Notices

Perfection is the enemy

Old 02-24-2016, 02:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Perfection is the enemy

Just sharing a recent insight, that for me, at least, my ideals of perfection are indeed the enemy and a big part of the reason why I drink. Or rather, DID drink . It's taken me a long time to see it, even though it's been right in front of me the whole time...the degree to which I try to arrange everything to my own specifications, avoiding anything that doesn't fit my idea of what a perfect little life I should have. If I can't accomplish this in reality, then my mind takes over. Alcohol is especially good at allowing us to dream the perfect reality. Am I right?
It's really laughable, though...there you are in a drunken dream, imagining that you're king of the world, but your apartment is a shambles, and your only throne is the porcelain one you've been puking in, lol😜
There's a great line from Days of Wine and Roses where Kirsten talks about how dirty the world looks when she's not drinking. You get the idea. If this resonates with anyone, I'm glad. Thanks!
Old 02-24-2016, 06:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yep, sing it sister! Wait, maybe you're a brother, not that gender matters, I guess as I'm replying to the concepts you've posted....

Anyways-It took about (hmmmm) 20 minutes or so for my counselor to accentuate my tendency to be a perfectionist and how it basically led to where I was last year...(not good). Doing better now, but it ain't been easy, that's for sure....
Old 02-24-2016, 06:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep, it relates with me. Every time I drink, the illusion is created. Then is shattered again every time I wake up sober and hungover. The only way to recreate the illusion again is to drink again. This is why getting sober for good has been so difficult for me.

The only viable option is to get sober for good and learn to accept what life brings. It may not be perfect, but it's better than the alternative.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yup! I want to be perfect. Not a blemish on me!
Old 02-24-2016, 06:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Perfect is boring!!! And so relative...
Old 02-24-2016, 07:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I understand too

It seems counter intuitive but drinking was my way of controlling my world, eventually culminating in me drinking all day .

I banished emotions, and set the parameters for what my day would be like.

It was a crazy twilight kind of existence.

D
Old 02-24-2016, 11:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

I love insightful posts Zen
Old 02-25-2016, 02:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

"Perfection is no longer a goal today; we can achieve adequacy. " - NA Just For Today I.P.

And you thought you made that up! - (Don't worry, I thought I made that up too).

We all think like that.

"Very often, we discover that we are harsh critics of ourselves, wallowing in self-loathing and self-rejection....

Accepting ourselves as we are resolves the problem of expecting human perfection. When we accept ourselves, we can accept others into our lives, unconditionally, probably for the first time. Our friendships become deep and we experience the warmth and caring which results from addicts sharing recovery and a new life. " - NA Self-Acceptance I.P.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I don't have the illusion of control I feel afraid weak and vulnerable. That's when I try to remember that my "power" is really in control. Practice, practice, practice.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I recommend you read "The spirituality of imperfection" by Ernie Kurtz and Katherine Ketcham
Old 02-25-2016, 05:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
I recommend you read "The spirituality of imperfection" by Ernie Kurtz and Katherine Ketcham
I was about to say the same thing. Wisdom, learning, comes from the lessons learned through imperfection, even failure. To seek perfection in everything is hubris, Faustian, compulsive egotism. I am sure doctors, surgeons, lawyers and other professionals sometimes make mistakes. Some great surgeons have said that they may even have "killed" patients needlessly. They live with that. But they hope to improve and they usually do. The AV takes advantage of compulsive, obsessive personalities who set themselves impossible standards, which, not having been met, encourage drinking. I have seen senior partners of law firms occasionally slip. And some seek perfection in all things; "Everything which goes out of this office must be letter perfect!" Even a champion tennis player hits an occasional shot into the net. Must every drive off the golf tee be a hole in one? Every book published seems to know where the errors are. When the first copy arriving from the publisher falls open it always seems to do that on a page where there is a typo. I know of another person (not I) who made the embarrassing error of omitting the "l" in the word "public"! Another treacherous error is to say "this is not the case" instead of "this is now the case".

W.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Awuh and W. It's funny, I actually have that book...bought it awhile ago and been looking at it again lately. A lot of good, helpful advice, and I love all the stories.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great thread Zen.

Here's another angle on the evils of pefectionism and how it can contribute towards addiction.

The release afforded by the drug effect is frequently a release from a generalized sense of inhibition, an inability to express one’s feelings, needs and vulnerability spontaneously in life such that one feels dead, cut off, disconnected and tense. The inhibition may be a response to a demanding, perfectionistic, self-critical personality style related to a harsh “inner critic.” The critic may not allow one to relax because one’s work is never done, one’s achievements are never good enough, one may be filled with anxiety about the threat of failure or depression over feeling that one has already failed. The substance is hard to give up if it is the only key to one’s liberation from the tyranny of the inner critic.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
EndGame

Perfectionism is like a three-course meal, served in the finest places, where reservations are not required (though you make one anyway), but where your order is never quite right. Yet you keep going back, seated at your favorite table, continuing the same conversation with all the regulars. Of course, the bill is always paid, and the perfectly appropriate tip eventually catches up with those who waited on you. (And waited.) But, before you know it (and long before you're ready), Death steps in and neatly clears the table.

Even the best perfectionist can only hope for a life filled with mistakes of every measure, and with very little to show for all the effort. The tail is forever running away from its own head because it wants no part of it.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes, the inner critic is a tyrant...
Old 02-26-2016, 12:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Reality Is brutal and Thats why I tried to hide from it.

I learned to love the honesty through meditation and zen practise.

To quote fightclub: even The mona Lisa is falling apart
Old 02-26-2016, 01:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by coming_clean View Post
Reality Is brutal and Thats why I tried to hide from it.

I learned to love the honesty through meditation and zen practise.

To quote fightclub: even The mona Lisa is falling apart
A fine thread. There is wisdom here. There is much about the "struggle within". The first doctor I went to said "You are your own worst enemy." Since then I have become well acquainted with the "lizard brain" where the AV lives. I started to say "my AV" but wonder whether it is "mine" at all. In recovery it seems that it isn't really "me", that "me" has to be rescued from the AV.

W.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I used to be quite a perfectionist. It was frustrating. Luckily I grew out of it as I got older. My life is far from perfect, but it's a lot simpler and happier now.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My marriage has helped me let go of some of my perfectionism. That's one great aspect of my marriage.

Perfectionism choked my writing for a while. And that was before and after the drinking choked it.

It's been interesting to work through the resistance. It comes from taking it too seriously. I had a mentor tell me years ago I was still in the fairytale. He told me to begin to let go of the fairytale (and resulting perfection), because there's real work to do.

One thing that helps me out of perfectionism is to be vulnerable -- in the sense of being willing to be real in front of others. To be willing to show real pieces of myself, even at the store or standing in line. It's scary at first, but people respond well to it. People want to be real, and when you are real, it gives them permission to be the same.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Perfectionism is like a three-course meal, served in the finest places, where reservations are not required (though you make one anyway), but where your order is never quite right. Yet you keep going back, seated at your favorite table, continuing the same conversation with all the regulars. Of course, the bill is always paid, and the perfectly appropriate tip eventually catches up with those who waited on you. (And waited.) But, before you know it (and long before you're ready), Death steps in and neatly clears the table.

Even the best perfectionist can only hope for a life filled with mistakes of every measure, and with very little to show for all the effort. The tail is forever running away from its own head because it wants no part of it.
Endgame I always like your posts but this smashed it excellent advice again so true