Notices

Just joined!

Old 02-22-2016, 02:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just joined!

Hi, I am a middle aged female. My drinking habit is on an evening after a long days work 6am-8.30pm (self employed) I tend to open up a bottle of wine, intention is to drink a glass the reality is the bottle then some more if I can find it. I never drink and drive or daytime drink so for me it is the evenings. Is it affecting my life? Well not too much, the occassional sending stupid emails and texts when drunk or next day feeling ropey, I have had days where I cannot remember the previous evening at all. However I am aware it now takes more alcohol to have an effect and therefore realise I am slipping down a slope. My reasons for stopping are health, wanting to feel more alert the next day and also cost. One of my problems is my husband, when I decide to stop he wanders in with a bottle of wine (thinking he is being kind) and also he likes to sit and drink and eat and I strangely feel obliged to sit there. I also very aware, I lost my parents when I was young, and I know for certain my mother would definitely be on my case about it. I suppose the fact I am here is in itself stating I believe there is a problem. Thank you for reading.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like me a few years ago hun but believe me it only gets worse! One bottle has no effect so you open another and possibly another. I know that's what happened to me.

Both me and my ex drank wine together and at first it was nice to relax together drinking over dinner but it soon got out of hand and we would end up arguing who had had the most.

You are right to have come here - you know you have a problem and its great that you have realised that. Im pretty new here too so for now I would recommend reading the posts and have a nosey round the forum.

Take care of u xxx
Old 02-22-2016, 03:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome cleanthrough

I know you'll find a lot of support and understanding here.

Do you think you can talk to your husband & bring him on board with what you're trying to do?

D
Old 02-22-2016, 03:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

cleanthough I could have written your post four years ago, with the exception of the husband. I was a bottle of wine a night after work drinker. It's not good for your health or brain. The fact that you're blacking out on some periods of time is an indication of memory impairment.

I would hate to go back to the way I was because I'm so much more relaxed now, not having to worry about how much I drink. The mornings are the best.

If you really want to do this, have a serious talk with your husband and ask for his help. Maybe you could do it together, but even if it's just you, it's worth it.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome. Glad to have you. I had a similar situation with my wife. I had to sit down and have a heart to heart with her about my problem with alcohol.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Cleanthrough
Old 02-22-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, glad you are here!! My drinking head very similar to yours. I never drank during the day, however, would drink wine at night. My intentions were very much the same, just one glass, which eventually led to just one bottle and often opening a second.

Spend some time readin and posting on here, you will find lots of support. Looking forward to seeing you on SR!
Old 02-22-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome cleanthrough

I think a lot of people start out with a glass of wine before/after dinner. I'm one of them. Before I knew it my tolerance went up and one bottle wasn't enough.

I'm glad you found us!
Old 02-22-2016, 07:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

recognizing the slippery slope is a good start....

getting the hell OFF that slope is the next and trickier step.

Welcome.