Notices

It's not just about drinking or not drinking

Old 02-21-2016, 11:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's not just about drinking or not drinking

Something I want to share from experience, what I've seen in people around me and on this forum as well, is that it's not just about drinking or not drinking.

It's about who you are.

Alcohol doesn't just get you drunk. It changes who you are. Alcoholism, over time, changes who you are. It goes deep.

When you quit drinking, you will return to the person you originally were. Not perfect, you will still have flaws and stuff to work on likely. But it brings you back. The real you.

I don't think many people realize this. I'm not talking about the people on this forum, but in everyday life. Even a one-night bender makes people different from who they really are. The classic example is when someone wakes up in bed with a stranger. Not remembering who they are.

Over time, alcoholism shapes you into a poor version of yourself. It goes beyond drinking, it goes into your identity.

Good thing is, you return to your real self when you quit.

I have 12 days sober now. I was a very shy person with social anxiety. That is fading quickly. It would have faded years ago had I not started drinking though. Drinking just prevents you from processing things properly and makes it so you don't get over things.

Sure, some things are hard. But they will go. You can always get help if you need to.

Alcohol influences the brain. The brain is the center of who you are.

The more sober time I get, the more I see the devastation alcohol causes.

It can run deep. Quit and recover.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Totally agree xoxo
Old 02-21-2016, 11:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Mike.

Great post.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I got sober for good, I didn't just get myself back. I got a whole new self, better than the old one. After years of hating myself, I finally like my life again.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I could not agree more. I've noticed I'm returning to my old self with each day sober. I'm back into my old hobbies and excited about things I just forgot about when I was caught up in drinking. I almost feel like I've gone back in time to my late teens / early 20s before I started drinking and it just gets stronger every day. Feeling so happy and free again just reinforces my complete and total commitment to never let alcohol into my life again. It brought nothing to the table for me but negativity and poor health. I've become a much, much more positive thinking person since I cut alcohol out of my life. I can see the same happening to you, Mike. Well done and keep up the fantastic work!
Old 02-21-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Mike for day 12 you are doing fantastic I hope your feeling a bit more better today

Keep on keeping on you sir are a breath of fresh air - inspiring
Old 02-21-2016, 01:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I totally agree but it is also hard because if you were drinking to escape who you are and what you feel. At some point that is what you are dealing with and that is a hard one.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Drinking covered up who I didn't want to be - sobriety, as least posted - allows me clarity of body , mind and spirit allowing me to find the truth of who I am.

Once discovered I can start to accept myself and perhaps work on those attributes I find distasteful. I can give and not just take.

Many "are anxious to improve their circumstances, but are unwilling to improve themselves; they therefore remain bound ."

Great job Mike on time unserved!
Old 02-21-2016, 02:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by lost2010 View Post
I totally agree but it is also hard because if you were drinking to escape who you are and what you feel. At some point that is what you are dealing with and that is a hard one.
I dunno - I found who I'd convinced myself I was, and who I actually was were two entirely different things lost?

D
Old 02-21-2016, 03:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Mike, this is so true for me as well. Thanks for saying it so clearly!
Old 02-21-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I guess I just find it hard, because for me (not that it has to be the same for everybody) there was so much pain from the past that even when I was with my counsellor the wall I had built was so big getting past it seems impossible. I have tried just moving forward and letting go but I still struggle to move on. My counsellor used to have this thing to help me with my feelings because I can't cry, she would see me get upset and then pull back, she would stop me and try to bring me back so I would cry. I still really can't do it. I guess in trying to respond to this post all I am saying is that I agree because u can stop drinking but there is so much more to deal with after.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes addiction interferes with being the real you which is also prevents you from living honestly...
Old 02-21-2016, 10:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I totally agree.

Some days, sober I get a rush of exhilaration and I feel like a child again, I feel innocent, hopeful, optimistic. It's a lovely feeling but then I feel scared because it's almost like I'm back to that age before I started drinking / drugging (13 in my case) and it's like I've got to build a new me from that point, which is now 27 years, a husband and 2 children later...

I'm seeing a counsellor and I look forward to discussing this with her at my next session.

Mike - you're doing great by the way, I didn't expect to see you still posting sober, well done : )))
Old 02-22-2016, 08:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well stated, Mike!!
Old 02-22-2016, 08:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats on 12 days, Mike!
Great post!
Old 02-22-2016, 08:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Great post! Only thing I find fault with is "When you quit drinking, you will return to the person you originally were." I don't think this is the case, because the person I originally was turned to alcohol. I think we turn into a sober form with parts of us, but with the wisdom, truth and trials with us.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maffers View Post
Great post! Only thing I find fault with is "When you quit drinking, you will return to the person you originally were." I don't think this is the case, because the person I originally was turned to alcohol. I think we turn into a sober form with parts of us, but with the wisdom, truth and trials with us.
Well put.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Excellent post. It took me a year to get to where you are in 12 days. Congrats

The longer I'm sober the drunken I was. Sobriety is a gift and the revelations just keep on coming