Notices

Going into detox tomorrow. Excited and nervous

Old 03-02-2016, 10:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going into detox tomorrow. Excited and nervous

So.. I'm going into detox tomorrow in the Northern Virginia area tomorrow, I am a bit nervous, but I am very excited as well. It is voluntary. I know I can rock out the detox. But does anyone, especially those in the DC metro area, have any advice on what to do next? I am hoping to get a lot of information while in detox.

And... Hi to the community
Old 03-02-2016, 10:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Does anyone have any advice? I have found it VERY difficult to find knowledge. I have been drinking 16 beers a night for 3 years. And I want to kind of nip this bud. I am not sure what to do after detox. I would appreciate any information on what helped any of you. Right now, I am really just looking for information. 16 beers a night may seem low to some serious drinkers, but it is serious to me as it has just started to impact my work and family life since our recent big snowstorm here in the DC area. Please, I could use any advice.

I wanted to edit my post, but am too new.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

In a large metropolitan area, you will have a choice of AA or other recovery meetings to support your sobriety after detox. Ninety meetings in your first ninety days is recommended.

SoberRecovery is a fantastic source of information and inspiration. Read around and post often--it works if you work it!
Old 03-02-2016, 10:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Welcome to SR
My suggestions to you would be that you look for face 2 face support in your area. Look up to see if there are AA meetings or SMART etc... nearby.
When you leave detox, hit a meeting before you even go home.
Tell people at the meeting that you just left detox and could use some support. Some people will give you their numbers and give you some hints.
Also try to clean up your house before going to detox or if you live alone have a friend help you clean up and pick you up.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Once you get back, log into SR and join us at the 24 hours recovery connections where we commit not to drink or drug for that day
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...archid=6926074

Another thing which really helped me when I got back in recovery was to join the class of Jan 2013 where I was able to network with my peers who quit at the same time.
Here is the link to the class of March 2016. I hope you enjoy the ride, generally speaking the "Marchers" are a merry crew
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-one-6.html

You definitely can do it. We will be here to support you
Congratulations on making a very positive decision for yourself!
Old 03-02-2016, 10:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Cold, and Carlotta, I appreciate both your responses. I know I need to go to AA. I have anxiety as well, which scares me about going to AA. Not so much the AA, I know I am a competent person that can handle anything. But to be honest, I am not as scared about the detox as I am about staying sober after. AA is the biggest thing that can help me stay sober I think. But it gives me anxiety going there. Luckily, I have a very supportive family, my father will go with me if I want. And I think I will lean on him and other family/friends until I am comfortable. I can do this, I am excited about it, but obviously scared and nervous too. I had anxiety disorder before I discovered my alcoholism. I am 34, I want to be able to date, to socialize and such. Right now I can't. So... I'm excited, but still nervous. Although I did just talk with a friend who's been through the same detox program for oxycodone (and hasn't relapsed since I've known her), so I feel confident about detoxing. I just worry about the time after detox. :-/

And, what is SMART?
Old 03-02-2016, 10:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Hi there, welcome to the forum.

I've got a bud here who may be able to help you, I'll link him to this thread and perhaps he can give you some good words.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you, Thumpa I will obviously be gone for a little while in detox, but I just discovered this forum tonight and am really excited (for lack of a better word) about how much I think I can talk to others and be myself here and get real help and information. Information on getting sober seems very scarce, even here in the metro area of DC.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello,
I guess you are in detox now but will check in after you get done. I would think
the people running the detox will have some information about other programs that are available. I don't know what sort insurance you may have or not but there are
programs available to help you continue being sober that will provide education and discussions one on one and in groups. These sort programs can also be found free as well as at minimal cost.

I am in a 15 week group sort program and I check in here on the forum.
It is important to remain vigilant when getting sober and I have found talking to others in person a good means to keep the issue in the forefront and build strength.

Hope everything goes well for you.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I don't know if you are in detox yet.
As to your question about smart.

More info here.

Best wishes.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suavebum View Post
Thank you, Thumpa I will obviously be gone for a little while in detox, but I just discovered this forum tonight and am really excited (for lack of a better word) about how much I think I can talk to others and be myself here and get real help and information. Information on getting sober seems very scarce, even here in the metro area of DC.
Getting sober is hard, staying sober is harder. But the good people here will help you. Good job on going to detox.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you check in when you get back.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Originally Posted by suavebum View Post
Looking forward to your return, and you'll find plenty of support for your recovery here when you do.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Nature Lover & Plantoholic

suavebum, I also had a lot of anxiety about going to AA, and avoided it for months, though my counselors kept insisting I do it. I was in denial. Yesterday I went to my 3rd meeting, and I even shared! I gets easier each time. You don't have to say a word -- you can just say "pass". One woman told me it took her FIVE years to speak. Must be a world record, LOL.

You can do it! I recommend it. You won't regret it. I regret not going earlier!

Best to you in assisted detox -- probably much safer than going it solo.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good luck and see you after!
Take advantage and take in everything you can for your "recovery toolbox"

You can do it!
Old 03-08-2016, 02:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the helpful advice and support! I just got out of detox this morning and have been a bit anxious (I naturally have an anxiety disorder even before I started drinking). A bit anxious about going to my first AA meeting tonight.

They had a lot of AA meetings (about 2 a day) during my 5 day stay in detox and I gotta say, I think it's definitely the best thing I can do to stay sober. I am very blessed to have a supportive family and so for this first meeting my father is going to go with me to an open meeting. Tomorrow there is a closed meeting right down the street that I will go to on my own. Any tips on how to overcome the anxiety of going to a new meeting? Especially one outside of the detox "comfort zone?" I know I can do it, and I'll feel so good about doing it. I just have natural agoraphobia and fear of public speaking. I do hope that I do share, even if just to say "Hi, my name is John, I'm an alcoholic, and I just wanted to practice sharing. That's all. Thanks for letting me share."

I'll let you all know how it goes, and again, thanks for the support! I know this website will not be my main focus of recovery, AA will be, but I will definitely put this in my "recovery toolbox!"
Old 03-08-2016, 02:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

If you can, you should look into counseling. It can be very helpful and help you get some ways to cope with the anxiety and other triggers.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You don't have to say a word in an AA meeting. I don't think I spoke at all for a month or so. But remember those people suffer from the same illness you do, most are kind and would love to help.

And remember one breath at a time, it took a while to get you in this mess it will probably take a little while to get out.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi! Glad you are here. I am also a proponent of AA. A lot of people just come and listen. You can always pass if you don't want to share. AA saved my life.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back SB

D