Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Advice regarding tapering/weaning alcohol instead of medical detox please

Notices

Advice regarding tapering/weaning alcohol instead of medical detox please

Old 03-16-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Stay with us Tatsy! I did exactly the same as you the first time I joined over a year ago. I had my account deleted. Now I'm back for good! lots of us find a different path to sobriety. ... people just want you to be safe. You don't have to tackle sobriety alone
Old 03-16-2016, 02:41 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
Hello, please can a Moderator delete my account. This isn't perhaps the right site for me, I'm feeling rather alienated, because I haven't attended the type of detox centres which support this site.

Thank you, I do appreciate the information I've gained from reading this site.
I've never been in a rehab or detox centre in my life Tatsy.

I have had a very bad at home alone detox tho, and that's why I recommend at least seeing a Dr.

If you're serious about closing your account you can PM me or Anna, but I hope you reconsider

D
Old 03-16-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Tapering. Perhaps it has worked for some people. I was convinced a number of times that it would work for me. It generally involved me drinking a bit less for a while before I'd get knee deep again and again and again. I fortunately did not need to do an in patient detox, and managed to do it at home (with dr's advice and emergency meds). Detoxing at home in front of husband and kids, 3 different times, not fun. I mostly holed up in the bedroom, came out for food, and took a lot of baths. No, for me tapering is just a light day. As we say, we are dealing with alcohol, cunning, baffling alcohol. Anytime any of us thinks we have 'got this' or 'gained control' it's just another lie we've told ourselves. I'm not sure why you'd want to be deleted, that's a shame. But we are also told not to badger people who are just not ready, so I shall leave you alone and hope that you find your way back. Sobriety is something you have to want desperately. As much as you want air. You don't sound that way to me yet. Good luck to you. (PS, it's been one year and three months since I finally got it the third time round. I HAVE NO CONTROL, therefore I CANNOT DRINK, EVER).
Old 03-16-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I never went to a detox either Tatsy
hope you stick around and don't choose to leave
There are lots of ways to get sober, and it sure is easier with some support.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:57 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hello again Goingnowhere, I'm just wondering what your prescription was for, if not the usual benzos? Sorry if I'm prying.
Please, please, please Do Not Ask For or Give Medical Advice.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:31 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hi Tatsy,

I'm in the UK, have some HR experience, have personal experience of worrying about employment and medical records, have never been to rehab, am not going to any groups and I'm tapering to get to abstinence. So I hope I can help you!

The biggest and most important suggestion I have for you is - do this with a doctor. Find a way. Nothing is as important as staying safe and not taking a risk with your health.

These are the ways I've managed to deal with potential employment issues, not just for an alcohol problem but for other issues that I didn't want on my medical records like depression.

a) Be certain of your employment/medical records situation

Unfortunately I was in a job ( hope to reapply) where it's mandatory the powers that be have access to your medical records.
I'm a bit confused by this, if it means access to all your medical history. It actually sounds like it's dodgy under the Equality Act and Access to Medical Records Act. I

I can explain more if you want, but in the end if the employer that you want to return to has decided to require access, and you don't want to start spouting the law at them or be a test case in the courts, then you have to get around it. A number of ways come to mind:

- If in doubt about your legal/employment situation and you'd like to check, ring the Acas helpline which is free and confidential. www.acas.org.uk

- Be certain of exactly what your employer would check. Medical record checks don't consist of asking your GP to send your entire file over. They are a list of specific questions that goes to your GP. Are you certain of what the list of questions is?

- Try to get a job with a different employer. (And I have to wonder if it wouldn't be better to work for a genuine equal opportunities employer anyway.... )

- Try to get a different type of work if needed. I'm not sure why you're so set on that particular employer. If it's because of your field, it might be good to consider changing to something else (it's possilbe, many have done it)

- See a doctor but keep it out of your NHS record.

There are two ways that I've seen a doctor but kept the details out of my NHS record:

a) If your doctor is sympathetic, they may be able to write notes in a way that isn't going to cause you a problem. For example, I once had to get a sick note due to something I didn't want disclosed to my employer. My GP recorded it as "stress", which was true (I was extremely stressed!) but not the whole story. I've also had a situation where my GP was willing to note only that my heart rate, blood pressure, blood sugar levels and other measurements were being monitored, and what the measurements were. She didn't write down why. And all the monitoring results were fine so no issues.

b) If your NHS doctor won't do something like the above, can you afford to go private in a small way? I've used a Medicentre (I don't intend to promote them, I'm sure there are other private walk in clinics but it so happens that this one was local to me).

You can see a fully qualified medical doctor (you need to check that when booking) and they don't update your GP for your NHS records unless you ask them to. You just have to pay.

It cost me £70 per appointment plus I had to pay private prescription charges and pay for tests. I can't remember how much exactly but I think in total with three appointments, a couple of blood tests and a prescription, it added up to about £400. I was on a really tight budget at the time but in my view it was worth it, because I didn't want to mess with my employment opportunities (this was before the Equalities Act) and I didn't want to mess with my health.

If it came down to choosing between my preferred employment and my health, my health would win every time. I hope the same is true for you. Please see a doctor, one way or another. I'm not even going to talk about tapering when there's a question around that, sorry! I think it's too important.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:01 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Thank you to everybody that replied to me, after my strop, when I asked for my account to be deleted. I realise now that it was my AV speaking.

Since then, I've read around this site avidly, whilst tapering. It's hellish, but after years of heavy drinking, necessary; rather than cold turkey, in the absence of a medical detox. I'd love the comfort and reassurance of a medical detox and subsequent rehabilitation. I spoke to someone in the NHS confidentially, and sadly, in my area, GPs (doctors) can no longer prescribe at home detox medication, instead, having to refer to the alcohol and drug service. The waiting list for detox by the alcohol and drug service is 12 months or more. I can't wait until then, I can't afford private treatment (thousands of pounds a week) and I must stop soon, or my health will deteriote further.

Zeroine, I'm truly grateful for your informative post. I'm humbled that you took time out of your life to set out in detail the position in the UK, to a stranger. Once again, thank you.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:04 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

The last posts in this thread were almost three weeks ago. Are you done tapering?
Old 04-06-2016, 10:11 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hi Tatsy
I've been involved in online recovery forums for about 5 years. I have seen, many times, posts about how alcoholics are told to 'taper' in the UK. It always amazes me that a dr would even suggest that. Goes against the whole 'powerless over alcohol' concept, which this alcoholic most definitely is. In the US we can go to the ER, which cannot refuse treatment (although it has happened to me...) and usually will help kick start the detox process. However most won't give the addict a prescription to detox at home. That has to be done with the Dr.
That being said, I have had success with tapering. But I have also failed miserably only to find myself deeper in the whole of alcoholism. Eventually, no matter what, a plug has to go in the jug. I hope you are preparing to do that.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:04 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Please see a doctor! I withdrew at home and it was TERRIBLE! I don't mean to scare you, but that is an experience I would not risk. Please get some professional help because even after initial withdrawals, you may go through protracted withdrawals and that ain't pretty either. In fact, after 45 days sober, I had to go into a residential treatment program to get stabilized. Not every one will have that experience, but I would not risk it. I am a professional in a field that expects near perfection and my job supported me 100% . Know matter what you choose, use wisdom and best wishes!
Old 04-06-2016, 12:22 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I would get on a plane and travel somewhere where you can safely get the proper medication to detox. Just my 2cents. It might save your life. No way you can drink for another year waiting. right?
Old 04-06-2016, 12:35 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hi Tatsy,

Nice to meet you.

Apropos the doc, I was concerned about having time off work and what would be reported on my sick note.

The doc said (and did) she'd write whatever I wanted on the sick note. Admittedly this wasn't for a detox but the principal was the same.

So I had two months off work with depression and anxiety which as far as anyone at work was aware was glandular fever.

Of course this may not be the reason for your reluctance to see your GP but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Good luck on your journey; you're not going to miss the wine - I promise.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:53 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Oops, that'll learn me. I now realise my point had already been made a gazzilion times.

Sorry!
Old 04-07-2016, 04:10 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Thanks to all you kind folks for your replies.

I am powerless over alcohol and I can't believe I'm managing to find the willpower to reduce intake; but I'm so scared of cold turkey and am determined to cut down before stopping, in order to lessen the chances of dangerous withdrawals.

Cold fusion, yes, the taper hasn't been completed yet.... I should have stopped last week, but I experienced a terribly stressful two weeks due to a life event, so what did I do? My usual coping strategy was employed, drink - the taper schedule was abandoned.

I began the taper again, Friday 1st April. I am now down to half of my usual daily intake. Plus, each day, I take the first drink later, to ensure that I'm increasing the length of time that I have no alcohol in my system. Given that I previously was saturated in alcohol 24/7, I hope this will allow my body to slowly adjust, prior to quitting.

This is the hardest thing I ever done. I'm not sure when my Day One will be, I'm trying to listen to my body, checking BP etc., taking vitamins. I'll continue reducing gradually and extending the timing of the first drink.

Once again, thank you for your replies. I'm spending my days reading this site and copying and pasting reams of valuable information. I realise I haven't started yet, but I'm also working on My Plan.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:50 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Tasty, I am so glad to hear you are doing well and still firm in your desire to quit drinking. I'm happy that you decided to stay here with us ☺
Old 04-07-2016, 05:19 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I'm also glad you decided to stay
sending you a hug--quitting isn't easy
but boy, there is a much better life after alcohol
Old 04-07-2016, 05:30 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope it goes well and that you are able to stop drinking for good soon.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:55 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I know how hard it is, when do you figure your end of taper date is?
Old 04-07-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hi. Welcome to the forum.

I'm in the UK as well. I know that some people end up checking themselves in to A&E to get detoxed in the end.

Anyway, you've obviously decided that tapering is your only option for now. How long is your taper planned over? It's also worth starring to work on a sobriety plan now so that you're ready to rock after the taper, plus the things you include in it n would hopefully help you stick to the taper plan you've devised for yourself.

Have you checked out the support networks in your area? SMART, AA or similar?
Old 04-11-2016, 08:33 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Thank you to all you kind folks who replied since my last post.

Tomorrow is Day One. I feel apprehensive, but after the slow and careful taper, plus pumping the vitamins into my system, of which I'm probably deficient, I feel ready.

I simply cannot drink anymore, it was killing me....I had all those really bad signs. If I've a problem, when stopping, I promise I'll contact a medical professional. But as I've reduced, increasing the hours without alcohol each 24 hour period, I feel so much better and less anxious. Can't believe I've succeeded, yet here I am, stood on the crux of my new sober life. Thanks for all your support.