SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Tired (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/386189-tired.html)

debaz99 03-04-2016 10:20 AM

Tired

I am not a heavy drinker, but even "moderate" drinking seems to affect me. Also, it's expemsive and time consuming. Why would an average of 1 to 3 drinks daily make me feel so depressed, negative and anxious? I drank heavily for a few years as a young person, then stopped then abstained for 25 years when married to a recovering alclcoholic. Now, after a few years of being single, I find I can't enjoy drinking either. So I stopped again, but I am confused. I wonder if all the support I gave my ex rubbed off on me. Or maybe I really didn't want to drink either and abstained through his sobriety
Any ideas? I think maybe I am scared of getting out of control drunk and the battle to be moderate is just wearing me down.

least 03-04-2016 10:24 AM

Welcome to the family. :) I tried to moderate my drinking but it never worked, I always ended up drinking too much. Now that I've gotten sober for good, I wake up feeling good and ready for the day. Quite a change from how I used to wake up with a hangover and hating myself. :(

Ariesagain 03-04-2016 01:17 PM

Some people are super sensitive to alcohol. I'm that way....I'd feel even half a bottle of wine the next day, and any more than that and I would be hungover. But because I never drank in huge amounts and could always stop, I wasted a lot of years because I could tell myself I didn't fit the "problem" definition.

But alcohol made me depressed, cranky, and negative. That's a problem!

Try putting it down. You'll be amazed at the difference.

Anna 03-04-2016 01:30 PM

Alcohol is a depressant and can cause anxiety. It could be why you are experiencing negative emotions. And, yes, trying to moderate is exhausting.

Dee74 03-04-2016 02:48 PM

Welcome debaz99 :)

Moderation was a battle for me too - one I frequently lost.

Why not continue not drinking at all for a goodly period of time, say, 3months and seeing how you feel?

You may find you enjoy a sober life :)

D

mns1 03-04-2016 03:14 PM

Hi debaz I agree maybe try cutting it out altogether and see how it goes. It doesn't sound like alcohol is doing you any good.

FreeOwl 03-04-2016 04:13 PM

Ideas?

Well.... if moderating is a 'battle' and you're not enjoying drinking anyway, then it sounds like you'd be hard-pressed to find any genuine reason to keep drinking in your life.

So, my idea would be this; embrace sobriety and choose to experience the joy of life without poisoning yourself.

:grouphug:

Fly N Buy 03-04-2016 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by debaz99 (Post 5831970)
I am not a heavy drinker, but even "moderate" drinking seems to affect me. Also, it's expemsive and time consuming. Why would an average of 1 to 3 drinks daily make me feel so depressed, negative and anxious? I drank heavily for a few years as a young person, then stopped then abstained for 25 years when married to a recovering alclcoholic. Now, after a few years of being single, I find I can't enjoy drinking either. So I stopped again, but I am confused. I wonder if all the support I gave my ex rubbed off on me. Or maybe I really didn't want to drink either and abstained through his sobriety
Any ideas? I think maybe I am scared of getting out of control drunk and the battle to be moderate is just wearing me down.

Pro's
Maybe I really didn't want to drink

Good!

Con's;
I find I can't enjoy drinking
1 to 3 drinks daily make me feel so depressed, negative and anxious
it's expensive and time consuming.
maybe I am scared of getting out of control drunk
the battle to be moderate is just wearing me down.

Seems like you've got it figured out - drinking has many negative consequences so why even debate?

Glad you joined us, Welcome! :c011: