Notices

I need to drink today

Old 02-26-2016, 11:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Everything happens for a reason. You just can'take see what good things are in store for you. That'said what faith is for. Hold on...don'the drink...pray for the strength and patience to wait for the changes that are coming. Believe that good things are on their way. Please stay sober...don't let yourself down.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Bunny211 View Post
I have never EVER woken up sober and clear headed and thought "I wish I drank last night." Many times I have woken up and thought "I wish I HADN'T drank last night."
Man, how true is that!?!?!
Old 02-26-2016, 11:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Sorry about what you are facing alcoholfighter.
I know that it's stressful looking for a new job. If you feel that you don't have a future there it may be for the best.
As for the therapist, I can't believe that person is SO unprofessional. I doubt that they would be able to truly help you acting like that.

Drinking won't help anything, alcohol is a depressant. It will make you want more and more, then tomorrow you will wake up hungover and not wanting to go to work. Alcohol never solved any problems but has created plenty.

The only thing that you HAVE to drink is water.

I hope things work out for you.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:08 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry alcoholfighter - those are some hard hits. I'm pleased you're doing something productive tho - way to live up to your user name

I find that in recovery a bad day is usually just that - a bad day, not a bad week or a bad month like they used to be when I was drinking.

Stay with us

D
Old 02-26-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through, I don't know any problem that was solved through alcohol, there will be other opportunities, don't give into the fairytales that alcohol is trying to sell you!!

Hang in there!!
Old 02-26-2016, 07:07 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Each time you resist temptation, you get stronger. The next time it will be easier. With more sober time, you'll think less about drinking.

The one thing I did, at about 3 months sober, was start practicing gratitude every day. I made a list of all the things I was grateful for. At first, it was hard, as I was depressed and didn't see much to be thankful for, but it became a habit, and it changed my attitude from negative to positive.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:13 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Magsie

You're going through a rough time, alcoholfighter, please don't make it worse by adding booze in the mix.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:40 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the well wishes and hopefulness that everyone seems to have. To top things off, I was supposed to go somewhere with a really good friend tomorrow. She said she'd bring a bottle of wine, and I reminded her that I wasn't drinking. She basically said "not even wine"? Needless to say, now we're not going out tomorrow. I guess she won't be contacting me to hang out again in the near future. I feel like God just kicked me while I was down this week. I need bed! I'm so sad and can't stop crying
Old 02-26-2016, 08:12 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

((( alcoholfighter )))

Try and get some rest. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:14 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I am so sorry it must hurt terribly
On the plus side, being sober is getting you to see who are your true friends and who are just drinking buddies.
If she cancelled plans with you because she could not bring a bottle of wine, she is either very shallow or has a serious drinking problem of her own.
How do you think that a "friend" like that would fare if you were in serious trouble (like sick or lost your home etc...) if she cannot even be supportive of you doing something very positive for yourself?
Hang in there with us and why not treat yourself to some yummy food and your favorite movies tomorrow instead of mopping around all lonely and sad?
Old 02-26-2016, 08:51 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I think early in recovery a lot of problems that have been submerged often rise to the surface in quick succession. Its tough.

As others have said, alcohol won't help. Congrats on the days and smart move posting here. Reach out to your support systems, not the bottle.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:01 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you're struggling. Day 17 is fantastic. Try to think about how much worse you'll feel if you drink and have to start all over again. It's just not worth it.

I hope you choose to treat yourself kindly and with compassion.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:54 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I just want to go back to drinking soooo bad. I don't know if I can do this today. I'm so depressed and everything is reminding me about drinking!
Old 02-27-2016, 01:37 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Get out and do something. Go for a walk. Clean house. Move your mind away from the thoughts.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:00 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you don't give in and drink. I'm sorry your "friend" is so shallow and callous about your well being. When I got sober, I found out who my real friends were.

It gets better. Hang in there.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:06 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I didn't drink. But it's been a loooong two day
Old 02-27-2016, 07:10 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I need to drink today

Imagine getting good and drunk and going in to work the next morning hungover.

And then finding out that the person they offered the promotion to, declined it. And they want to re-interview you for the position, right away at 8:00 a.m.

Doesn't alcohol have a way of making things worse?
Old 02-27-2016, 07:15 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Stay strong!

You accomplished step one, admitting your thoughts and venting to all of us. Stay strong, alcohol can only make the situation worse. Call up some good clear headed friends or family and vent. Go for a walk, go scream at the top of your lungs, go punch a punching bag. Do anything but DRINK! It will not help, I promise. You got this, hang in there & stay strong.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:50 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Originally Posted by alcoholfighter View Post
I didn't drink. But it's been a loooong two day
Some of 'em are going to be like that. But it's better than ALL of them being like that due to the hangover/drinking/drunkenness cycle.

Hang in there, it does get better, brotha.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:40 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for your suffering - that is a rough one-two punch. I tend to benefit most by attending to feelings with intent and compassion, as opposed to relying on distraction. It's taken me 40 years to realize that.... Anyway, if you find things like books helpful, Guy Winch wrote a good research-based one called Emotional First Aid. It includes a chapter on our human response to rejection and how to triage it. (Interestingly, even when we know rejection is definitively not personal or about us, it still triggers the same response - it's a powerful emotion). here's a TED Talk he did to get an idea of his worldview: https://www.ted.com/talks/guy_winch_...ge=en#t-388372.