Notices

How do I start?

Old 03-01-2016, 02:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do I start?

How do I get past one day? How do i make it two days sober and three and more?
I get to a certain time of the day and an alarm clock goes off. Bam! Drinking is all I can think about.
I spend the day determined for it to be day one and then nightfall comes and my will goes out the door. Nothing i say or do makes me stop my hands from pouring and my mouth drinking.
How do I get past one night? How can I make it 2 nights?
~Samantha
Old 03-01-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Sammy

The way I did it was post here - post for help, post to other people to help them...really get recovery into your conscious thought. Sitting here also means you can't be out buying booze....

why not check out our Class of March Support thread? It's for everyone quitting this month

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-one-3.html

D
Old 03-01-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sammy, You absolutely can do this. This is a link with lots of programs and suggestions for you:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 03-01-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Personally, I went to AA. And I asked for help and made sure people checked in on me. The first weeks of sobriety I pretty much had someone to call, be with or write to every minute of the day. SR, AA, friends and family - I mobilized whomever to get through the days. Then it got better and I was clearheaded enough to change my routines and behaviours. 240 days today, and I could never have done it alone.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Sammy; glad you found us.

Many people have found that a change in your routine can help you get past that 'drinking hour' habit. go to the gym, go to a movie, take a class, take a relaxing aromatic bath, read and post here at SR, attend a meeting, etc.

Do you have a plan for sobriety and recovery? For many people, a plan is essential. I'll post a really good SR link in a minute.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Here is the link, Sammy:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...highlight=psst
Old 03-01-2016, 03:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Sammy!

I think the first day is the hardest for everyone! I needed help to quit drinking and stay sober. I went to a no-cost, in-patient detox; and then did ninety AA meetings in ninety days ( and I still go to a few meetings a week three years later).

Reading and posting here is great too! SoberRecovery is always open. I hope to hear from you soon!
Old 03-01-2016, 03:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Welcome to SR, Sammy; glad you found us.

Many people have found that a change in your routine can help you get past that 'drinking hour' habit. go to the gym, go to a movie, take a class, take a relaxing aromatic bath, read and post here at SR, attend a meeting, etc.

Do you have a plan for sobriety and recovery? For many people, a plan is essential. I'll post a really good SR link in a minute.
Well, I don't really have a plan persay but I'm driving a long distance in over a week and half (one that will take a couple days) and I don't want those days to be day one. I want to start sobriety on my own terms. Not because a drive is forcing me to. When I made this trip a couple months ago, that drive was going to be day one. Being forced to stop. But when i reached my destination, sobriety didn't last.
So, I'm reaching out here and now. My bottle is empty, I havnt gone to the store and I know that as I sit here and watch the sun go down, the battle will begin... I'm scared of going to bed with my brain having a voice.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sounds like you haven't changed your pattern. I use to drink almost every nite at around 6PM. I quit/want to quit but then around 6 or 7 I say "what the heck". I was always sitting around doing nothing so naturally I'd think about drinking. Try doing a non-drinking activity at your witching hour. AA will kill an hour or so and it's tougher to drink when you leave. Go to a movie or other event that doesn't serve alcohol.

I never think about quitting for weeks or months just one day. I tell my self "I will not drink today." I do it Every day. If I think about next year I'll stop myself and ...
Old 03-01-2016, 03:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chrcarlson View Post
Sounds like you haven't changed your pattern. I use to drink almost every nite at around 6PM. I quit/want to quit but then around 6 or 7 I say "what the heck". I was always sitting around doing nothing so naturally I'd think about drinking. Try doing a non-drinking activity at your witching hour. AA will kill an hour or so and it's tougher to drink when you leave. Go to a movie or other event that doesn't serve alcohol.

I never think about quitting for weeks or months just one day. I tell my self "I will not drink today." I do it Every day. If I think about next year I'll stop myself and ...
That's my problem. I tell myself so many times a day that today I will not drink. I try to convince myself even by making deals about it. Nothing has stopped me. I even changed nightly rutines and all that and nothing has worked.

The one time I reached out to others for help I ended up taking my own pains out on them. Rage even. I won't do that again.

So, by myself, on my own, I want to start sobriety today. And if this community of people can be my support system, I welcome it.

About a year ago I made it 2 weeks sober and I celebrated by proving to myself that I could drink and not binge til I passed out. Because I like drinking, socially or by myself. I failed. And I have continued to spiral out of control. If I can get sober this time I will never have another drop again. I know im an alcoholic now and forever.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good you accept you can never drink again, Sammy.

Take a look at some the links that we posted and you can get an idea for making a plan for yourself that will work for you.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi and welcome Sammy

The way I did it was post here - post for help, post to other people to help them...really get recovery into your conscious thought. Sitting here also means you can't be out buying booze....

D
Thank you! I'm glad someone else started here, this site. I think this will be my AA, my support group, my detox center.

Asking for help from others has been a challenge for me since I was a child. I have known for a while that I need to reach out for help to get sober but can't bring myself to show weakness to anyone I know.

I have tried to spin this weakness into a strength even. Convincing myself that because I'm never hungover, never sick and can drink with the boys makes me something special. But I can't fool myself anymore. I'm done listening to the voice that says ******** llike that. So, here I am on this site talking to people like you so I'm not talking to voices in my head like that.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR, Sammy. You have good advice already - I'll just add that I stopped after a lifetime of drinking. I have 8 yrs. Signing on here every day helped me find the courage & strength to stick to my plan of being sober. We know you can do it. Things will be much better when you get free.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Welcome to SR, Sammy. You have good advice already - I'll just add that I stopped after a lifetime of drinking. I have 8 yrs. Signing on here every day helped me find the courage & strength to stick to my plan of being sober. We know you can do it. Things will be much better when you get free.
Thank you! I will be back. I'll be back even if I relapse. I'll post my shame and anger.

I found happiness finally and all by myself briefly--when I knew that alcohol would be dangerous for me and therefore had rules about it. never being in my house and not doing it often, not making the bar a habit and so on. But then I turned 21 and I allowed someone I love to take me down with them. I've been blaming them and feeling sorry for myself ever since. It's been 3 years and I have had an estimated total of 60 days without bingeing at night. Maybe 60..
Old 03-02-2016, 04:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Sammy!!