SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New to forum but not new to trying to stay clean... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/386123-new-forum-but-not-new-trying-stay-clean.html)

Lbs 03-03-2016 10:42 AM

New to forum but not new to trying to stay clean...

Hello
I am opiate addict, and have been for almost ten years, with a lot of breaks but none very long. I am so sad about how much time and money I have waisted, but know that I have to stay positive and live for today. I just have tried so many times to stop and feel like I might never succeed.

Today is day 3 of no pills and I feel ok. On my heaviest days I would take 7-8 roxie's or 4-5 OP 80's. I am using subs to get me through these first days, and am wondering if I should stay on them longer, since I never seem to last that long. I have access to them because my friend is in a program and gets more than she needs. I am scared to become addicted to them, because I have heard the withdraw is even worse.

I know that I want it this time.. I blocked all the numbers that I had to score and deleted them. This a huge step for me.. I of course know I could score if I really wanted to, but at least it's not as easy as just picking up the phone.

I really want to find someone to talk to that has been off pills for a long time, someone to show me it can be done.. It seems like everyone I know always relapse's as do I and I am looking for some inspiration.

Thanks

doggonecarl 03-03-2016 11:19 AM

Welcome to Sober Recovery.

Originally Posted by Lbs (Post 5830132)
I really want to find someone to talk to that has been off pills for a long time, someone to show me it can be done..

Can you get to a Narcotics Anonymous (NA) meeting?

IvanMike 03-03-2016 11:20 AM

I've been off pills for a while. Not sure if it qualifies as a long time, but my clean date in my profile is how long I've been off everything. Everything, meaning no suboxone, methadone, tramadol, nothing. It can be done.

Narcotics Anonymous was the only way I stayed clean.

least 03-03-2016 12:30 PM

Welcome to the family. :) I know nothing of pills, but would suggest you go to some NA meetings to meet people who have gotten clean from opiates. :hug:

Dee74 03-03-2016 01:41 PM

Hi and welcome lbs :)

I have no experience to share but others will. You also might like to check out our Substance Abuse forum as well :)

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D

saoutchik 03-03-2016 02:25 PM

Welcome to SR lbs, congratulations on 3 days

thomas11 03-03-2016 02:38 PM

Hi Lbs, I will share what I can. My 72 father who had a successful career, got addicted to oxycodone. Never saw him get addicted to any "drugs" in his life. He was an athlete when he was younger, hated potheads and hippies etc... . But he fell in love with oxycodone, made him feel like he had gone to heaven. He also exhibited poor discipline in taking them. He had them prescribed for legitimate purposes but he liked how they made him feel...high. He's finally off it, but it was pretty hard for him. He tapered and when he finally quit he said it wasn't too bad.
I myself have been taking oxycodone for 8 months now. I am prescribed 60 mg per day, I have weened myself down to about 25mgs per day with no ill effects other than a couple nights of restless sleep and one or two bouts of diarrhea (sorry, but the truth). I've been through moderate alcohol withdrawal, and if I had to compare the two, the alcohol withdrawal is 10X worse. Again, strictly speaking for myself. I'm hoping to be completely off oxycodone in the next 45 days. Just wanted to share what I could.

Plure 03-03-2016 03:35 PM

Welcome! A lot of caring people here, keep us updated on your progress.

Hevyn 03-03-2016 03:42 PM

We're glad to have you with us, Lbs. You sound ready to do this.