming. Why would an average of 1 to 3 drinks daily make me feel so depressed, negative and anxious? I drank heavily for a few years as a young person, then stopped then abstained for 25 years when married to a recovering alclcoholic. Now, after a few years of being single, I find I can't enjoy drinking either. So I stopped again, but I am confused. I wonder if all the support I gave my ex rubbed off on me. Or maybe I really didn't want to drink either and abstained through his sobriety
Any ideas? I think maybe I am scared of getting out of control drunk and the battle to be moderate is just wearing me down.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I tried to moderate my drinking but it never worked, I always ended up drinking too much. Now that I've gotten sober for good, I wake up feeling good and ready for the day. Quite a change from how I used to wake up with a hangover and hating myself.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Some people are super sensitive to alcohol. I'm that way....I'd feel even half a bottle of wine the next day, and any more than that and I would be hungover. But because I never drank in huge amounts and could always stop, I wasted a lot of years because I could tell myself I didn't fit the "problem" definition.

But alcohol made me depressed, cranky, and negative. That's a problem!

Try putting it down. You'll be amazed at the difference.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Alcohol is a depressant and can cause anxiety. It could be why you are experiencing negative emotions. And, yes, trying to moderate is exhausting.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome debaz99

Moderation was a battle for me too - one I frequently lost.

Why not continue not drinking at all for a goodly period of time, say, 3months and seeing how you feel?

You may find you enjoy a sober life

D
Old 03-04-2016, 03:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hi debaz I agree maybe try cutting it out altogether and see how it goes. It doesn't sound like alcohol is doing you any good.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ideas?

Well.... if moderating is a 'battle' and you're not enjoying drinking anyway, then it sounds like you'd be hard-pressed to find any genuine reason to keep drinking in your life.

So, my idea would be this; embrace sobriety and choose to experience the joy of life without poisoning yourself.

Old 03-04-2016, 04:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by debaz99 View Post
I am not a heavy drinker, but even "moderate" drinking seems to affect me. Also, it's expemsive and time consuming. Why would an average of 1 to 3 drinks daily make me feel so depressed, negative and anxious? I drank heavily for a few years as a young person, then stopped then abstained for 25 years when married to a recovering alclcoholic. Now, after a few years of being single, I find I can't enjoy drinking either. So I stopped again, but I am confused. I wonder if all the support I gave my ex rubbed off on me. Or maybe I really didn't want to drink either and abstained through his sobriety
Any ideas? I think maybe I am scared of getting out of control drunk and the battle to be moderate is just wearing me down.

Pro's
Maybe I really didn't want to drink

Good!

Con's;
I find I can't enjoy drinking
1 to 3 drinks daily make me feel so depressed, negative and anxious
it's expensive and time consuming.
maybe I am scared of getting out of control drunk
the battle to be moderate is just wearing me down.

Seems like you've got it figured out - drinking has many negative consequences so why even debate?

Glad you joined us, Welcome!