Notices

Blood pressure

Old 03-04-2016, 09:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Blood pressure

I have 4 workout sessions under my belt, I've decided to go with a 4 on 1 off program. So today is a day off. I am experiencing all of the usual stuff. Stiff and sore, increased appetite and thirst, sleep pattern has changed slightly. I feel like my body is trying to flush all the pollution that has accumulated over the months.

The one oddity is that when I sit for a length of time and get up, I get very dizzy. I am on medication for high blood pressure. I am starting to wonder if the combination of no alcohol, exercise and blood pressure medication is lowering my blood pressure too much. Maybe I naturally don't have high blood pressure and it was all alcohol induced. I have a BP cuff here at the house, so I think I will monitor it daily for awhile to see what my baseline is, and go from there.

FYI for newcomers, I will just share this. When I was binge drinking on the weekends, my BP after the weekend was dangerously high, even on medication. I believe around 168/114 regularly. I did not drink during the week and by Tuesday evening it would be 118/88. So, you can use that information however you see fit.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Nature Lover & Plantoholic

I currently have high BP, and never previously had a problem. It's the alcohol*. It was very difficult, but I admitted to my doctor this week that I'm in recovery. It was do that, or get put on BP meds.

I monitor my BP at home, and keep a log. I suggest you do the same, noting things like exercise, etc. Up to you if you tell your doc, but mine was extremely understanding, and very proud of me for admitting the problem.

*It's actually how I found this site, by Googling high BP and alcohol.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Do you smoke?

That had detrimental and varying effects on my BP till I quit a year ago.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great going with the workouts! And great that you feel that it's good for your body! You know, if you don't feel sore after working out you didn't do it right.

Regarding your dizziness, blood-pressure and everything related to that, I think you should really see your doctor for that. He/she really is the only one qualified to deal with that.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fly N Buy View Post
Do you smoke?

That had detrimental and varying effects on my BP till I quit a year ago.
I don't.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Thomas, I don't remember how far into recovery you are, but I wanted to relate to you my experience and thoughts. I am on a similar exercise plan. My second week into being sober, I found myself getting dizzy a lot too. I also dealt with extreme thirst for the first two weeks. My weight had plateaued around the time I quit then it started coming off very fast. I wonder if it's possible electrolyte imbalances play a role in the dizzyness. I have dealt with dizzyness through weight loss in the past. The only time I'm aware of having extremely high BP was when I was detoxing. I'd see those lovely high numbers like yours for about 5 days.

I'd go see the doc and in meantime make sure you are replenishing your electrolytes and fueling your body with healthy carbs.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My BP was 170/118 when I was admitted to the hospital to detox. I was bleeding out of my nose. I was on a high dose of a blood pressure medication at the time. Who knew my high BP was due to my drinking?! Just had a physical in February. BP was 118/78. No medication. Amazing.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hang in there

Hi I've experienced a similar feeling and think it is due to all the sugar in alcohol and your liver trying to metabolize it and the new you. Take it slow, even with working out. Don't forget the inner stress of your body trying to clean itself. Give it a chance to rest and still workout. Easy on the cardio. Walking is still the best thing going. Easy on the joints and the fresh doesn't hurt. Take care
Old 03-04-2016, 10:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great job on working out. After being on BP meds for years I was finally able to get the green light from my Dr to stop after about 6 months of not drinking. Years of high blood pressure from drinking and now normal. I would definitely see your doctor before stopping your BP medicine on your own.

Another motivating factor to not drink today!

Great job Jeff.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

My BP is back down to 116/70 now that I'm past a week of sobriety. And that's after three cups of coffee. I am hoping that after a few more weeks, I can go back to my doctor and try to lower the dosage of my blood pressure medication. Once the sleep pattern gets normalized, the blood pressure normalizes way faster. Also, besides cutting out the alcohol, it usually leads to cutting out the junk food, which means having more control over only consuming quality sea salt instead of nasty preservatives.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Jeff my formerly high bp is now pretty consistently 110/70, I'm on a fraction of the medication I took.

It'd be worth seeing your doctor to have a sitting & standing bp reading done, you've been through a lot of physical changes over the last few months. It's possible that the dizziness is caused by something else unrelated to bp, do have it checked out.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's worth seeing your Dr too Jeff. Get a professional opinion

D
Old 03-04-2016, 04:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

One of the possible side effects of Hb meds is dizziness- particularly if you're new to it. Of course, consulting with the doctor is always a good idea.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah I'm still on meds but my BP is now consistently in the normal range. I changed meds like 4 times because various of side effects. One was dizziness but for the life of me I can't remember what it's called.
Go to the doc, he can probably adjust or change your meds now that your not drinking or find the root cause of your problem. I was on several meds for various things while drinking. Now the BP med is the last one.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I used to get real light-headed during and after a workout. I ended up passing out in a gym. Was taken to the ER. The doctor read me the riot act about dehydration and the need to drink plenty of water. I also drink lots of coffee which doesn't help. So now I drink a lot of water. If I begin to feel dizzy, I drink more water and the problem goes away. That worked for me, but as others have said, best to check with your doctor. Be careful!! John
Old 03-04-2016, 06:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Should also mention. If your severely dehydrated, your body begins to heat up, which causes your blood pressure to rise. That was the connection I was talking about. John
Old 03-05-2016, 02:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes, I think it's pretty sensible advice for anyone on medication who makes a big lifestyle change to check with their doctor about how it could impact on what they're taking. The combination of stopping drinking, weight loss and exercise is bound to impact on your BP. In what should be a good way