Notices

Time for a new try

Old 02-29-2016, 10:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time for a new try

Hi,

I have tried a few times to get sober but only manage a few days. Today I woke up, slightly hang-over with a overwhelming feeling that this is not who I want to be. A few weeks ago my son was diagnosed with a chronic disease, this made me drink every day but it really doesnīt help either of us. Quite the contrary of course. I am also supposed to run a half marathon in a months time, needless to say it will not happen unless I quit now. Today I will work from home, take it easy, drink a lot (of water...) and figure out how I am going to make it. This site is a great place and running has helped me before. I tend to plan weeks ahead, also trying to go on a very strict diet, all at once, but I am thinking this time I will take it one day at a time, and if I donīt drink and take up the running, that is enough of a "diet" at this point. A problem is that I am alone with my kids a lot, and I realized that I drink when I get bored, so I have dug out a lot of books and plan to attend an evening course. I need to stay busy. I am also already worrying about next weeks Saturday when I am invited to a party. But I plan to take the car and use the half marathon training as an excuse in the beginning. Well, thanks for reading, have a great day all of you!
Old 03-01-2016, 12:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Teresia and welcome. You will find lots of support and lots of wisdom here, although I don't possess much wisdom.

The only thing I can say is that from my experience when I first got sober I COULD NOT go to parties or any other venue where there was drinking. Just couldn't.

Maybe you need to decline the invite politely. I also found a great deal of freedom in just telling folks why rather than finding excuses. But we all have our own path to follow.

Alcohol is a lie, and that little voice in my head is a liar.

Many other more articulate folks will be along soon. I just wanted to let you know you aren't alone.

Good luck!
Old 03-01-2016, 12:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your son's diagnosis Teresia - but you're right drinking doesn't help either of you.

I really recommend you take a look at this link,
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

Often we make plans that include a lot of activities and things to fill our day - which is great...but I believe we also need to think about what to do when cravings strike, or we have bad days, or where to find support and how to best use it....

A good plan is worth its weight in gold

D
Old 03-01-2016, 04:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Teresia having a plan is essential its good your digging out books and thinking of an evening course

On this site there are many threads that are very helpful get to know them

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html

I can't stress how much sobriety is made easier with a plan
Old 03-01-2016, 05:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks! The evenings are the worst, but I find that if i get past day 1, it usually gets easier a while before I start thinking i have no problem..
Old 03-01-2016, 12:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back Teresia!! You can do this!!
Old 03-01-2016, 12:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi. I'm a longtime marathoner and running is a large part of my recovery. If you are looking for some things to do with likeminded people, head to your local running store and tell them you are looking for a running group training for the half. You will meet tons of people like you.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.