Notices

Helping others during my own recovery

Old 02-25-2016, 11:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Helping others during my own recovery

So I had a very interesting couple of days. All of them have been some really great experiences. I started a second job today, my lawyer for my last and final DUI case called me saying it will be wreckless driving and not a DUI charge, and I went to an AA meeting tonight instead of my usual mornings. So my last thread detailed how I surrendered finally, and how I'm feeling so great since I did. The meeting tonight was at 7:15, but I thought it was at 7 so I got there early. I asked one of the guys smoking outside where the meeting was going to be held as there are a bunch of rooms at the recovery center. We started talking for a bit. He had 115 days sober, but he ironically beat a court case this morning and decided to get drunk and high. This is my first time meeting someone at a meeting under this condition, but what better place to be than at a meeting right? I was once told an IOP "there is never a wrong time to make a right decision". So I'm talking to him sharing some of my story and telling him how he is in the right place and how he can get this back. We enter the meeting and he shares with everyone his current situation. It amazes me how much love and compassion is in these meetings. I don't share during meetings myself I just usually listen, but as each day goes by I'm getting closer and closer. I hope my story can help the next person.

Also if anyone hasn't watched "My name is Bill W" starring James Woods about the start of AA I suggest it. Great insight.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm a big supporter of helping others, and 'passing it on' getitright - good for you

D
Old 02-26-2016, 12:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

In helping others, we also help ourselves.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Agreed
Old 02-26-2016, 04:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good job. Start sharing your experience in meetings it may keep someone sober!
Old 02-26-2016, 04:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"giving back", for me, has been pretty essential to my sobriety.

It feels good, and it also gives me a constant reminder of where I might otherwise be. It keeps me connected to the reasons I've chosen sobriety in a real and present way that I cannot ignore or rationalize away.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I "beat" blood panels and think it is a license to party. It is not, though :/