Notices

I don't understand!

Old 02-24-2016, 10:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't understand!

So part of my plan is therapy. Worked on my emotions and learned self-compassion so that I don't numb with alcohol. It worked, but not on what I wanted, I lost 20 kgs (44 lbs) in the last 3 months with zero effort and zero cravings but drinking didn't change. I did the same 8 years ago with cigarettes (3-5 packs a day to 0).

So I've clearly kicked one addiction, I'm in the midst of kicking another addiction but I don't understand why alcohol is so much harder.

I would love anybody's insight that might help me. I want to stop drinking so much more than losing weight (not that I'm complaining about the latter) that I don't understand how one happens without a plan and the one with a plan is not budging since May 2015.

Thanks, KP
Old 02-24-2016, 10:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I stopped drinking in 2013. Can't for the life of me stop smoking. I would have said smoking is so much harder. I do know why I can't stop. Intellectually I know I need to quit. In my heart, I don't want to. In some ways I find it strangely comfortable to have a remaining vice. Not drink OR smoke?

I think you can quit the drinking. It may be a matter of looking more deeply to see what reservations you may have. Just keep coming back. Keep trying.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey KP. Therapy never worked for me. Nor did rehab. Nor did Naltrexone. Nor did Yoga. Nor did exercise and meditation. All the self knowledge in the world was not going to help me stop drinking. The only thing that worked was going to AA (Big Book Step Study meetings specifically - where they talk about the solution and NOT the problem). I got a BBSS sponsor, got really involved with AA - which led me to really search for God and try to forge a personal relationship with God. I started the steps (finishing up 4 now) and I've stayed sober. It's a miracle because I 100% believed I would never stay sober. I sat in open AA meetings for years and kept relapsing. Each time I was baffled...like WTF is wrong with me?! Why can't I get this?! I really feel the steps are the solution. More than happy to discuss more in detail - send me a private message if you like.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
I stopped drinking in 2013. Can't for the life of me stop smoking.
I completely agree with Ruby. I stopped drinking in Jan of 2013 and it was actually really easy (I know I was blessed when I read about all those struggling in the newcomers forum).
I still struggle with smoking. I quit in Nov of 2014 but whenever I feel stressed out, I start obsessing about a cigarette and I have caved in a few times and bought a pack.
You never know with addictions... but one thing I know for sure is I am so grateful that I quit and that I would not chance drinking again because
a) I am not sure if I ll make it back to recovery
b) Even if I make it back, it might be an horrible struggle to quit again.
The thing is that I want to be sober more than I want to be drunk.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi KeepPushing my advice would be sticking to a plan and that can be here at SR or in conjunction with other recovery programmes I went to AA at first for 3 months & then for 11 months & I learnt a lot there just by listening

Having a plan can involve a number of things you will do to remain sober I went group therapy & individual therapy aswell as journalling most nights at home & was in touch with a alcoholic outreach team arranged by my local hospital

I also started reconnecting with my family by visiting them regularly & although it took time it has been overall so worthwhile I have 2 beautiful neice's who i dote on

I took some short college courses to learn some new skills & passed !

Here are some useful links to help you with everything to get you started

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 02-24-2016, 12:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Hi Keeppushing:

I quit smoking in 1993 and I'd say the first 3-6 months were the toughest, but now I wouldn't smoke even if there were no health problems associated with it. I think it stinks - literally.

As for drinking, I quit last year on this date and I did it by using AVRT. The first 3 months were difficult and it took me those 3 months before I finally was able to make my big plan and promise to never drink again and never change my mind - NO MATTER WHAT. Simple plan.

Now food - well, that is my Everest now. I haven't got that under control, but I did start going to the gym on a regular basis back in September, so it is counteracting the food intake. It's the snacking that is getting me and I know exactly why I'm doing it - it's my way of soothing myself now. I've some issues that are getting in the way and I am working on finding new ways of dealing with it.

So yeah - some kind of plan is what works for a variety of issues.

Pulling for you,
CF