Notices

how to start

Old 03-03-2016, 07:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile how to start

Hello all,

My nightly drinking is a problem. I'm worried for my health and my job and recently I've really wanted to stop. For a few years I've thought it was no big deal and honestly (and I know this may come off as a lie to myself) I don't think I have a drinking problem. I feel pretty confident that I can cut the drinking down to only weekends and I would have done this if weren't for one thing; I'm a hypochondriac.

I'm female, 27 and not the picture of health. I've recently had a checkup and blood work and nothing came up except blood pressure on the high side. I'm overweight and don't eat well, something I think will be easier to control once I'm not drinking nightly. I have lost a significant amount of weight in the past, it is something I can do but unfortunately my weight has gone back up, so there's that concern about weight fluctuation and how that hurts my health.

So really I came here to ask; how concerned do I have to be about serious side effects of stopping to drink nightly?

I drink around 10 ounces nightly. For the longest time it was spiced rum with diet pepsi but lately I've been doing vodka, water and those drink flavoring (like Mio).

My doctor suggested to cut off an ounce or two (nightly) per week. But he admitted he doesn't know much about this stuff.

I'm new to all this, this post is really my start. Anyone who can point me in a direction is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I would say that you should follow your doctor's advice. Detoxing can adversely affect your health.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope the support you'll find here can help you get sober for good.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Welcome to SR. If you can taper off like your Dr. suggests. It might be less painful than going cold turkey. See how you feel. I suggest asking your Dr. about detox programs. (Although you said he did not know much about it) Maybe he can refer you to someone who does.They can get you started on your plan for sobriety once you choose to quit alcohol entirely. You have to choose to quit drinking. We are here for support. CR
Old 03-03-2016, 08:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, first I would start with talking to your doctor followed by addiction services, I will you are in winterpeg and I believe they have programs similar to ours in Nova Scotia.

I read a disturbing article in the news yesterday from Halifax ER doctor, the livers of youth coming in from the age of 25 to 35 are what they are used to seeing in patients 50+, pretty scary.

At your age I was drinking heavy as well, unfortunately it took two highly successful careers and the shakes so bad I could not hold a pencil in my hand for me to admit to myself I had a problem which to me is the most important step, then reach out for help and find what works for you and keep you sober.

I am a believer (at 53) the majority of us have a reason we started and why we abuse alcohol and the reasons can be all over the map, some genetic and most of the people I have spoken with over the years in either AA or Detox, a mental health issue that was never dealt with.

It's not easy and what is a surprise to me in my case, I knew I had a problem in the mid 1990's and I asked for help, no one ever really sat me down and asked about my history (personal) until about 3 years ago, was told I had PTSD which I could relate to because I would often drink to bury these thoughts, it wasn't until I met my current GF 8 months ago and very recently we started taking a hard look at my mental health (she is a Dr. in Physiology) she had been watching these mood swings I can sometimes have, from over the top happy/talkative to complete silence. Long story short it seems I am bi polar which triggers the PTSD and then I drink to forget.....It's really a shame in my case it took 20 years of hell in the bottle to finally understand what was going on.

When I am what I call the normal Andrew which is most of the time I never think of drinking, then I get these emotional high's that are off the charts followed by a crash, it's when I crash I get into trouble.

Anyhow sorry for the long post, welcome and stay close.

Andrew
Old 03-03-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I drank a heck of a lot more than 10 ounces nightly and I didn't have any significant physical problems getting sober. My issues were psychological / emotional.

There was a lot of night sweats and difficulty getting good sleep, but headaches and shakes and hallucinations and all the rest of the more serious withdrawal symptoms were not an issue.

For me, 'how to get started' started with a firm and honest CHOICE:

I had to CHOOSE to embrace sobriety.

Trying to choose "not to drink" never worked for me.

Until I chose to EMBRACE SOBRIETY, it was all short fits of half-hearted white-knuckling that only led back to ever-deeper pits of alcoholic despair.

CHOOSING TO EMBRACE SOBRIETY - then following that choice up immediately with actions and changes to my life were what did it for me.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you do what your dr suggested. I don't think that cutting back and weaning off alcohol works for alcoholics and simply stopping is actually easier. But, if your dr said this, then you should go by his word or see another dr.

I am glad that you've decided to stop drinking and we're here to offer support.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mydeartora View Post
My doctor suggested to cut off an ounce or two (nightly) per week. But he admitted he doesn't know much about this stuff.
My concern with following your doctor's suggestion;

1 - most people tend to find 'weaning' leads back to bingeing
2 - A doctor who says he "doesn't know much about this stuff' might be the wrong doctor to seek recovery guidance from.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

wow, thanks for the help! I'm going to try a local addictions help line today I think.

thanks for making me feel welcome, its comforting knowing that this forum is available.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome mydeartora

I'd be tempted to get a second opinion, simply because your guy has admitted it's not his area and because I personally never found tapering to be that effective....but of course it's up to you

D
Old 03-03-2016, 02:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

HI mydeartora, for what its worth, I've drank daily, and I've limited myself to weekends only. The weekend warrior drinking I found to be much harder on me physically (and mentally). Your body is in a constant state of change. Stopping altogether is much easier. Wish you the best.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the group! A lot of good experience and advice here, plus kind folks to talk to.

I went cold turkey back in 2014 when I was drinking heavily and it was rough; this last time around I wasn't drinking as much and more or less tapered down. I've read alcohol leaves your body quickly since its water based and that can set up a situation where you can have uncomfortable WD symptoms if abruptly stopped.

Your doctor's advice sounds reasonable although definitely consider other options like an addiction line.

Hang in there!
Old 03-03-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Mydear - we are so happy you found us. It's great to talk things over with those who understand.