Notices

Tips to avoid self pity?

Old 03-01-2016, 08:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Could be sympathy pain. I've been known to do stranger things...
Old 03-01-2016, 10:56 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks!

Originally Posted by SoberinSyracuse View Post
Ever hear of a technique called "thought stopping?" When a negative, self-defeating thought goes through your head, CRUSH IT. Scream "STOP!!" And immediately force your mind onto something else, even if it's reciting the alphabet backwards.

I don't find it very useful to try to argue with self-pitying thoughts. It works better just to squash them.
Really felt this helpful, SnS - thanks! I have been doing a bit of self-pitying and wishing I had done this and that for my mom, etc. and it just takes over. I am now 4 days sober and know that will ease, but you've added a new tool for me to use: SQUASH 'EM! Love it. No negotiating.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

This was posted in another thread and seemed worth sharing.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:10 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by ScrewdUpInDe View Post
This was posted in another thread and seemed worth sharing.

Too much self pity isn't a good thing.

That said I don't believe in absolutes, even in no self pity.

E.E.E.N. Enough's enough but enough's necessaary.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:03 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Zen,

I understand how you feel. Your doing great then something comes along and very quickly things go downhill and before you know it sobriety doesn't feel so good. Even knowing that these feeling are temporary and that they will pass, the whole thing can be very difficult to deal with!

At times like this its important to focus on why you wanted to get sober in the first place.
Originally Posted by tursiops999 View Post

My best tools to ease self-pity are ...

take a piece of paper or journal and write a list of all the things I am grateful for. It can be little things, like the breakfast I'm eating, the sunrise, hearing a bird call, or big things like having a job, having a family member I love and appreciate.

Second thing is, to try to think of someone else in need, that I can help, maybe just with a phone call to say hello. Or reach out and post to others on SR who are hurting.

I hope your back feels better soon!
I totally agree with tursiops, writing things down can help a lot! The very act of putting pen to paper for me seems to take the edge off things.

I also try to take myself back, just for a few moments, to how awful it felt during the worst of my drinking days. Thats a place I never want to go back to.

And of course reaching out as you're already doing, is probably the best thing of all