Notices

7 weeks

Old 02-21-2016, 12:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

7 weeks

Hi, i last had a drink at the end of December 2015 just over 7 weeks ago. I was drinking 6 to 9 cans of lager 5-6 days a week for about 18 months (500ml cans of 5% lager). I was feeling quite good like i was making progress until a few days ago when i started to feel run down, depressed and stressed. The same thing happened last week as well. I have 2 questions if anyone can help? Firstly is it likely that i was alcohol dependent from my levels of drinking and secondly is it normal to feel down and depressed after not drinking for 7 weeks?

Last edited by dan16; 02-21-2016 at 01:03 PM. Reason: submitted by mistake (post not finished)
Old 02-21-2016, 01:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It is possible you were physically dependent on it since you were drinking so often. And early recovery can be a rough ride for a while, with feelings all over the place.

If the fatigue and depression persists, see your doctor.

Congrats on seven weeks sober!
Old 02-21-2016, 01:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome & Congratulations Dan
Old 02-21-2016, 01:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Search on "post acute withdrawal syndrome"...it's very common. I'm about where you are on day 52 and yesterday all I did was lump on the couch and power eat junk. Today is much better.

Oh and congratulations...
Old 02-21-2016, 01:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for replying My feelings are all over the place! One day ok, next day really down, day after stressed or anxious etc, then feel ok again. Its a bit of a rollercoaster ride at the moment
Old 02-21-2016, 03:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi again. Sorry to be a pain but is feeling dizzy a normal part of withdrawal? At first it was a couple of times every other day, now maybe once a week. Should i get checked out by the doctor or give it a bit more time. I read that it's easy to be misdiagnosed during withdrawal because of PAWS etc
Old 02-21-2016, 03:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dan I wouldn't have said feeling dizzy after 7 weeks was normal. Why not check with your Dr?

D
Old 02-21-2016, 04:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi D, i should do but finding things difficult. I was hoping stopping drinking would make me feel better. Ive been a compulsive gambler for the last 8 years (and have the debts to prove it) but managed to get it under control 9 months ago when i started going to GA which has saved my life. However when i stopped gambling 9 months ago i started drinking a lot more and started replacing one addiction for another. The good thing is i recognised what was happening reasonably early but things seem really hard

Last edited by dan16; 02-21-2016 at 04:13 PM. Reason: submitted by mistake (post not finished)
Old 02-21-2016, 04:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Hiya Dan, congrats on seven sober weeks.

I don't think light-headedness is recovery-related, but if you haven't been eating well maybe that could be a cause? I agree that you should see a doc about that.

I'm approaching a month here, and while my emotional swings have settled down, there for a while it was pretty scary how wide and intense they were. I have gotten a good grip on my feelings by practicing mindfulness, practicing gratitude, and invoking the Serenity Prayer. Hope that helps.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dan16 View Post
Hi again. Sorry to be a pain but is feeling dizzy a normal part of withdrawal? At first it was a couple of times every other day, now maybe once a week. Should i get checked out by the doctor or give it a bit more time. I read that it's easy to be misdiagnosed during withdrawal because of PAWS etc
I was dizzy for well after 60 days when going sober last time. Now granted it wasn't very bad by then, but yeah I think it's normal. PAWS is a real thing and can be uncomfortable, but it does eventually pass.

Hang in there!
Old 02-21-2016, 07:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had a chronic fuzzy headed feeling for a long time after I quit. Is that what you are talking about? If so I believe that is common and normal, but a chronic can't keep my balance condition does not seem normal. Like Dee said - if you are not sure it is best to see a doctor.

A physical dependence- I believe that is yes and that is what makes quitting so hard.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Dan,

Congratulations on 7 weeks. Like Aries, I am on Day 52. I have had some lazy days, but not feeling dizzy. It wouldn't hurt to check in with your doctor. I work at a school and we have had a lot of sick students and staff the past few weeks.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dan16 View Post
Hi, i last had a drink at the end of December 2015 just over 7 weeks ago. I was drinking 6 to 9 cans of lager 5-6 days a week for about 18 months (500ml cans of 5% lager). I was feeling quite good like i was making progress until a few days ago when i started to feel run down, depressed and stressed. The same thing happened last week as well. I have 2 questions if anyone can help? Firstly is it likely that i was alcohol dependent from my levels of drinking and secondly is it normal to feel down and depressed after not drinking for 7 weeks?
Yes and yes, Dan... Awesome being sober, eh??
Old 02-23-2016, 02:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ok so its 8 weeks since i last had a drink and just under 9 months since i last gambled. Felt extremely tired and low this morning but feel a bit better now, my mood changes like the weather here in the uk lol. Hope things will become a bit more stable at some point
Old 02-23-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've been pretty up and down emotionally these last several days too, so understand what you're feeling. I'm about three weeks sober this latest go around. I try to focus on my days sober and you should too as 8 weeks is a big accomplishment!

Hang in there!
Old 02-23-2016, 04:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Plure, I was expecting a couple of rough weeks going through withdrawal then to be cured, I now realise that I was wrong lol. One thing im certain about as that riding it out will be well worth it in the long run. When i think of taking a drink i immediately try to replace it with the thought of a hang over, its not much but its been a valuable tool for me so far
Old 02-23-2016, 05:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think they will get more stable dan - they did with me - hang in there

D
Old 02-23-2016, 05:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm about where you are at as well. I have 59 days under my belt. I have been an emotional/physical rollercoaster. The dizziness I have had some of it. Anxiety is a huge one as well. I will get mild anxiety attacks and that is when the dizziness starts. I'm not a doctor nor will play one on the internet. I'm just learning about my body on how it is adjusting through this. Yes you may be physically dependent, like suggested above research PAWS. Good job so far, and good luck

Last edited by Rachinator; 02-23-2016 at 05:37 PM. Reason: missing info
Old 02-23-2016, 06:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Nice work on your time!!

How's your diet are you eating healthy? Are you getting any exercise?

I'd go to the doctor and get a physical.. They will do some blood work and find out where you are.. I do an annual physical around my birthday every year so you won't forget,,it's a good habit to get into.
Take care if yourself..
Old 02-24-2016, 04:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Diet is not brilliant tbh. Cereal, fruit and a vitamin tablet for breakfast, sandwich for lunch then usually a take away for tea (curry, pizza, chinese or kebab) I work in an office and do very little exercise.