# 21 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome GardenGal
Old 02-26-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Relapse is not inevitable.

Since I've joined SR I've had 100% success - nearly 9 years now

Like others have said drinking is part of my addiction, not my recovery.

My advice not to set up the possibility that 'a couple of drinks' might not be counted as a relapse.

Thats pure AV uncorked.

D
Old 02-26-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Gardengal

D
Old 02-26-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

The fact that you don't consider "a drink or two" as a relapse is a pretty strong indication to me that you either don't have a strong enough recovery plan, or that you haven't fully accepted your addiction. Did your inpatient treatment teach you that drinking occasionally was going to be OK, or is your addiction telling you that?[/QUOTE]

Maybe I phrased that incorrectly. I do think that having a drink or two, regretting it, then getting right back to sobriety vs going back to your pre-sobriety drinking levels (and probably then some) is a bit different. I suppose in the first instance you catch yourself before falling off the cliff. That's not my addiction talking, that's just common sense. Now, if I could just HAVE one or two and be done with it, I wouldn't be on this board in the first place! :-) The rehab I went to did not advocate trying to moderate; I imagine few do. What I'm gathering is that many people try moderation after a period of abstinence, hence the relapse rate.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
thats some dam good rationalizing insane thinkin there!
It's no rationalization. I'm just saying in my opinion (and it's only an opinion!) realizing you slipped up and getting right back on track vs going back to your old ways is different. I know AA doesn't share that view and that's fine.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
The fact that you don't consider "a drink or two" as a relapse is a pretty strong indication to me that you either don't have a strong enough recovery plan, or that you haven't fully accepted your addiction. Did your inpatient treatment teach you that drinking occasionally was going to be OK, or is your addiction telling you that?

Maybe I phrased that incorrectly. I do think that having a drink or two, regretting it, then getting right back to sobriety vs going back to your pre-sobriety drinking levels (and probably then some) is a bit different. I suppose in the first instance you catch yourself before falling off the cliff. That's not my addiction talking, that's just common sense. Now, if I could just HAVE one or two and be done with it, I wouldn't be on this board in the first place! :-) The rehab I went to did not advocate trying to moderate; I imagine few do. What I'm gathering is that many people try moderation after a period of abstinence, hence the relapse rate.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:44 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I think when I came to terms that I am an alcoholic, that I cannot drink like normal people having a drink or two. Then I finally realized alcohol is completely off the table. I know for the rest of my life I simply cannot drink, end of story. No other way to rationalize it in my mind.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:51 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

we should not expect ourself or another to relapse (bad mo jo)

Originally Posted by uncorked View Post

I've read that relapse is almost expected on the road to recovery.

For the record, I don't consider a drink or two relapsing
You need not do it but, yes many do relapse.

I and many others in recovery do consider a drink or two a relapse.

M-Bob
Old 02-26-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

I relapsed a few times when I joined here, and I would always try to stop drinking for a week or two before returning when I was in active alcoholism.

Now that I've been sober for many months in a row, I understand that If I ever pick up a drink, the only choice would be getting back into recovery. Reading people's struggles here on SR keeps me grounded on why I have to keep doing this, for as long as I want to remain sober.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:23 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by uncorked View Post
I think most people in early recovery will see a difference - slip vs relapse if you will - and I understand why....it's very easy to go 'screw it' after taking one drink and not get back ever.

I'm going to stick with what I said tho - drinking again is part of my addiction.

It just makes sense to me that way. No quarter given.

D
Old 02-26-2016, 04:40 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Relapse is definitly not a part of recovery, there are no inevitables in any of this, it's not a box to tick on the road to making long Sobreity a reality.

When I got Sober I preferred to leave nothing to chance, with action, decision making, and planning ahead relapsing can be kicked to the kerb, with the right support, the right resources, Sobreity longterm can happen from Day 1!!

Keep pushing through with recovery, and kick addiction to the sidelines!!
Old 02-26-2016, 04:49 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

This is my first quit. About 90 days in I tried to quit smoking and had a full blown tantrum and ended up drinking 3 drinks. I fully intended to get drunk but my body wouldn't tolerate it and my mind was screaming for more. I ended up dumping the bottle because I was afraid I would push through the stomach pain and finished that bottle. I don't know what to call that. I pretty much treat it like lesson learned and adjusted what I would do if ever faced with the f-it's again. I still consider my original sobriety date as the date my recovery began.

I have heard people say things like "the first one is a gift", each attempt can get progressively harder. If you already have that much time clean, make this one stick. I have the idea that this chance to get it right is a one off for me It will never be any easier to stay sober than it is right now.

Edit: I meant it will never be any easier for me (I am at 3 years) You are at 4 months so it probably still sucks for you.