Old 03-03-2016, 12:37 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you Carlotta I will have a look. ☺️
Old 03-03-2016, 12:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you soberwolfe!
Old 03-03-2016, 04:44 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Anxiety has been rising all day as thoughts about things I need to change about my life pop into my head, and how I will adjust to those changes without missing certain aspects of my lifestyle so far. I keep thinking of parties, birthdays, Christmas. There's a wretched little voice in my head saying "You cant do that". I actually have no idea how to do those things without drink. But then I've not known how to get through a day without it for too long.

I will today though, I'll get through today.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:20 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Congrats Mrskw on day 1 !

Don't worry about the Holidays, birthdays etc now. You have time......just get through the coming days one day at a time.
The voice inside you is your AV begging you to take a drink and stop this "nonsense"! Don't listen!

Holidays are easily coped with sober.....It can be done, and is actually very enjoyable....

Good luck, stay strong!
Old 03-03-2016, 05:40 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank you newpage119! I had a bad habit of getting way ahead myself!

Thank you so much for the reassurance, these events should be something to look forward to and enjoy with a clear mind and be able to remember every moment. I really appreciate your response and best wishes to you!
Old 03-03-2016, 05:45 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrskw View Post
Anxiety has been rising all day as thoughts about things I need to change about my life pop into my head, and how I will adjust to those changes without missing certain aspects of my lifestyle so far. I keep thinking of parties, birthdays, Christmas. There's a wretched little voice in my head saying "You cant do that". I actually have no idea how to do those things without drink. But then I've not known how to get through a day without it for too long. I will today though, I'll get through today.
In my experience holidays, Christmas etc. are so much BETTER when sober. Now parties, that depends. After I dried out I realized a lot of parties are just excuses for people to drink and get drunk. I don't drink or like drunks so I just stay away from parties like that. Nothing for me there.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:54 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thank you OneIsTooMuch. I can imagine Christmas is fantastic, I don't remember a big chunk of last year's. I agree with you on the party front, and also just going for drinks with friends I think is something I won't be able to do.
Good for you for not putting yourself in those kind of situations!
Old 03-03-2016, 06:10 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Welcome Mrskw. As you can tell from the posts above you will find lots of support on SR. You should also join the March class, there are other members who have decided to stop/stop again this month.

Glad you are here!
Old 03-03-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thank you Delilah! I have hopped onto the March class. I only joined this morning and the support already is absolutely amazing, and I hope to offer others the same!

thank you I'm SO happy to be here!
Old 03-03-2016, 06:18 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Welcome, you are doing something great by getting sober. I took me many failures to reach to the point we're I'm at right now and it has not been a easy journey but definitely worth it. Work on a recovery plan and see what works for you.

What's working for me is change. I had to change my lifestyle and implement new activities such as working out, reading, mediating and most important, this forum. I posted non stop the first 2 months and tried to contribute as much as possible. I also cut out many friends from my life.

This might not work for you but it's working for me. Find a plan and work it.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:13 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thank you GhostFace; I know it will be worth it and congratulations on your sobriety.

Everything you have mentioned sounds like very good recovery tools; I definitely think getting involved on SR could potentially be life saving me. I have tried many different things to get sober to no avail, but I think I have a chance here.

So glad to hear your changes are working for you, I will find a plan and rock it.
Thank you.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:01 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

You definitely have a chance there. It is a very supportive group of people, there is support 24/7 and we use and discuss a wide variety of tools, programs and techniques.
The most important thing is that you do not give up on yourself.
As far as the future goes, like the other says: try to stay in the present right now and not project or your AV (addictive voice we mention it quite a bit here) will run with it. You can always formulate a strategy when those come up (and ask us for feedback and suggestions)

Have a great sober day and welcome to the rest of your life
Old 03-03-2016, 08:08 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thank you Carlotta! Definitely need to start living in the now! I'm a natural worrier and I get myself worked up over things that most of the time never actually happen!

Thank you so much for the advice and the warm welcome it means the world!
Old 03-03-2016, 06:57 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

thank you so much thumpalumpacus. I believe we can do this.
Without that sort of faith, you might as well flush and be done.

You have to think you can do this. You have to have faith in yourself.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:01 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Anxiety has been rising all day as thoughts about things I need to change about my life pop into my head, and how I will adjust to those changes without missing certain aspects of my lifestyle so far. I keep thinking of parties, birthdays, Christmas. There's a wretched little voice in my head saying "You cant do that". I actually have no idea how to do those things without drink. But then I've not known how to get through a day without it for too long.

I will today though, I'll get through today.
Just focus on today, you can do this!
Old 03-03-2016, 07:08 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi mrskw. Congrats for coming here. U r absolutely correct to just worry about 24 hours at a time. Small bites.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:21 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Welcome mrskw.....stick with us here and you will make it through. The beginning is tough, but we've all been through it and we are here to give you a helping hand. It gets easier, for sure.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:49 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

All great things have to begin somewhere. Let this be your beginning.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:06 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

How're you doing, Mrskw? Everything all right?
Old 03-04-2016, 11:35 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lolipa View Post
Hi mrskw. Congrats for coming here. U r absolutely correct to just worry about 24 hours at a time. Small bites.
thank you so much, definitely thinking one day at a time at the moment.