Notices

Suggestions

Old 03-02-2016, 05:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Suggestions

I drink daily and almost to a point I don't remember going to bed. I hate how I feel in the mornings but yet when night time hits I start drinking again. Not because I feel I need it, but more so out of boredom. How do I get past this? What do I do
Old 03-02-2016, 06:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome!

I've been where you are, promising myself that I wouldn't drink that day only to have my resolve crumble and end up drinking.....

What works for me is not listening to that voice in your head that tells you lies, the one that makes up all the excuses for why you should drink even though the rational side of you knows better.

You can do this! Keep busy and read and post on here.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Maybe define what boredom really means to you and develop interests and a nightly schedule to remedy your boredom?
Old 03-02-2016, 06:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it's more than just stopping drinking. We often need to make lifestyle changes to support our recovery. What do you like to do? Try to find some activities that you enjoy or consider volunteering.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You know...
There's a process here where you have trained yourself. It's took some time to get there I bet. Didn't happen over night.

I did the same thing to myself. I not only leaned in alcohol to address boredom, but I used it to relax, to deal with stress, to celebrate, and slowly worked it up to the point I used it in response to every emotion.

After years of training myself that way, I became emotionally ********. I knew no other way.

Finding other ways to address boredom is a major factor for sure. Most people do not need alcohol to deal with boredom.

I'm no expert, but my experience is to attack it from both angles. First...stop drinking. There's nooo chance for ANYTHING to take hold of alcohol is in the way. So stop. Make that first and foremost and put ALL your energy into it.

To do that, you need a plan. A major part of your plan needs to be listing several things you can do. Make a long list of things that you do enjoy as well as things you might enjoy. Spend some time on google and search for things there. Explore what's available in your community as well.

To sum, I would:
- stop drinking and be prepared for not so exciting days. But every day away from booze is a day closer to being naturally happy and emotionally mature.
- have a list of things I can do. Then do them. KNOWING FULL WELL that I'm not going to hit a grand slam on my first at bat. No high expectations. Just try, try, try again.

Boredom was hard for me to deal with at first. But through time, trial and error, I was able to find things I can do that are enjoyable to me. Like replying to your post right now.

You pose a great question. One that you WILL find the answer to if you give it a chance. Just know that every single day you drink is taking leaps backwards and every day you don't drink is a baby step forward. It doesn't take long for those baby steps turn to full strides.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Nb
Old 03-03-2016, 06:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've been there. Start the day on the subway saying I won't drink today and will work out. Sounds great at 7:30am. Then work ends, I head home and suddenly can work out "tomorrow" and really the stress of the day means wine is needed, right? Now I don't even have the debate with my AV. There is no more discussion and I can free my brain up.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Newbeginning111 View Post
I drink daily and almost to a point I don't remember going to bed. I hate how I feel in the mornings but yet when night time hits I start drinking again. Not because I feel I need it, but more so out of boredom. How do I get past this? What do I do
Do you WANT to get past it?

Do you WANT to be free?

Are you ready to CHOOSE sobriety?

Because if so... then the first step is to CHOOSE IT.

Yes, I know that 12-step programs say step one is admitted we were powerless over alcohol...... but I believe that the first step is really the point at which we CHOOSE. For me, until I actually chose that I wanted freedom from the desperate cycle of addiction, the admitted part wasn't going to happen.

Anyway - if you're ready - then I'd suggest going to an AA meeting, getting a Big Book, reading that thing, going back to some more AA meetings.

Or - if you're not comfortable with that, try SMART recovery.

Or - if you're not comfortable with that, try a therapist or a treatment program.

Or - try a combination of things..... but it comes down to four basic steps.

1 - CHOOSE SOBRIETY
2 - MAKE CHANGES TO SUPPORT AND HONOR THAT CHOICE
3 - STICK WITH THOSE CHANGES
4- REPEAT AND DEEPEN, DAILY

Old 03-03-2016, 07:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sounds like me. I quit every morning. After work I would go home and sit and do nothing, might as well have a few drinks. I'd quit again the next morning.
This morning look at the movies playing to other event. Go to that after work. Whatever your witching hour have a plan to do something else. Sitting around doing nothing when you would be drinking is hell. You can't drink at an AA meeting. Go and observe, an interesting expedition as it were.. Strictly as an observer, you're not an alcoholic but it will be interesting to see what real one's say and do. Are they are old, do they say crazy things, wear funny hats? All questions that need answers. Please report back here, I'm curious too.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

In order to stay sober, you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Newbeginning111

sit on SR tonight - get some ideas - read some posts, post for yourself, and maybe post in support of others.

You'll go to bed sober and wake up the same way - and that's a start

D