Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Advice regarding tapering/weaning alcohol instead of medical detox please

Notices

Old 02-25-2016, 11:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello, I've read around the threads and realise this question has been raised previously and medical advice cannot be given on this site. Yet I'm seeking people's personal experiences. I cannot medically detox for a number of reasons. I'm scared regarding cold-turkey quitting, therefore I'd like to taper/wean to prevent serious withdrawals.

I drink 2 bottles of wine a day, or sometimes less, for years. Recently cut down to 1 to 1.5 a day. I've read the Hamsnet tapering schedule, but I'm still worried. Can anyone please recount their experiences? I have a blood pressure monitor and plenty of nutritious food and vitamins.

If not, thanks for being here, the information and support on this site is amazing, I've been a lurker!
Old 02-25-2016, 11:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi & welcome Tatsy

I used to drink that much or a bottle of wine n several cans. I went cold turkey and fortunately Havn't had any side effects.

Saw my doc the other day and he said it could be dangerous to do that so ive been very lucky!

I would go to your doc and ask for his advice hun.
Keep reading the posts here as there is a wealth of information.

Good luck xxx
Old 02-25-2016, 11:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have no advice on tapering as I could never do it. Always ended up drinking more.

Why can't you do a medical detox?
Old 02-25-2016, 11:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you Spadge, glad you're OK! Least, I can't go to my GP, because it will be on my records and impact upon my employability, sad but true.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Tasty!

I personally wasn't able to taper sucessfully; my body needed too much alcohol for the withdrawals to go away, or at least be tolerable. Unfortunately, medical detox was the only solution for me. Can you see a doctor? Be very careful whatever you decide!

Z
Old 02-25-2016, 12:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you Zeebs, I will try to be careful, but I don't want to taper too fast, in case of serious withdrawals.

Any personal experience is welcomed.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Most everyone is going to advise you to seek some kind of medical assistance. The reality is acute ethanol withdrawal can be very dangerous and shouldn't be taken lightly. Maybe you could just make an appointment with your GP and say it's for anxiety or blood pressure or something?
Old 02-25-2016, 12:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
Thank you Spadge, glad you're OK! Least, I can't go to my GP, because it will be on my records and impact upon my employability, sad but true.

Impact it more than your continued drinking?

It strikes me funny how many people are worried that their "recovery" will be documented in their records, somehow, but not worried about how their drinking, once it becomes unmanageable, will be documented: DUI, public drunkenness, various criminal charges, and finally, ones death certificate.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm another one that couldn't taper, maybe through the week, but never for long. I just went through acute withdrawal, still going through it actually. I spent the first night in the hospital and have stuck close to here since I got home. I was given a small prescription to help my nervous system and ward off seizures. It's been worth it so far, the support here is endless.

May I ask what country you live in where an employer has access to your medical records? Ouch!
Old 02-25-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Doggonecarl, I do realise my life is more important than drinking myself to death. But if I stop drinking via the detox route, I'll lose my career and passion. Not much reason for living once they're gone.

All I want to do, is quit drinking by tapering, instead of using benzodiazepines. Surely before benzos were 'invented' people used to taper, or maybe not. I was seeking some reassurance, but nonetheless, I'm going to plan a tapering schedule; which has to be safer than cold turkey, surely?
Old 02-25-2016, 01:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thank you Zeebs, I will try to be careful, but I don't want to taper too fast, in case of serious withdrawals.

Any personal experience is welcomed.
My personal experience was that I ended up in the ER because I didn't seek medical advice before I quit. That ends up on your medical record too BTW - although your medical record is a private matter which is a separate issue.

It is against forum policy to ask for or give medical advice here, and instructions or recommendations on how to taper would be exactly that. I can tell you that the vast majority if people who try to taper fail because it's mostly just an attempt to control your drinking . And if you could control your drinking you wouldn't be here in the first place, right?

Bottom line, be safe. Withdrawals can be dangerous - even deadly in certain circumstances.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just for the record, my prescription is not for benzos. I wish you luck whatever you decide. Stick around, lots of support here!
Old 02-25-2016, 01:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Delizadee, thank you for your post, I can't tell you how glad I was to read it, you gave me hope. I shan't rush the taper, I promise. I'll write soon.

Hi Goingnowhere, I hope that your withdrawals settle down soon. I'm in the UK.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello again Goingnowhere, I'm just wondering what your prescription was for, if not the usual benzos? Sorry if I'm prying.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm going to plan a tapering schedule; which has to be safer than cold turkey, surely?
Not always. You can still have withdrawals while tapering. Some users here have experienced seizures during a taper. And even with a taper, you still have to eventually quit completely - withdrawals can happen then too.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Scott, I'm sorry, I hadn't realised. I joined this site after reading 'tapering/weaning threads and thought perhaps, if inputted my personal consumption, someone could relate and post their experiences. I apologise for contravening the rules.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, sorry Tatsy, but we do not allow people to ask for or to give medical advice. As others have said, I recommend talking to your dr. Detoxing is tricky.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hello, I've read around the threads and realise this question has been raised previously and medical advice cannot be given on this site. Yet I'm seeking people's personal experiences. I cannot medically detox for a number of reasons. I'm scared regarding cold-turkey quitting, therefore I'd like to taper/wean to prevent serious withdrawals.

I drink 2 bottles of wine a day, or sometimes less, for years. Recently cut down to 1 to 1.5 a day. I've read the Hamsnet tapering schedule, but I'm still worried. Can anyone please recount their experiences? I have a blood pressure monitor and plenty of nutritious food and vitamins.

If not, thanks for being here, the information and support on this site is amazing, I've been a lurker!
I have tapered successfully, but as you can see it is not very popular on this forum. I will share my experience.

At my worst I was drinking basically around the clock for 2-3 weeks. Didn't realize I was in trouble until it was too late (honestly, never been through withdrawal before). When I finally decided I needed to quit and sober up, I remember drinking to the point of being tired or passing out, before I did, I ate a good meal. I slept for a period of time, when I woke up I went through my morning routine, and waited until I felt like I needed a drink. I drank just enough (slowly, not slamming) to calm me down, and feel "normal". At that point I ate well again and drank gatorade/water...and waited. When I started feeling weird again, I had just enough alcohol to calm me down, ate some more, and had more gatorade and water. I drank just enough to get back to being calm, and not drunk. It requires discipline. It took me 2 full days, and on the 3rd day I did not drink at all, but it took a couple more days to actually recover entirely. Hope that helps.
Lastly, you will likely still experience period of discomfort and restlessness.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi: this is the same amount I drink and I am 60.Ican go 1-2weeks without, but I seem to be in a bad mood, and depressed. I have never had a full year sobriety. I can't give advice, but for me, I only work 1x a week, and my adult children are out of the house, I have had some success without going to detox. I also am currently weaning from Xanax and ambien. I do have an apt with addiction dr. If you have great insurance that might make a difference in your decision.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Tatsy are you UK ?