SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day 6 and I'm quitting cigarettes too (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/385837-day-6-im-quitting-cigarettes-too.html)

noneever 02-27-2016 06:52 PM

Day 6 and I'm quitting cigarettes too

Day 6. Feeling strong regarding not drinking today. I just smoked my last cigarette and am quitting those today too. Am I mad to be quitting both at the same time. I have patches, so I'm not too worried about nicotine withdrawals but is this a wise move?

Rachinator 02-27-2016 07:00 PM

Well I would think it is a wise move. It will be rough and you will be tested like no other. Once you get over the initial hump it won't be so bad. Keep your guard up you AV will try to get you to fail. Good job on the 6 days keep it up and good luck

Notimetoloose 02-27-2016 11:46 PM

Doing positive things is alway a wise move....just take it easy on yourself..
I had quit drinking and gave up smoking; cold turkey...so tough!
In hindsight, I would have taken it a little easier, focused on one bad habit at a time.
While I did stay a non-smoker I did go back to drinking...unfortunately.
The drinking lasted for about 18 months on and of, now I am back on track and I am happily a non-drinker and a non-smoker : )

Soberwolf 02-28-2016 04:16 AM

I just posted congrats for day 5 well now for 6

Meraviglioso 02-28-2016 04:44 AM

I think it is a good idea. I find the two go hand in hand. Good luck.

Paix Amour 02-28-2016 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by noneever (Post 5820807)
Day 6. Feeling strong regarding not drinking today. I just smoked my last cigarette and am quitting those today too. Am I mad to be quitting both at the same time. I have patches, so I'm not too worried about nicotine withdrawals but is this a wise move?

Good for you. Don't forget to keep posting in your February class, theres a lot of support there and kittycat3 and somebody else is giving up smoking at the same time as well.

:c011:

spadge 02-28-2016 05:15 AM

That's my next venture! But one thing at a time. Ive found since I stopped drinking that I am smoking even more for some reason. Like you say they go hand in hand. Im on day 13 now and when Im ready I will also quit smoking.
OMG Im gonna be rich!!! haha

Paix Amour 02-28-2016 05:39 AM

day 13 is excellent!

yeah spadge its so expensive to smoke these days!

what are you going to save up for?

amyrose 02-28-2016 05:47 AM

The first time I stopped drinking, I also gave up cigarettes pretty soon after. They were intertwined for me, so giving up one made it easier to give up the other.

I will say I focused on giving up drinking as the primary. If I slipped on the smoking, that was forgivable. Relapse on the drinking was a 100% guarantee I'd smoke and do all sorts of other bad, so I picked one as the main focus. Congrats on Day 6!

Paix Amour 02-28-2016 07:10 AM

That's the story Amy, keep it up! We look forward to hearing from you in the February class. See you there.

spadge 02-28-2016 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Cococo (Post 5821333)
day 13 is excellent!

yeah spadge its so expensive to smoke these days!

what are you going to save up for?

I'm going to save up and go visit my daughter who lives in Australia xxx

PurpleKnight 02-28-2016 10:14 AM

Great job on Day 6!! Keep it going!! :)

Steely 02-28-2016 10:23 AM

Come over to the 24 hour quit nicotine thread noneever. It is a really supportive group of people all quitting cigarettes. This is my Day 4 off cigarettes and 2 months sober.