Notices

Time to come clean

Old 02-22-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time to come clean

Even if only in anonymity for now. I drink, daily. Just wait for that time for the store to open. On days I don't overdo it, I go to work, to sleep with my boss, which usually starts at the bar. I have real feelings for this man. We're both married, looking to separate our jobs. Hasn't happened yet. I've been with him sober and drinking. I don't know what to do, how to stop this madness, which direction to turn next. I know I need to take care of me but I have no clue how to do that. I guess I'm just posting to put it out there, maybe it's a tiptoe in the right direction.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sober and focusing on me is my goal, just wish I didn't have this twist. I guess there's always something. Just getting through today is enough for now.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Goingnowhere. Your posting here says you believe alcohol is a problem in your life. That's a great place to start. You will find tons of support here.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh yeah. An unmanageable life. Been there, done that. Like you, I had NO idea how to change the mess I was living in. My suggestion is to go to a big book AA meeting and get a sponsor well versed in the process of the 12 steps of recovery. Once I did that my life started to change. My sponsor gave me directions to follow...and little by little my actions changed, then my life changed, and now my thinking is changing. It's been an amazing transformation. My best to you.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

As Bunny said, my life was also an unmanageable mess. I was so lost and so desperate to get out of it, that I got willing to get help and listen to someone else for a change, because I knew I sure as hell didn't know what to do.

AA also helped me, it showed me how to change my thinking and my life got better; I can now make good decisions for myself, I have self-respect and can look people in the eye today. Life is good.

Welcome! This is a great place to find the information and support you need to turn things around for yourself.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

As others have said, if you stop drinking and begin to live a sober life, you will be able to deal with others issues that are bothering you. I hope you keep posting.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GoingNowhere View Post
Even if only in anonymity for now. I drink, daily. Just wait for that time for the store to open. On days I don't overdo it, I go to work, to sleep with my boss, which usually starts at the bar. I have real feelings for this man. We're both married, looking to separate our jobs. Hasn't happened yet. I've been with him sober and drinking. I don't know what to do, how to stop this madness, which direction to turn next. I know I need to take care of me but I have no clue how to do that. I guess I'm just posting to put it out there, maybe it's a tiptoe in the right direction.
well... I've been there before.

Not with a boss, but with a colleague. Twice, actually.

With the benefit of sobriety and hindsight I now see how sad I actually was, how deluded in the throes of an affair. I was in "love" the first time. Just "having fun" the second. Both times, I was filled with guilt and shame at what I was doing and had become - but wouldn't admit it to myself. Justified it. Drank it away.

I'm glad those days are behind me now, along with the booze, and my self-love and self-care have replaced my self-destruction.

I wish you the best and hope that you'll take a step toward your own self-loving, self-caring spaces and begin with sobriety.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Good first step, GN -- acknowledging you have a problem. Do some reading around here, think how the lessons here apply to you.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome GN
Old 02-22-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR GoingNowhere

I agree with the others - a little sober time gavwe me the clarity and perspective to sort out my mess of a life

You'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 02-22-2016, 03:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome - it's great to meet you GoingNowhere.

I agree that you need a clear head to sort this complicated situation out. Drinking seems to help us cope, but it does just the opposite. I'm glad you're looking to make a big change in your life.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

I've never seen an extramarital relationship come to a happy ending, so I believe you should brace yourself for a bumpy landing.

It does sound like you're in quite a pickle, but no worse than where I've been in my past. If you want it and are willing to work for it, you can get to a healthy, honest, sober life. Without alcohol and without adultery.

Are you a person of faith, or more secular in your outlook? If you believe in God, I suggest visiting almost any local church and ask if there's someone who can meet with you and pray with you for about an hour. If you're secular, reach out to a therapist.

As for alcohol, talk to a therapist or counselor about your use. It may make sense for you to get help for alcohol misuse. There are many methods and approaches. Google AA, SMART recovery, Women for Sobriety, and Celebrate Recovery for starters. Some use the well-known 12-step philosophy and others don't. (I was not helped by 12-step groups, but others are.) Find what works for you and don't let anyone tell you there's only one way to skin the cat.

The important thing is to stop letting yourself be carried along on this tide which is taking you in the wrong direction. Put your oars in the water and take some action to start making a change.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

No doubt this will be a rough road ahead no matter what you choose to do. Here you can find lots of support and wisdom. Having some sober time will help you find your way. Good luck and I hope you can get healthy.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well, step 1 done. I ended up needing medical assistance to get through the bad part, so I went to the ER. They got me over the hump and I'm home now. I spoke with a psychiatrist while there that told me about a group (not AA) I'm going to check it out. I think the next meeting is Friday afternoon. Hope I can get out of work.
I don't know what to do about the rest, but I'll focus on me right now. Thank you all for not getting all judgemental about my situation. I'm glad this a safe place to get it out.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
p***enger

Good job taking that first step, GN. Maybe you should change your username?

As for the extra "twist", one of the suggestions in early recovery is to make no major decisions in the first year. It's not a rule or anything, but I agree w/others that you should keep the focus on *you* for a while, not on other people in your life.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

One foot in front the other, if I keep doing that it has to take me somewhere!
Old 02-24-2016, 11:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

it will GN sounded like me with the hospital and then AA

Congrats bud if you ever want to talk drop a pm
Old 02-25-2016, 02:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Some unsolicited advice: get rid of the booze, make sure you're sober for a few days, then seriously rethink the affair thing. Right now you're heading for a brick wall with your foot on the accelerator.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice. I'll think over matters in a few days time. Right now I need to get through my first few days and then look over how booze played a part in the affair even starting. First things first, don't drink today.