Notices

New to recovery, seeking advice

Old 03-01-2016, 12:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to recovery, seeking advice

Hi folks,

First time poster. It's been 2 days since my last drink. On that day I drank a half of a bottle of vodka, and blacked out. I tripped into my bed frame shattering it, hitting my spine and back of my head on the floor. I'm covered in bruises.

I'm still in mild pain from my injuries, concussion has been ruled out, but this was the 3rd time I blacked out that week from alcohol.

I'm embarrassingly covered in bruises and knew it was time for change. I signed up for this, and am seeking a secular recovery group in New York City.

I've been and on and off binge drinker for 10 years. While I didnt get drunk everyday, there were long streaks of almost every day. This past year my partner and I decided to "keep it to the weekends" but this hardly still seems healthy. Our tolerance is out of control, and I frequently pass out.

While I don't drink everyday at this point, I am still concerned about DT's and withdrawal and all that. I read good things about stopping drinking but then other sights say it may kill you.

So I'm concerned, should I be worried about seizures? Dying? All of this panic doesnt help me to stay away from the liquor store, but I am going to hang tough. Would appreciate some real life detox cold turkey stories.

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

I'd you were a regular binge drinker, medical advice would seem called-for, yeah.

Welcome to the forum and stay strong -- it gets better.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Rose

Unfortunately none of us can predict what might be ahead for you - which is why the smart money is on seeing a Dr, just to be safe

I'm really glad you've joined us - you'll find a lot of support and good ideas here

Welcome

D
Old 03-01-2016, 08:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! I can relate to the bruises, seems like I had a new one every week. How do you feel when you don't drink? Do you get the shakes, are you irritable? If not, you probably don't have a physical dependency...but again, like OPs said, it's best to check with your doctor.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I didn't drink as hard for as long. I don't believe I ever blacked out. I drank every day for years, but usually a few beers. For about 2years I started drinking liquor a lot more every day. Then for about a year, I became an all day drunk.

I was going through about a gallon a week or more. I had become physically dependent on alcohol. Shakes would set in when I wasn't drinking after a couple hours.

I quit CT and lived to talked about it. Sweats, shakes, sleeplessness, irritability, muscle aches, flu like symptoms. I felt like death, but I never died.

The "suck" as I like to call it, went fast. In a matter of a few days I had lost most of the symptoms. Sleeplessness hung around for a little while, but I was able to manage that and survive with the help of sleepy time tea, valerian root, melatonin or 5htp, etc.

That's my story.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can't give medical advice. I drank 2 to 4 times a week for years. Sometimes everyday for a week or two. I quit cold turkey without DT's but I did sweat, have bad dreams, poor sleep and lots of anxiety.

On another note: the first two weeks were the hardest. It got easier every day after that.

Best Wishes
Old 03-01-2016, 09:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

When I had my longest stretch of sobriety so far, almost 3 1/2 years, it came after a medical detox in the hospital. I had been having seizures at least every other week trying to keep up with my tolerance. This time, knowing that it was dangerous, I rolled the dice and tapered at home under the supervision pf my sister. I knew that it was risky, but she was monitoring my blood pressure and giving me hourly checks to see how my symptoms and cognition were, and she was ready to take me to the hospital at any time.

That said, I would encourage anyone who is concerned with the possibilities of withdrawal to immediately seek medical advice. Your life is too important to gamble on.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! Getting medical help to detox safely is advised. Alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous.

I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would see a doctor just to be sure. Not only can they help you safely detox but they can offer advice on options to stay sober, such a secular meetings, support groups, therapists, medications, various other tools.

If you would like to hear another "real life" story, here is mine. I have stopped a number of times. A year or so ago I was drinking 2-3 bottles of wine a day, every day, often starting about 10am. I have been making progress in that I am not drinking daily anymore, but have binges once a month and more recently, once a week or so. Each time I have quit I have done so cold turkey and the maximum I have suffered is some sweating and vivid dreams.
I do truly feel that my time is running up though and any time now could be the time that the sh*t hits the fan and I go into severe withdrawal.

So, I guess that is a "do as I say, not as I do" type recommendation. Yep, see a doctor.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Rose
Old 03-02-2016, 07:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Folks!

Thank you for the warm welcome, and replies. As for physical withdrawal, I rarely feel the shakes, or tremors on non-drinking days. My hangovers are usually a combination of headaches and emotional effects. Lots of anxiety and fear. I never feel angry however, usually depression. I frequently have panic attacks, and have been prescribed Klonopin. It has been helping to reduce the frequency of panic attacks. Looking at meditation possibly to tame the ego.

This week so far has been a lot of pain/ aches from my bruises from my fall. I am pretty nauseated but able to keep food down. I do have belly aches, but I have PCOS as well, which causes ovarian pain. I am able to sleep, but it takes a healthy dose of melatonin and sleepy time tea. I wake up frequently. I do miss the bliss of falling asleep after a good bottle of wine. While the morning would suck at least I would sleep through the night. I guess thats what they describe as bargaining.

I would love to find a group to talk because as the weekend approaches I find myself more and more fearful. I am happy with my decision, but want to keep up with it. Even watching shows where people are drinking it can be tough, does anyone else experience this? Ugh, really anxious about the weekend.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I absolutely felt that way for a couple weeks to a couple months. I was jealous. Bottom line was I was still in love with evil alcohol.

It's like the spouse who feels in love with an abusive partner. How could I possibly miss something that had created so much harm? How could I knowingly want to sip the devil's nectar? How far do I have to go before I don't "love" it any more? That was a question I simply did not want to find out.

I'll tell ya something. When I posted day 1 here in April2015, I had NO intention of quitting. I posted day 1 in hopes that I could string a few days maybe a couple weeks together with plans to drink "when I wanted to". In moderation.

As I was suffering through acute WD's, I knew drinking would just out me right back to square one. So I pushed through. But honestly, after a few days, I started seeing benefits. Those little nuggets were just embers.

In the meantime as I posted day after day, I was seeing people come back after attempts at moderation. I could almost feel the desperation. As I was in the middle of "the suck" myself, I couldn't imagine going through it again. I saw post after post of people begging to the community to NEVER have that one drink. Pleading to anyone who would listen that the drinking pattern would quickly return and then continue its progressive state of destruction.

IDK when I converted, but it wasn't all that long after I payed day 1. I felt my anxiety go away, I was feeling more and more physical improvements and emotional growth. There just came a point where I said I will never put myself back to where I was again.

As time continued, I would feel anger and sorrow as I saw drinking on TV. It's a shame how TV promotes drinking. Pisses me off. Commercials as well as TV shows and movies makes it look like you need alcohol to relax, to have fun, to have friends.

Lies. All lies.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really recommend making a recovery plan Rose - especially if you're concerned about the weekend?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 03-02-2016, 04:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Rose!!
Old 03-02-2016, 04:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Rose, and welcome.
If you looking at help for the weekend this is a great place to come. Somebody, large numbers of somebody's, are on this site 24/7.
This site was my sole lifeline when I quit drinking as I didn't want to do anything locally/publicly and I was done belaboring my goals with my family. I came here hourly for the first couple of weeks.
I wish you well and hope to see you here.
Best,
Jonathan
Old 03-02-2016, 04:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Rose!

There are always people here anytime day or night, including the weekend. My suggestion is to plan ahead for your weekend and plan something different than what your normal weekend would be. You can do this!
Old 03-02-2016, 05:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Rose! Those initial days of alcohol cessation are tough, but they do pass. Anxiety might hang on a while longer (it did for me, but then again I have always had anxiety issues), but you will definitely feel better as the time goes on. Besides, you'll also be saving some money as those bottles of vodka aren't cheap!

Hang in there!
Old 03-02-2016, 06:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Incontrol15 View Post
I didn't drink as hard for as long. I don't believe I ever blacked out. I drank every day for years, but usually a few beers. For about 2years I started drinking liquor a lot more every day. Then for about a year, I became an all day drunk.

I was going through about a gallon a week or more. I had become physically dependent on alcohol. Shakes would set in when I wasn't drinking after a couple hours.

I quit CT and lived to talked about it..
Same drinking pattern here....different ending. I had at least 3 (maybe 4) grand mal seizures and had to be rushed to the hospital. Nasty and dangerous withdrawal experiences for me.

That might explain why we are hesitant to give you any medical advice here, Rose - there's just no way to really predict the future on these kinds of things. I also recommend just speaking to a doctor and being honest about it. Trust me, they hear that kind of stuff all the time, and they won't judge you - they are there to help. Good luck and welcome aboard!

Getting sober is going to be very, very worthwhile.