Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Anyone choose a day to quit? I need motivation, or something...

Notices

Anyone choose a day to quit? I need motivation, or something...

Old 03-01-2016, 10:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Sobersolstice. I haven't read all the responses, so they may have been suggested already. I don't see a problem with selecting a date or day to start fulfilling your goal. The hard part is sticking to it. Most of the things I do in my life are planned out far in advance, then when that day arrives that I decide to start doing whatever it is, I have no excuses and I give it 100% and do my very best to refuse any excuse. So far its worked pretty well for me most of my life.
Set a date, mentally prepare, execute your plan. You can do it.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
A plan for times you are tempted helps.
Quitting and recovery are two different things sober--
Make a plan, and actively work on recovery. . ..
That's what I had to do. Just quitting wasn't enough.

Great job on Day 1!
Thanks! I'm not sure what kind of plan will work for me, but my longest absence from alcohol (6months) has been due to eliminating it from existence as a consumable. I simply ignored it. I went to bars and parties all the time and just locked the switch. Maybe I did it the hard way, but would visit bars I used to go to and just have soda water with a lime. I did something similar with smoking. I was smoking a pack a day for a while, and when I decided to quit, left a box of full cigs on my office desk open with a lighter next to it for a month, then threw it in a campfire one day.

I messed my alcohol abstinence up at a Christmas party that year after calling a dozen friends and family members who didn't seem to think it was a big problem. I thought I was ready to be a social drinker. I was wrong.