Notices

Ground Zero

Old 03-03-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ground Zero

New Years Eve, after 7 months of sobriety, I thought I could have one drink. Well, it is has been 3 months of "experimentation". I am not a normal drinker, nor will I ever be. Today is my last day. I have to live this life of sobriety not only just for myself but for my children as well.

I was triggered by a post by my nephew which was fueled by my sister. It was a post of "pretending to be sober even when not". I decided if no one believed I was sober what was the point of being sober?

I know that alcohol is my enemy, there is no denying it anymore. I only have one life to live so why should I do so drunk, and torn up about being drunk?

7 months was great, my chronic depression was managed, kids in school everyday. Now, here I am, 0 days in and pissing out my ass. I will try to go easy on myself as I nurse myself back to health. Any tips on staying away from the liquor store in the meantime?
Old 03-03-2016, 08:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Carol D used to say that you'll stay sober when you want to be sober more than you want to drink. I have found that to be true for me.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I'm glad you're ready to live a sober life again. (By the way, you might want to stay away from that nephew for awhile).

I did simple things like avoiding the beer and wine aisle in the supermarket, just not looking at it. You could try driving home a different way to avoid the liquor store. You had seven months of sobriety so you know how to do it and you know the benefits. I think you will be fine!
Old 03-03-2016, 08:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

sometimes, the lesson we need is the lesson we deal ourselves through our own stubbornness....

welcome back.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

interrupted,
it's good you now know. the experiment paid off in conclusive results.

staying away from the liquor store?
planning helped me do that. and in fact one simple thing was to actually change my route home so i wouldn't go past the three stores on the main route home.

look around on SR more and you'll find all kinds of threads which speak of planning. here are a couple:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ry-plans.html?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 03-03-2016, 09:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by interruptedgirl View Post
I was triggered by a post by my nephew which was fueled by my sister. It was a post of "pretending to be sober even when not". I decided if no one believed I was sober what was the point of being sober?
So is this what made you pick up that first drink New Year's Eve?

We need to be sober for ourselves first and foremost or it will never stick.

Welcome back.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back interruptedgirl

I had to face some suspicion and mistrust too...to be fair tho I'd lied before about not drinking when I plainly was.

The really important thing in recovery is that you know you're sober - what other people think is their business.

Stay sober for good and most people will react positively to that change

D